I've took it upon myself to hopefully get this isssue resolved.
Pls I require your technical assistance.
Scenario: User is working from home connected via VPN, he is unable to gain a connection to his msx svr.
Error: Cannot open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to Microsoft Exchange with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file.
I'm able to resolve his name via profile settings indicating authentication with msx svr has been granted.
Default gateway is present, msx svr can be seen by client through ping cmd
Found article under Error messages when you try to connect Outlook 2007 to Exchange Server: "The action cannot be completed" or "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable" or "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook"
1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following subkey:
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type DefConnectOpts, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click DefConnectOpts, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7. Exit Registry Editor.
This worked for the first time, then the next day the problem returned.
I expect after further deployment of Vista a lot more home-workers will experience this problem.
Your help will be most appreciated.
Paul -Vista pilot support analyst