windows update just seems to hang while checking.


  1.    01 May 2017 #571
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 176
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
    Local Time: 21:20
    canada

     

    Re: windows update just seems to hang while checking.


    Quote Originally Posted by StormNinjaG View Post
    I don't think I've tried installing all these patches but with KB4012583 the installation failed with an error code of 80070057
    Hi StormNinjaG:

    An error 0x80070057 that occurs during a Windows Update means ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER- see the support article KB947821 Fix Windows Update Errors by Using the DISM or System Update Readiness Tool. I know of users who saw this error while running a Windows Update after they stopped or disabled their Windows Update service (wuauserv) or tried to run Windows Update after damaging or corrupting a Windows Update component, but this is the first time I've heard of someone seeing this error while installing a standalone .msu installer. These .msu installers are associated with the Windows Update Standalone Installer (C:\Windows\System32\wusa.exe) and can be installed on computers when the Windows Update service is stopped and/or the computer is disconnected from the internet so I'm not sure why a .msu installer would throw an error 0x80070057. Fortunately, there are still links in that support article to 32-bit and 64-bit Vista SP2 versions of Microsoft's System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) and if you continue to see this error that tool might be able to fix the problem.

    For now, try running through all six steps of instructions on page # 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours. If you encounter a problem and the notes at the bottom of the instructions don't help then post back and let me know what happened. Knowing some background information like whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit Vista SP2 machine, the last time that Windows Update successfully installed updates on your machine, and whether you have Microsoft Office installed would also be helpful.

    It's important that you start at STEP # 1 of the instructions and terminate any Windows Update sessions currently running in the background on your system [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended) and then re-boot - the re-boot is critical] or the .msu installers will get stuck on "Checking for updates...". You only have to run the .msu installers for speed up patches that are currently missing from your system, and be sure to use the download links in Note 2 of the instructions to download fresh copies onto your desktop. If STEP # 3 of the instructions shows that KB3191203 is currently missing from your system but the .msu installer still throws a "The update is not applicable to your computer" error when you run the compatible 32-bit or 64-bit installer then just move on to the next .msu installer - that "not applicable" error should not appear if you install your missing speed up patches in order (i.e., from lowest to highest KB number).
    -----------
    32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1 * NS v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    01 May 2017 #572
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 4
    Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
    Local Time: 20:20


     

    Re: windows update just seems to hang while checking.


    Quote Originally Posted by lmacri View Post
    Hi StormNinjaG:

    An error 0x80070057 that occurs during a Windows Update means ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER- see the support article KB947821 Fix Windows Update Errors by Using the DISM or System Update Readiness Tool. I know of users who saw this error while running a Windows Update after they stopped or disabled their Windows Update service (wuauserv) or tried to run Windows Update after damaging or corrupting a Windows Update component, but this is the first time I've heard of someone seeing this error while installing a standalone .msu installer. These .msu installers are associated with the Windows Update Standalone Installer (C:\Windows\System32\wusa.exe) and can be installed on computers when the Windows Update service is stopped and/or the computer is disconnected from the internet so I'm not sure why a .msu installer would throw an error 0x80070057. Fortunately, there are still links in that support article to 32-bit and 64-bit Vista SP2 versions of Microsoft's System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) and if you continue to see this error that tool might be able to fix the problem.

    For now, try running through all six steps of instructions on page # 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours. If you encounter a problem and the notes at the bottom of the instructions don't help then post back and let me know what happened. Knowing some background information like whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit Vista SP2 machine, the last time that Windows Update successfully installed updates on your machine, and whether you have Microsoft Office installed would also be helpful.
    -----------
    For background information I have a 64 bit sp2 vista machine. The standalone msu worked for all the patches except for the ones I said, but IIRC there were some errors downloading security patches since 2015 or so, I can't tell you everything exactly the way it was since I tried running a version of the Fixit tool to fix the problem which not only didn't work but also deleted the update history. I have Microsoft Office 2007. I have all of the patches listed were installed except for KB3191203 and KB4012583 which give back the error 80070057, I don't think I downloaded them in the exact order that was listed though. I'll try running the troubleshooter first and get back to you on that.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    01 May 2017 #573
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 176
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
    Local Time: 21:20
    canada

     

    Re: windows update just seems to hang while checking.


    Quote Originally Posted by StormNinjaG View Post
    For background information I have a 64 bit sp2 vista machine. The standalone msu worked for all the patches except for the ones I said, but IIRC there were some errors downloading security patches since 2015 or so, I can't tell you everything exactly the way it was since I tried running a version of the Fixit tool to fix the problem which not only didn't work but also deleted the update history. I have Microsoft Office 2007. I have all of the patches listed were installed except for KB3191203 and KB4012583 which give back the error 80070057, I don't think I downloaded them in the exact order that was listed though. I'll try running the troubleshooter first and get back to you on that.
    Hi StormNinjaG:

    Resetting your Windows Update components with the old MS FixIT tool will clear your Windows Update history (Windows Update | View update history) but should not affect your list of installed updates (Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates). When you complete STEP # 3 of the instructions in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours that should tell you if KB4012583 (along with the other speed up patches recommended in STEP # 2) were successfully installed on your system. There is no need to download and run .msu installers for those speed up patches if they are already installed.

    Don't worry about KB3191203. As Volume Z noted, this KB has been superseded by a combination of newer updates and will give you a "the update is not applicable to your computer" error once you start installing the speed up patches out of order.

    Volume Z maintains download links for additional speed up patches for MS Office-related products in peggybeggs' thread why has vista stopped automatic updates? that could help speed up Windows Update as well. Search your installed updates to see if KB3178683 (MS Word 2007) and KB3191827 (MS Excel 2007) are missing and need to be pre-installed. If you have the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 installed then pre-installing KB3178682 and KB3191830 could also help speed up Windows Update.

    One other option you should consider is Torsten Wittrock's WSUS Offline Update tool - see Note 6 of the instructions in m#l's thread. This might be a good solution for you since this tool should still be able to install your missing Vista SP2, IE9 and MS Office 2007 updates even if you have a corrupted Windows Update component.
    -----------
    32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1 * NS v22.9.1.12 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    01 May 2017 #574
    Join Date : Apr 2017
    Posts : 4
    Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
    Local Time: 20:20


     

    Re: windows update just seems to hang while checking.


    Quote Originally Posted by lmacri View Post
    Hi StormNinjaG:

    Resetting your Windows Update components with the old MS FixIT tool will clear your Windows Update history (Windows Update | View update history) but should not affect your list of installed updates (Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates). When you complete STEP # 3 of the instructions in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours that should tell you if KB4012583 (along with the other speed up patches recommended in STEP # 2) were successfully installed on your system. There is no need to download and run .msu installers for those speed up patches if they are already installed.

    Don't worry about KB3191203. As Volume Z noted, this KB has been superseded by a combination of newer updates and will give you a "the update is not applicable to your computer" error once you start installing the speed up patches out of order.

    Volume Z maintains download links for additional speed up patches for MS Office-related products in peggybeggs' thread why has vista stopped automatic updates? that could help speed up Windows Update as well. Search your installed updates to see if KB3178683 (MS Word 2007) and KB3191827 (MS Excel 2007) are missing and need to be pre-installed. If you have the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 installed then pre-installing KB3178682 and KB3191830 could also help speed up Windows Update.

    One other option you should consider is Torsten Wittrock's WSUS Offline Update tool - see Note 6 of the instructions in m#l's thread. This might be a good solution for you since this tool should still be able to install your missing Vista SP2, IE9 and MS Office 2007 updates even if you have a corrupted Windows Update component.
    -----------
    So I checked and the updates I currently have installed are:

    KB4015195

    KB3205638

    KB4015380

    KB4014661

    Running the System Update Readiness Tool, gives me no errors( I checked the log and there are no errors either), then I rebooted and tried to install KB4012583 and it says that the installation fails with the error being 80070057. I'll try downloading the rest of the updates for windows office (from Volume Z's list) tommorrow as well as try checking for windows updates overnight to see if I can update and then I'll update this post.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    09 May 2017 #575
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 176
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
    Local Time: 21:20
    canada

     

    Re: windows update just seems to hang while checking.


    My Vista SP2 machine was fully patched as of 11-Apr-2017, and it appears that my MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 is still causing problems with "Checking for updates..." in May 2017. As an initial test, I ran a manual Windows Update today to see if my MS Office-related updates would install without pre-installing any speed up patches, and no luck - "Checking for updates..." ran for 3 hours before I decided to abort.

    I re-booted, pre-installed this month's KB3191835 security update for the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 (released 09-May-2017) using the .exe installer <here> from the Microsoft Download Center (i.e., not the .cab file from the Microsoft Update Catalog) and re-ran Windows Update. "Checking for updates..." finished in about 3 minutes and found two additional MS Office updates that were released today - KB2596904 and KB3191895. This entire Windows Update session, including download and installation, completed in under 10 min.

    windows update just seems to hang while checking.-windows-update-history-09-may-2017-png

    I was hoping this wouldn't be necessary now that extended support for Vista SP2 has ended, but I'm guessing that other users with MS Office-related products will have to continue to pre-install the applicable MS Office speed up patches listed in Volume Z's post on page 1 of peggybegg's thread why has vista stopped automatic updates? in order to speed up delivery of their MS Office security patches on Patch Tuesdays.
    -----------
    32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.1 * NS Premium v22.9.1.12 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    10 May 2017 #576
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 176
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
    Local Time: 21:20
    canada

     

    Re: windows update just seems to hang while checking.


    Quote Originally Posted by lmacri View Post
    ...I re-booted, pre-installed this month's KB3191835 security update for the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 (released 09-May-2017)... "Checking for updates..." finished in about 3 minutes and found two additional MS Office updates...
    I forgot to add that if you use Windows Defender, the latest definition update [currently Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.243.3.0)] should patch your scan engine to v1.1.13704.0 and protect you from the critical security vulnerability CVE-2017-0290 discussed in the Woody on Windows article Here's how to check if your PC got Microsoft's fix for Windows Defender bug.

    My Norton Security automatically disables Windows Defender at boot-up, but I manually launched Windows Defender this morning and ran another Windows Update and it quickly installed the KB915597 patch for the scan engine. Here's what Help | About Windows Defender now shows on my Vista SP2 machine:

    windows update just seems to hang while checking.-windows-defender-engine-patched-cve-2017-0290-10-may-2017-png
    -----------
    32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.1 * NS Premium v22.9.1.12 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    10 May 2017 #577
    Join Date : Sep 2011
    US of A
    Posts : 2,216
    Windows 7 pro 64-bit
    Local Time: 21:20
    usa

     

    Re: windows update just seems to hang while checking.


    I've wondered for months if the update slowness was related to office. I never had any problems finding updates on 2008 which doesn't have office installed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    26 May 2017 #578
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 176
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
    Local Time: 21:20
    canada

     

    Re: windows update just seems to hang while checking.


    Quote Originally Posted by lmacri View Post
    My Vista SP2 machine was fully patched as of 11-Apr-2017, and it appears that my MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 is still causing problems with "Checking for updates..." in May 2017....

    Just an FYI for users with a clean reinstall of Vista SP2 (i.e., no IE9 or MS Office) that I've revised Note 2 of my instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours to include a comment about a .cmd batch file posted on Dalai's website at http://wu.krelay.de/en/ that can be used to automatically install the latest Vista SP2 speed up patches KB3205638, KB4012583, KB4015195 and KB4015380.

    Going forward, it appears that Vista SP2 who were fully patched as of April 2017 are going to continue to have problems with Windows Updates on Patch Tuesdays if they have MS Office 2010, MS Office 2007 and/or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 installed. I've outlined two options in post # 419 of KellyB56's thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates" (manual installation of speed up patches vs an automated tool like WSUS Offline Update) for keeping Office-related products patched.
    -----------
    32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.2 * NS Premium v22.9.3.13 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    01 Jun 2017 #579
    Join Date : May 2009
    Posts : 23
    Vista
    Local Time: 21:20


     

    Re: windows update just seems to hang while checking.


    Hello all,

    Been busy as of late, and finally got around to checking for Windows Updates.
    Checked Windows Update manually, waited for several hours and had no luck with finding updates.
    Checked Windows Update History and it appears the last update was in January of 2017.

    Was wondering, what would be the most efficient way to catch up with Windows Updates for a Vista64 bit OS?
    (February?, March?, April?)

    Any suggestions are appreciated.

    Here is a screen for the latest Windows Update History
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails windows update just seems to hang while checking.-windowsupdate-jpg  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    01 Jun 2017 #580
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 176
    Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
    Local Time: 21:20
    canada

     

    Re: windows update just seems to hang while checking.


    Quote Originally Posted by beginner64 View Post
    ..Checked Windows Update manually, waited for several hours and had no luck with finding updates. Checked Windows Update History and it appears the last update was in January of 2017.
    Hi beginner64:

    Your screenshot shows that your last few updates installed in January 2017 were actually released in December 2016 (e.g., KB3203621: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9: December 13, 2016) so it looks like you're missing your January 2017 updates as well.

    Try the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours for a possible workaround. Your screenshot shows that the first speed up patch listed in STEP # 2 (KB3205638) was installed on your computer on 23-Dec-2016 but you will likely find that the remaining KB4012583, KB4015195, KB4015380 and KB4014661 speed up patches are still missing and must be pre-installed to speed up Window Update.

    Your screenshot doesn't show any recent updates for MS Office 2010, MS Office 2007 or the MS Office Compatibility Pack SP3 but see Note 6 of those instructions if any of these Office-related products are installed since they can also cause these "Checking for updates..." hangs.

    Note 6 also mentions a tool called WSUS Offline Update that can be used to install missing security updates for Vista SP2 and other MS products like MS Office. Using this tool is a two-step process - first run UpdateGenerator.exe, select what updates you'd like to install from the interface (options for Vista SP2 are located on the Legacy Products tab) and download the installers; then run UpdateInstaller.exe (located in the Client folder) to finish the installation.
    ------------
    32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.1.2 * NS Premium v22.9.3.13 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3
    Last edited by lmacri; 01 Jun 2017 at 07:50.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
windows update just seems to hang while checking.

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows update not checking for updates
Hi, I am attempting to update a new install of Windows Vista that is currently at SP1. Initially, attempts to run the update failed with error code...
Windows Updates
Windows Update stopped checking for patches
My Control Panel / Windows Update panel says that the last time WU checked for updates was 10/03/2010. HOWEVER, it also says that updates were...
Windows Updates
Checking checkbox in the application causes application to hang
Hello All, I have a dialog application which contain checkbox on it.When i check this checkbox application hangs up with this error message below...
General Discussion
Vista hang- and hang and hang
Hi all A mate presented me with his Vista laptop, running home premium. It was stuck in the installing stage 3 of 3 loop. Under no...
General Discussion
Vista Windows Update - Checking forever
Windows Vista Business Edition 32-bit. Checking for Windows update never ends. Windows Update was enabled, and the system was manually updated...
Vista performance & maintenance
Windows Mail hang up after my Windows COntact Reached UP 2000
IS there any maximum or recommended size for windows contact or windows Mail ? My Customer using Windows Mail perfectly all the while, and the...
Vista mail
Update Hang
Trying to update from Beta2 to RC1, using the 32-bit DVD supplied by MS. The update appears to proceed normally, until it gets to the Completing...
Vista General

Our Sites
  • Ten Forums
  • Eight Forums
  • Seven Forums
  • Help Me Bake
  • Site Links
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy and Cookies
  • About Us
    Windows Vista Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:20.
    .