Solved WOrd 2003: Table shading nightmare

ululator

I once created a table with alternate shaded rows in Word 2003… & now, Word automatically formats EVERY table I create on ANY document with those #$%& colored stripes! I have to go into Borders > Shading again & again to remove them. Even just altering a table (adding/deleting rows or columns, etc.) causes Word to add the shading again.

I’ve cleared the stripes (repeatedly), & tried setting the plain (unshaded) table as the Default, but that doesn’t help. When I select Format > Styles & Formatting > Table Grid > Modify… that horrible shading stays, no matter what.
In fact, no matter which setting I select in the “Style based on” drop-down, the dreaded stripes display even there.

I’m desperate. Help! Make it stop!!!

Attachments

• Table format.jpg
    Table format.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 88

My Computer

I’ve found a solution, albeit accidentally.

TABLE GRID was the problematical Default style that Word kept reverting to (although ALL the Default Table Styles – every single darn one of them – had those pesky alternate-shaded rows.)

* HERE’S THE FIX *

I went into STYLES & FORMATTING,
Selected TABLE GRID from the list,
Opened its drop-down menu, &
Selected DELETE.

Deleting the TABLE GRID default from the STYLES & FORMATTING list it doesn’t actually remove it… It just resets to the Word default Normal.dot formatting.
And miraculously, it removed that awful shading from all the other Default styles in the list!

At any rate… Hallelujah! It’s cured!

Last edited:

My Computer

Back