• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:)" message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Judge

#1
On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program. The back-up
apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:)
disk.

Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:
"Low Disk Space
You are runing out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this
drive by delteing old or unnecessary files, click here..."

When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."
The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recylce Bin," but both have
"0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.

When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the
program starts by "Creating a shadow copy." However, I then get a message:
"An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files.
Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."

If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.
But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.

I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to
start over again. However, there appears to be some files that came already
installed on RECOVERY D. However, I see a folder called "Backup Set
2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June
6. Should I just delete that folder and try again? Or is there some other
way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program? I will appreciate
advice.
 
C

Charlie Tame

#2
Robert Judge wrote:

> On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program. The back-up
> apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:)
> disk.
>
> Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:
> "Low Disk Space
> You are runing out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this
> drive by delteing old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>
> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."
> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recylce Bin," but both have
> "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>
> When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the
> program starts by "Creating a shadow copy." However, I then get a message:
> "An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files.
> Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."
>
> If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.
> But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.
>
> I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to
> start over again. However, there appears to be some files that came already
> installed on RECOVERY D. However, I see a folder called "Backup Set
> 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June
> 6. Should I just delete that folder and try again? Or is there some other
> way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program? I will appreciate
> advice.
>
Wait for other answers please, just to make sure.

I think the D drive is only going to be made large enough to take what
the OEM thought should go there (Plus a bit of spare space of course),

An incomplete backup file is probably quite useless anyway, so yes that
it what I think you should delete.

My other suggestion would be to avoid using the D drive for anything at
all, if you overwrite something important on it you will not be able to
use it to restore your system to factory defaults.

You could consider backing up that partition onto CD / DVD whatever or
ask the makers for a set of recovery disks, otherwise if it goes south
you may end up having to buy a retail Vista. At least if you had it on
removable media you would stand a chance if the drive itself ever fails
- it does happen I have a year old Seagate peperweight here right now.
 
M

Mick Murphy

#3
Your D: Partition is a partition set up on your computer by the Manufacturer
in case of serious problems in the Vista operation system.
DO NOT TOUCH IT.

You are supposed to make recovery DVDs from it to reinstall Vista in case of
complete Hard Drive failure.
Also, at Startup, there is an F Key option to reinstall vista from it, back
to factory standards, in case of System crash.
To Backup your System/Data, buy an external Hard drive, and save to that.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia


"Robert Judge" wrote:

> On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program. The back-up
> apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:)
> disk.
>
> Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:
> "Low Disk Space
> You are runing out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this
> drive by delteing old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>
> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."
> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recylce Bin," but both have
> "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>
> When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the
> program starts by "Creating a shadow copy." However, I then get a message:
> "An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files.
> Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."
>
> If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.
> But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.
>
> I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to
> start over again. However, there appears to be some files that came already
> installed on RECOVERY D. However, I see a folder called "Backup Set
> 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June
> 6. Should I just delete that folder and try again? Or is there some other
> way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program? I will appreciate
> advice.
>
 
M

Mike Hall - MVP

#4
"Robert Judge" <RobertJudge@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4A959923-8768-43BD-882B-F6BD35A49EBD@xxxxxx

> On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program. The
> back-up
> apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:)
> disk.
>
> Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:
> "Low Disk Space
> You are runing out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this
> drive by delteing old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>
> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."
> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recylce Bin," but both
> have
> "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>
> When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the
> program starts by "Creating a shadow copy." However, I then get a
> message:
> "An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files.
> Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."
>
> If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.
> But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.
>
> I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to
> start over again. However, there appears to be some files that came
> already
> installed on RECOVERY D. However, I see a folder called "Backup Set
> 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on
> June
> 6. Should I just delete that folder and try again? Or is there some
> other
> way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program? I will
> appreciate
> advice.
>

Backup programs look for a drive or partition other than C because the very
last place that a backup should be deposited..

In your case, it found another partition which unfortunately turned out to
be the manufacturer recovery partition.

It is only just large enough to contain the files to return your computer to
how it was when you first powered it up plus enough free space such that the
computer does not flash up an 'out of space' warning.

Remove any backup files you have sent to the D drive, and all will return to
normal again...

If you want to do proper backups, get a one touch backup device which will
come with its own easy to use software, or get an external USB hard drive
and Acronis TrueImage software..


--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc
Mike's Window - My Blog..
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
 
K

Ken Blake, MVP

#5
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 14:51:01 -0700, Robert Judge
<RobertJudge@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program. The back-up
> apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:)
> disk.
>
> Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:
> "Low Disk Space
> You are runing out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this
> drive by delteing old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>
> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."
> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recylce Bin," but both have
> "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>
> When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the
> program starts by "Creating a shadow copy." However, I then get a message:
> "An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files.
> Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."
>
> If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.
> But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.
>
> I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to
> start over again.

No, no, no! Do *not* do that!

Your recovery partition (D:) is one provided by the OEM who built your
computer. It contains the files needed for you to restore Windows
should that be necessary. They provide that in lieu of a Windows CD.

It is not there for you to store your backups nor for you to use for
any other purpose. In fact you should not touch it at all.

Be aware that this is almost certainly not a separate disk, but merely
a partition on your *only* disk. For that reason, even if you could
store backups there, it's a terrible place for them anyway (for the
same reason, it's not good for the files to restore Windows to be
there, but that's all you have; don't lose it). If your drive dies,
all your backups would die with it. If your data is important to you,
its backups need to be on external media.

For more information on backups, read this article on backup
strategies I recently wrote:
http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=314


> However, there appears to be some files that came already
> installed on RECOVERY D.
Yes, the files that are there to restore Windows if necessary. That's
all that should be there.


However, I see a folder called "Backup Set

> 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June
> 6. Should I just delete that folder and try again? Or is there some other
> way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program? I will appreciate
> advice.
--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
 
R

richard j

#6
I have had the same problem with RECOVERY D: being full.
I also used the Backup routine and it filled D:

Did you find a solution?
Did you delete the backup from D: ?
If so How did you do this?
Thank you.

"Robert Judge" wrote:

> On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program. The back-up
> apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:)
> disk.
>
> Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:
> "Low Disk Space
> You are runing out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this
> drive by delteing old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>
> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."
> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recylce Bin," but both have
> "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>
> When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the
> program starts by "Creating a shadow copy." However, I then get a message:
> "An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files.
> Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."
>
> If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.
> But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.
>
> I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to
> start over again. However, there appears to be some files that came already
> installed on RECOVERY D. However, I see a folder called "Backup Set
> 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June
> 6. Should I just delete that folder and try again? Or is there some other
> way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program? I will appreciate
> advice.
>
 
K

Ken Blake, MVP

#7
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 08:48:00 -0700, richard j <richard
j@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I have had the same problem with RECOVERY D: being full.
> I also used the Backup routine and it filled D:
>
> Did you find a solution?
> Did you delete the backup from D: ?
> If so How did you do this?

Two very important points here:

1. First of all, that Recovery Partition on D: is *not* there for you
to put backups on it. The manufacturer of your computer put it there
in lieu of supplying you with a Windows DVD. It's there for you to
restore the system to factory condition, should it become necessary.
Do *nothing* with that partition other than following the
manufacturer's instructions (if they provided them) for burning its
contents to a DVD.

2. Even if that (or some other) partition were available for use as
backup, that would be the single worst and weakest form of backup
there is. It is better than no backup at all, but just barely. It
leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and backup
to many of the most common dangers: user errors, severe power
glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the
computer. Real backup needs to be on media stored externally to the
computer.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
 
S

Stacy B.

#8
__________
Greetings,
I have been recieving "low disc space, recovery D" notices for some time now
and don't seem to be finding a fix I feel applies or that I want to risk
trying. Is this a windows Vista Premium issue or a manufacturers (Dell 530
inspiron) thing? Single hard drive with partician for D.

I believe my Windows "backup" was preset to backup to "Recovery drive D"
(why is that even an option?) for some reason and I was unwittingly using it
as such. Now I have the disk full + message fequently.

Is there a way to accurately and safely identify and remove my
inappropriately "backed up" files from that disk (D)? I do have the DVD's for
the original OS, drivers,ect.

Also; would/should new "Windows updates" automatically be stored onto the
"Recovery d." I have been reluctant to download them since stoage there is
maxxed out.

Any other options for feedback/research, or links gladly accepted.

Thanks, Stacy B.
______________


"Robert Judge" wrote:

> On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program. The back-up
> apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:)
> disk.
>
> Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:
> "Low Disk Space
> You are runing out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this
> drive by delteing old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>
> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."
> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recylce Bin," but both have
> "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>
> When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the
> program starts by "Creating a shadow copy." However, I then get a message:
> "An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files.
> Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."
>
> If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.
> But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.
>
> I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to
> start over again. However, there appears to be some files that came already
> installed on RECOVERY D. However, I see a folder called "Backup Set
> 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on June
> 6. Should I just delete that folder and try again? Or is there some other
> way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program? I will appreciate
> advice.
>
 
M

Mike Hall - MVP

#9
"Stacy B." <StacyB@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:AF931909-1948-4072-9EB9-C441963BD39A@xxxxxx

> __________
> Greetings,
> I have been recieving "low disc space, recovery D" notices for some time
> now
> and don't seem to be finding a fix I feel applies or that I want to risk
> trying. Is this a windows Vista Premium issue or a manufacturers (Dell 530
> inspiron) thing? Single hard drive with partician for D.
>
> I believe my Windows "backup" was preset to backup to "Recovery drive D"
> (why is that even an option?) for some reason and I was unwittingly using
> it
> as such. Now I have the disk full + message fequently.
>
> Is there a way to accurately and safely identify and remove my
> inappropriately "backed up" files from that disk (D)? I do have the DVD's
> for
> the original OS, drivers,ect.
>
> Also; would/should new "Windows updates" automatically be stored onto the
> "Recovery d." I have been reluctant to download them since stoage there is
> maxxed out.
>
> Any other options for feedback/research, or links gladly accepted.
>
> Thanks, Stacy B.
> ______________
>
>
> "Robert Judge" wrote:
>

>> On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program. The
>> back-up
>> apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:)
>> disk.
>>
>> Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:
>> "Low Disk Space
>> You are runing out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this
>> drive by delteing old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>>
>> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."
>> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recylce Bin," but both
>> have
>> "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>>
>> When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the
>> program starts by "Creating a shadow copy." However, I then get a
>> message:
>> "An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files.
>> Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."
>>
>> If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.
>> But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.
>>
>> I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to
>> start over again. However, there appears to be some files that came
>> already
>> installed on RECOVERY D. However, I see a folder called "Backup Set
>> 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on
>> June
>> 6. Should I just delete that folder and try again? Or is there some
>> other
>> way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program? I will
>> appreciate
>> advice.
>>

The recovery partition is sized by the manufacturer to hold only the
recovery stuff and enough space such that no 'lack of space' warning is
produced by the system..

Windows Backup is not set by default to save to the recovery partition. What
it does is look for any drive or partition which isn't the system drive,
because backups should NEVER be saved to the same drive where the operating
system is.

In your case, the only other drive or partition just happened to be the
recovery partition.

To clear what you have backed up to the partition, you need to know the name
file(s). If you are not sure, go through the process of backing something up
and see what name is given. Cancel the backup, and then look on the recovery
partition for something very similar. Then delete whatever you find.

If you want to backup, either use the CD/DVD burning software, or purchase a
one touch backup solution (external hard drive and software package).



--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc
Mike's Window - My Blog..
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
 
K

Ken Blake, MVP

#10
On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 15:00:00 -0700, Stacy B.
<StacyB@xxxxxx> wrote:

> __________
> Greetings,
> I have been recieving "low disc space, recovery D" notices for some time now
> and don't seem to be finding a fix I feel applies or that I want to risk
> trying. Is this a windows Vista Premium issue or a manufacturers (Dell 530
> inspiron) thing? Single hard drive with partician for D.
>
> I believe my Windows "backup" was preset to backup to "Recovery drive D"
> (why is that even an option?) for some reason and I was unwittingly using it
> as such. Now I have the disk full + message fequently.

The recovery partition is *not* meant as a place for you to backup to,
or anything else for that matter. It's a partition created by Dell for
the sole purpose of providing a place for them to give you the files
required to reinstall Windows. It is not there for you to do anything
else with.

Do not backup there, or do anything else there.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
 
S

Stacy B.

#11
--
Stacy B.


"Mike Hall - MVP" wrote:

> "Stacy B." <StacyB@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:AF931909-1948-4072-9EB9-C441963BD39A@xxxxxx

> > __________
> > Greetings,
> > I have been recieving "low disc space, recovery D" notices for some time
> > now
> > and don't seem to be finding a fix I feel applies or that I want to risk
> > trying. Is this a windows Vista Premium issue or a manufacturers (Dell 530
> > inspiron) thing? Single hard drive with partician for D.
> >
> > I believe my Windows "backup" was preset to backup to "Recovery drive D"
> > (why is that even an option?) for some reason and I was unwittingly using
> > it
> > as such. Now I have the disk full + message fequently.
> >
> > Is there a way to accurately and safely identify and remove my
> > inappropriately "backed up" files from that disk (D)? I do have the DVD's
> > for
> > the original OS, drivers,ect.
> >
> > Also; would/should new "Windows updates" automatically be stored onto the
> > "Recovery d." I have been reluctant to download them since stoage there is
> > maxxed out.
> >
> > Any other options for feedback/research, or links gladly accepted.
> >
> > Thanks, Stacy B.
> > ______________
> >
> >
> > "Robert Judge" wrote:
> >

> >> On my new VISTA PC, I tried to use the built-in Backup program. The
> >> back-up
> >> apparently failed because there was not enough room on the "RECOVERY (D:)
> >> disk.
> >>
> >> Now, when I re-start my new VISTA PC, I get this message:
> >> "Low Disk Space
> >> You are runing out of disk space on RECOVERY (D:). To free space on this
> >> drive by delteing old or unnecessary files, click here..."
> >>
> >> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D:)."
> >> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recylce Bin," but both
> >> have
> >> "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
> >>
> >> When I open the Backup and Restore center and try to backup files, the
> >> program starts by "Creating a shadow copy." However, I then get a
> >> message:
> >> "An error occurred...There is not enough space to save the backup files.
> >> Free up disk space or change yur backup settings. (0x81000005)."
> >>
> >> If I have limited space on "RECOVERY D," I only need to backup Documents.
> >> But even when I only check "Documents," I get the same error message.
> >>
> >> I am thinking that I should delete the contents of RECOERY D and try to
> >> start over again. However, there appears to be some files that came
> >> already
> >> installed on RECOVERY D. However, I see a folder called "Backup Set
> >> 2008-06-08 193208," which I assume is the failed backup that I tried on
> >> June
> >> 6. Should I just delete that folder and try again? Or is there some
> >> other
> >> way I should try to use the "Backup and Restore" program? I will
> >> appreciate
> >> advice.
> >>
>
>
> The recovery partition is sized by the manufacturer to hold only the
> recovery stuff and enough space such that no 'lack of space' warning is
> produced by the system..
>
> Windows Backup is not set by default to save to the recovery partition. What
> it does is look for any drive or partition which isn't the system drive,
> because backups should NEVER be saved to the same drive where the operating
> system is.
>
> In your case, the only other drive or partition just happened to be the
> recovery partition.
>
> To clear what you have backed up to the partition, you need to know the name
> file(s). If you are not sure, go through the process of backing something up
> and see what name is given. Cancel the backup, and then look on the recovery
> partition for something very similar. Then delete whatever you find.
>
> If you want to backup, either use the CD/DVD burning software, or purchase a
> one touch backup solution (external hard drive and software package).
>
>
>
> --
> Mike Hall - MVP
> How to construct a good post..
> http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
> How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc
> Mike's Window - My Blog..
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
>
>
> Thanks, Mike and Ken both,
I understand what you say about not backing up anything to the recovery D.
And I also get the idea that Recovery is maybe nothing to even tinker with so
I haven't yet.
I am not very experienced with the administrative options with my OS but can
take directions: In laymans terms how would you recommend that I ID my prior
backup files that need to be removed from "D" and step by step accomplish
such a feat; "ultimate removal of wrong files @ RECOVERY". Can I ID my prior
backup file names from the DVD's that I have used for recent backup?

Links available? Sincere thanks for your assistance...Stacy B.
 
G

Gerry C.

#12
I just found this thread...thanks for all the info so far. My problem is
that I [stupidly] deleted ALL the files in RECOVERY 'disk' D. Will system
restore bring that back?? Otherwise, I sense that I'll have to contact Dell.
( Inspiron E1505 Vista Home Premium SP1)
Thanks, all
Gerry

* * * * * *

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 15:00:00 -0700, Stacy B.
> <StacyB@xxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > __________
> > Greetings,
> > I have been recieving "low disc space, recovery D" notices for some time now
> > and don't seem to be finding a fix I feel applies or that I want to risk
> > trying. Is this a windows Vista Premium issue or a manufacturers (Dell 530
> > inspiron) thing? Single hard drive with partician for D.
> >
> > I believe my Windows "backup" was preset to backup to "Recovery drive D"
> > (why is that even an option?) for some reason and I was unwittingly using it
> > as such. Now I have the disk full + message fequently.
>
>
> The recovery partition is *not* meant as a place for you to backup to,
> or anything else for that matter. It's a partition created by Dell for
> the sole purpose of providing a place for them to give you the files
> required to reinstall Windows. It is not there for you to do anything
> else with.
>
> Do not backup there, or do anything else there.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>
 
M

Mike Hall - MVP

#13
"Gerry C." <Gerry C.@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:0DE3B384-B727-487C-85F8-D93224416FD0@xxxxxx

>I just found this thread...thanks for all the info so far. My problem is
> that I [stupidly] deleted ALL the files in RECOVERY 'disk' D. Will system
> restore bring that back?? Otherwise, I sense that I'll have to contact
> Dell.
> ( Inspiron E1505 Vista Home Premium SP1)
> Thanks, all
> Gerry
>
No. Windows System Restore will not bring back the recovery partition as it
is a creation by the manufacturer. You will indeed have to contact Dell..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc
Mike's Window - My Blog..
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
 
M

Malke

#14
Gerry C. wrote:

> I just found this thread...thanks for all the info so far. My problem is
> that I [stupidly] deleted ALL the files in RECOVERY 'disk' D. Will system
> restore bring that back?? Otherwise, I sense that I'll have to contact
> Dell.
> ( Inspiron E1505 Vista Home Premium SP1)
No, System Restore will not bring back those files. Contact Dell and order a
recovery disk.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
 
K

Ken Blake, MVP

#15
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 23:38:01 -0800, Gerry C. <Gerry
C.@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I just found this thread...thanks for all the info so far. My problem is
> that I [stupidly] deleted ALL the files in RECOVERY 'disk' D. Will system
> restore bring that back??

No.


> Otherwise, I sense that I'll have to contact Dell.

Yes, you should do that immediately, so you will have what you may
need in advance of your needing it.


> ( Inspiron E1505 Vista Home Premium SP1)
> Thanks, all
> Gerry
>
> * * * * * *
>
> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>

> > On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 15:00:00 -0700, Stacy B.
> > <StacyB@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > __________
> > > Greetings,
> > > I have been recieving "low disc space, recovery D" notices for some time now
> > > and don't seem to be finding a fix I feel applies or that I want to risk
> > > trying. Is this a windows Vista Premium issue or a manufacturers (Dell 530
> > > inspiron) thing? Single hard drive with partician for D.
> > >
> > > I believe my Windows "backup" was preset to backup to "Recovery drive D"
> > > (why is that even an option?) for some reason and I was unwittingly using it
> > > as such. Now I have the disk full + message fequently.
> >
> >
> > The recovery partition is *not* meant as a place for you to backup to,
> > or anything else for that matter. It's a partition created by Dell for
> > the sole purpose of providing a place for them to give you the files
> > required to reinstall Windows. It is not there for you to do anything
> > else with.
> >
> > Do not backup there, or do anything else there.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
> >
--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
 
G

Gordon

#16
"Gerry C." <Gerry C.@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:0DE3B384-B727-487C-85F8-D93224416FD0@xxxxxx

>I just found this thread...thanks for all the info so far. My problem is
> that I [stupidly] deleted ALL the files in RECOVERY 'disk' D. Will system
> restore bring that back?? Otherwise, I sense that I'll have to contact
> Dell.
> ( Inspiron E1505 Vista Home Premium SP1)
> Thanks, all
> Gerry
>

You may also be interested in this:
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

--
Asking a question?
Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
your OS, Service Pack level
and the FULL contents of any error message(s)
 
R

R. C. White

#18
Hi, Al.

"Al" <ajrjdr@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:eQEVx3pfKHA.1112@newsgroup

> The system volume cannot be extended by using Disk Management.
In some cases, the System Volume CAN be extended by Disk Management.

From the Help file in DM:
"For logical drives, boot, or system volumes, you can extend the volume only
into contiguous space and only if the disk can be upgraded to a dynamic
disk. For other volumes, you can extend the volume into noncontiguous space,
but you will be prompted to convert the disk to dynamic."

But, later on the same Help page:
"You cannot extend the current system or boot partitions."

My experience says that this Help file needs to be updated - for clarity and
consistency, if nothing else.

I have used DM to extend volumes, including boot volumes. I'm pretty sure
that I've even extended the CURRENT boot volume, but I can't recall that for
sure. Ditto with System Partitions.

Even if we can't extend the current boot or system partitions, in a
multi-boot system we can simply reboot into Vista to extend Win7's boot
partition, for example, or vice versa. And if we can boot from Disk 1, we
can then extend the non-current System Partition on Disk 0. In any case, of
course, there must be contiguous unallocated space following the partition
that we are extending (but see below).

My own system has 4 HDDs, with the 3rd and 4th as a RAID 1 mirror array,
thus Disk Management sees them as Disks 0, 1 and 2. The first partition on
each disk is primary, marked Active, and has been used at least once to run
Vista or Win7 Setup so that any one of the 3 can be used to boot the
computer. If Disk 0 has a problem, I can boot from Disk 1 or 2. My BIOS
allows me to change the boot device, of course, and it also allows me to
change that designation on a "one time only" basis. None of these System
Partitions contains an operating system; the rest of each HDD is an extended
partition, divided into multiple logical drives, some of which serve as boot
volumes for various Windows versions.

In fact, since any non-current System Partition is "just another partition"
to the current OS, when the first partition on Disk 0 has the System Status,
DM will gladly extend the first partition on Disk 2. It will even offer to
extend it dynamically onto free space on Disk 1! I have NOT tried this, so
I'm not sure that the partition on Disk 2 would still be bootable as a
System Partition, but Disk Management is willing to perform the extension.
If someone tries this, I'd like to know the result!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@newsgroup
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64
 
Status
Not open for further replies.