Windows Vista Forums

which 9800 is better???

  1. #1
    fieseler's Avatar

    Senior Member
    Join Date : Feb 2008
    Leicester
    Posts : 543
    Vista Ultimate SP2 x64
    Local Time: 12:13 PM
    uk uk england

    which 9800 is better???

    Currently i can get a 9800 real cheap atm, but i dont know whih would be the better card out of the to below. Right now i have an 8800gts 512 that handles my most of my games ok, crysis can get real laggy on the 'high' settings tho.

    One has 1024mb ram, the other has 28mhz more on the gpu clock, 246mhz on top of the ram clock & 71.8gb/s.

    EVGA | Products 9 Series Family

    EVGA | Products 9 Series Family

    the 1024mb version is about $20 more expensive, so i would assume that one would be better.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2
    amplid's Avatar

    Vlaming
    Join Date : Mar 2008
    Grimbergen, Belgium
    Posts : 624
    Vista Ultimate x64
    Local Time: 01:13 PM
    belgium

     

    Re: which 9800 is better???

    Hey fieseler,

    I'd go for the 1Gb one,

    28MHz isn't all that much and if you want, you can OC it with the EVGA Precision app to the level of the 512Mb one, You can't get the memory from 512MB to 1024Mb tho, right..

    I just got an XFX 9800GTX+ 512Mb for Christmas and I must say I'm luuuvin' it!

    Happy New Year

    Amplid

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3
    NormCameron's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date : Aug 2008
    Gladstone
    Posts : 1,082
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit Beta, Vista Ultimate x86
    Local Time: 10:13 PM
    australia au queensland

     

    Re: which 9800 is better???

    Quote Originally Posted by fieseler View Post
    Currently i can get a 9800 real cheap atm, but i dont know whih would be the better card out of the to below. Right now i have an 8800gts 512 that handles my most of my games ok, crysis can get real laggy on the 'high' settings tho.

    One has 1024mb ram, the other has 28mhz more on the gpu clock, 246mhz on top of the ram clock & 71.8gb/s.

    EVGA | Products 9 Series Family

    EVGA | Products 9 Series Family

    the 1024mb version is about $20 more expensive, so i would assume that one would be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by amplid View Post
    Hey fieseler,

    I'd go for the 1Gb one,

    28MHz isn't all that much and if you want, you can OC it with the EVGA Precision app to the level of the 512Mb one, You can't get the memory from 512MB to 1024Mb tho, right..

    I just got an XFX 9800GTX+ 512Mb for Christmas and I must say I'm luuuvin' it!

    Happy New Year

    Amplid
    The Evga is a great card and as Amplid says the EVGA Precision app is very good, I use it with my Zotac card.

    Norm

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4
    smarteyeball's Avatar

    Eye know, eye know


    Join Date : Oct 2007
    Australia
    Posts : 1,874
    7 Ultimate x64 : Vista x86 VM :W8 RP x64
    Local Time: 10:13 PM
    australia au queensland

     

    Re: which 9800 is better???

    +1 for the 1GB

    Good for running with higher textures. Less HD accessing as the textures are stored in the video ram.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5
    fieseler's Avatar

    Senior Member
    Join Date : Feb 2008
    Leicester
    Posts : 543
    Vista Ultimate SP2 x64
    Local Time: 12:13 PM
    uk uk england

      Thread Starter

    Re: which 9800 is better???

    let me see if i got this right

    higher Core clock = better geomatry rendering, higher ram clock = better filtering ie antialiasing

    more ram = less accessing of the hdd for texture maps.

    If i look at it this way, a 9800gtx 512 is much faster than a 9800gt 1gb, so i would have thought the higher clocked one would be better. Its so confusing when you dont have a direct comparison or more info from a review.

    argh i hate it when u have to choose between stuff like this

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6
    96accord's Avatar

    Senior Member
    Join Date : Dec 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts : 306
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Local Time: 08:13 AM
    usa us maryland

     

    Re: which 9800 is better???

    I am looking for a new video card. Seems like the 9800 series is a good buy for the price

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7
    NormCameron's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date : Aug 2008
    Gladstone
    Posts : 1,082
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit Beta, Vista Ultimate x86
    Local Time: 10:13 PM
    australia au queensland

     

    Re: which 9800 is better???

    Quote Originally Posted by fieseler View Post
    let me see if i got this right

    higher Core clock = better geomatry rendering, higher ram clock = better filtering ie antialiasing

    more ram = less accessing of the hdd for texture maps.

    If i look at it this way, a 9800gtx 512 is much faster than a 9800gt 1gb, so i would have thought the higher clocked one would be better. Its so confusing when you dont have a direct comparison or more info from a review.

    argh i hate it when u have to choose between stuff like this

    Hi fieseler
    You might be interested in the following article : -

    How much graphics memory do you really need? - The Tech Report - Page 5

    An extract :- "Doubling the onboard memory to 1GB may make for interesting marketing, but it doesn't improve performance a lick with the games and resolutions we tested. What's more, a single 8800 GT runs out of steam at 1920x1440—if not at lower resolutions—indicating that higher resolutions that might benefit from additional video memory wouldn't yield playable frame rates with single-card configs. The benefits of 1GB of video memory are also a bust for GeForce 8800 GT SLI configurations, at least at resolutions up to 1920x1440. However, we've seen the 8800 GT 512MB in SLI deliver playable frame rates at 2650x1600 in Quake Wars and Episode 2, so a 1GB SLI config may yield performance benefits there. We've also observed the performance of a 512MB SLI config tank spectacularly in Call of Duty 4 when moving to 2560x1600, suggesting that additional video memory could be of help there, as well.
    As for the 256MB variant of the GeForce 8800 GT, well, there's little hope. The 256MB card fared well enough in Quake Wars, but it couldn't keep up at even 1280x1024 in CoD 4 and started to drop off at 1600x1200 in Episode 2. And Crysis? Forget about it.
    Given the relatively minor price gap between 256MB and 512MB versions of the GeForce 8800 GT, we see little reason to settle for the 256MB card. You really do need 512MB of memory to make the most of today's games, especially if you want to crank up the eye candy. That said, today's games aren't so demanding that they'll make good use of 1GB of video memory, at least not with the GeForce 8800 GT. Not even Crysis saw a meaningful performance increase with the 1GB cards, suggesting that tomorrow's games may do just fine with 512MB, as well."

    I think the conclusion was that although it doesn't do much the additional memory couldn't hurt and it was cheap enough anyway.
    Norm

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8
    smarteyeball's Avatar

    Eye know, eye know


    Join Date : Oct 2007
    Australia
    Posts : 1,874
    7 Ultimate x64 : Vista x86 VM :W8 RP x64
    Local Time: 10:13 PM
    australia au queensland

     

    Re: which 9800 is better???

    Higher clock speeds over memory size anyday. Same clock speed (between card choice) plus a little extra cost for double the VRAM even better

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9
    ripbox's Avatar

    Nerd
    Join Date : Mar 2007
    Posts : 591
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    Local Time: 06:13 AM
    uk

     

    Re: which 9800 is better???

    why not go for the 9800GX2... that way its like having SLI but with only 1 card

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10
    Everlong's Avatar

    To xor or not to xor


    Join Date : Jul 2008
    Lancaster University, England.
    Posts : 1,317
    Windows 7 Professional X64
    Local Time: 01:13 PM
    england

     

    Re: which 9800 is better???

    Quote Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
    +1 for the 1GB

    Good for running with higher textures. Less HD accessing as the textures are stored in the video ram.
    The WDDM in Vista lessens the HD access anyway, as it stores a lot of stuff in the system RAM ready for the VRAM, which speeds up games a lot.

    An example of this would be comparing a game with AA in XP to Vista. Say you ramp up 4xAA in options, for every 10fps you lost in XP, you'd only lose 1fps in Vista. (In Direct X 9).

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

which 9800 is better???
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
9800 GTX+ or GTS 250? Graphic cards
HP 9800 Vista print fax & scan
Radeon 9800 Pro Vista General
AIW 9800 Pro... Vista music pictures video
AIW 9800 Pro... Vista music pictures video