First thanks for all the responses.
My first quote for this project is that there should be a law:
Some people should NOT be allowed to own a computer.
When I try to elimate all but the last restore point this is what I should see:
This is what I actually see:
I have used Ccleaner for other purposes and I know it is a very good utility. In this case I had to use it to delete the restore points that were not needed. I had not known Ccleaner could do that so thanks for the heads-up.
I have checked and rechecked the boot order and it is just as I said in my original post. CD-Rom, floppy (does not a floppy) and then Network. There is no option available for Hard Drive.
I am not accomplished enough to flash the bios to upgrade, so I leave that to the experts.
I really believe all the problems were caused by Nortons Internet Securties which came with the original software. I uninstalled Nortons and installed WSE and most of the problems were solved.
He has picked up his laptop and is happy with results, so I guess I am happy also.
Thanks again guys for all the help. I learned something new by taking on this project.