Windows Vista Forums

Programs vs. Programs X86

  1. #1



    Newbie
    Join Date : Mar 2010
    Posts : 3
    Vista Home Premium X64
    Local Time: 03:53 PM

    Programs vs. Programs X86

    In Vista, when I need to add software manually, I'm unsure whether to place it in Programs, or Programs X86. A local retailer tells me that Windows 7 doesn't have the programs divided into these two sections, and doesn't know what 'X86' means. I've looked through the contents of both and can't discern a pattern that offers any clues. What's this about? Thanks.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2
    Chase's Avatar

    americano


    Join Date : Aug 2009
    Merced & Monterey, CA
    Posts : 1,571
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Local Time: 11:53 AM
    usa us california

     

    Re: Programs vs. Programs X86

    My computer has the "Programs" and "Programs X86" folders. My computer is also a 64bit version of Vista, I would presume that is the case for you. All of my program files are located in the "Programs X86" folder.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3
    mansrm81's Avatar

    Senior Member


    Join Date : Aug 2008
    Rockford, IL
    Posts : 1,884
    Vista Ultimate 64bit SP2
    Local Time: 02:53 PM
    usa us illinois

     

    Re: Programs vs. Programs X86

    32 bit programs go into the x86 folder and 64 bit programs go into the programs folder.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4



    Newbie
    Join Date : Mar 2010
    Posts : 3
    Vista Home Premium X64
    Local Time: 03:53 PM


      Thread Starter

    Re: Programs vs. Programs X86

    Americano! I'm so jazzed about your Avatar! best one I've ever seem. Gotta get one for myself (different purpose, yeah) that'll run on FFox.
    Response to both you, and to mansrm81: Thanks for the clarification, and yes, I'm 64bit. I imagine that most (??) software designers for Windows know how to configure the install code so that it will seek & find it's way to the correct of the 2 sections...I have plenty that show up in both. But now & then I dwnld. something that I have to put there myself, the way it behaves-- w/ no instructions and no automation. --Shakur100

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5
    whs's Avatar
    whs

    Senior Member




    Join Date : May 2008
    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 1,986
    Vista home premium 32bit
    Local Time: 09:53 PM
    germany us florida

     

    Re: Programs vs. Programs X86

    A local retailer tells me that Windows 7 doesn't have the programs divided into these two sections, and doesn't know what 'X86' means
    If I were you, I would switch retailers. You don't want to be stuck with one that does not know Computer 101.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6
    ripbox's Avatar

    Nerd
    Join Date : Mar 2007
    Posts : 591
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Local Time: 01:53 PM
    uk

     

    Re: Programs vs. Programs X86

    Yes it is true that if you must install anything manually then it will most likely belong to the x86 folder..... anything 64bit should automatically install by default to "programs" without the x86 as the instaler should be indexed to install to that location for system references and indexing

    you may install any program to any director without cause for alarm or risk killing your system, it is just more logical to index installs to pre given directories for better house keeping and performance

    On my personal system i have 4 directories
    2 preset (programs & programsx86) for every day essentials e.g antivirus ect
    2 custom built directories (D://Installed programs\software | D://Installed programs\ Games) software is for bloatware and untrusted installs and Games is for Game installs

    so yes you can install you programs to the 64bit preset programs directory but it has no beneficial factor

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7
    Chase's Avatar

    americano


    Join Date : Aug 2009
    Merced & Monterey, CA
    Posts : 1,571
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Local Time: 11:53 AM
    usa us california

     

    Re: Programs vs. Programs X86

    Quote Originally Posted by shakur100 View Post
    Americano! I'm so jazzed about your Avatar! best one I've ever seem. Gotta get one for myself (different purpose, yeah) that'll run on FFox.
    Thanks. I love the stick figure animations!

    Quote Originally Posted by ripbox View Post
    Yes it is true that if you must install anything manually then it will most likely belong to the x86 folder..... anything 64bit should automatically install by default to "programs" without the x86 as the instaler should be indexed to install to that location for system references and indexing

    you may install any program to any director without cause for alarm or risk killing your system, it is just more logical to index installs to pre given directories for better house keeping and performance

    On my personal system i have 4 directories
    2 preset (programs & programsx86) for every day essentials e.g antivirus ect
    2 custom built directories (D://Installed programs\software | D://Installed programs\ Games) software is for bloatware and untrusted installs and Games is for Game installs

    so yes you can install you programs to the 64bit preset programs directory but it has no beneficial factor
    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to make two custom directories? Would that prevent possible nasty programs/files from corrupting others in the directory?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8
    ripbox's Avatar

    Nerd
    Join Date : Mar 2007
    Posts : 591
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Local Time: 01:53 PM
    uk

     

    Re: Programs vs. Programs X86

    Quote Originally Posted by Americano View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to make two custom directories? Would that prevent possible nasty programs/files from corrupting others in the directory?
    Nope not at all, though it can help in some cases, it just helps trace,track and troubleshoot problems
    at least in my case anyway....


    If a program has a set directory then it will in most cases also install parts to another directory without your knowledge.... by placing an untrusted install in a custom directory i can monitor its behaviors by locating part files in unspecified locations
    so even if you install on disc D:// it may very well place parts on C:// regardless of your specified location

    An install that requires by default a manual input directory will tend to only install to that set location..... anything by this means will be1 of 2.... 1 very old / 2 badly programed and thus rising suspicions to its safety
    Id just say in this case it would be safer to place in an user defined location to be able to monitor the programs behavior

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9
    Chase's Avatar

    americano


    Join Date : Aug 2009
    Merced & Monterey, CA
    Posts : 1,571
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Local Time: 11:53 AM
    usa us california

     

    Re: Programs vs. Programs X86

    Quote Originally Posted by ripbox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Americano View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to make two custom directories? Would that prevent possible nasty programs/files from corrupting others in the directory?
    Nope not at all, though it can help in some cases, it just helps trace,track and troubleshoot problems
    at least in my case anyway....


    If a program has a set directory then it will in most cases also install parts to another directory without your knowledge.... by placing an untrusted install in a custom directory i can monitor its behaviors by locating part files in unspecified locations
    so even if you install on disc D:// it may very well place parts on C:// regardless of your specified location

    An install that requires by default a manual input directory will tend to only install to that set location..... anything by this means will be1 of 2.... 1 very old / 2 badly programed and thus rising suspicions to its safety
    Id just say in this case it would be safer to place in an user defined location to be able to monitor the programs behavior
    I see, well thanks for the info.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec


Programs vs. Programs X86
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Start Menu All Programs List - how to not show recent programs General Discussion
Help! Vista Premium x64 suddenly not loading programs on startup and no programs run! General Discussion
Uninstalling Programs not in Windows Features or Programs & Featur Vista General
Adding new programs to Default Programs list Vista General
uninstalling programs that are not listed in programs and features Vista General