Windows Vista Forums

What is IP 239.255.255.250

  1. #1
    l)ark_Scorpion's Avatar

    Real SN AT99Scorpion
    Join Date : Mar 2010
    The Great Lakes
    Posts : 211
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Local Time: 07:01 AM
    usa us michigan

    What is IP 239.255.255.250

    My firewall says it's a blocked connection that it does not allow, what is this IP?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2
    MilesAhead's Avatar

    Eclectician



    Join Date : Jan 2008
    Posts : 2,310
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP1
    Local Time: 07:01 AM
    usa

     

    Re: What is IP 239.255.255.250

    nslookup shows nothing for it. It must be a local IP inside your Lan.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3
    l)ark_Scorpion's Avatar

    Real SN AT99Scorpion
    Join Date : Mar 2010
    The Great Lakes
    Posts : 211
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Local Time: 07:01 AM
    usa us michigan

      Thread Starter

    Re: What is IP 239.255.255.250

    I guess this is the location? WTF?

    239.255.255.250

    Spyware?

    Move the map at the bottom of the page to the right... There's Africa.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4
    MilesAhead's Avatar

    Eclectician



    Join Date : Jan 2008
    Posts : 2,310
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP1
    Local Time: 07:01 AM
    usa

     

    Re: What is IP 239.255.255.250

    So you're saying an incoming connection was blocked and it was this address? Since nslookup gives nothing for it, I'd guess the return address is spoofed.

    edit: this post may shed some light. Some jazz to do with plug & play configuration or whatever.

    http://help.lockergnome.com/general/...pict18953.html

    Last edited by MilesAhead; 22 Mar 2010 at 11:59 PM.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5



    Member
    Join Date : May 2009
    Illinois
    Posts : 92
    Vista Home Premium x64
    Local Time: 07:01 AM
    india us illinois

     

    Re: What is IP 239.255.255.250

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow(ConFed) View Post
    I guess this is the location? WTF?

    239.255.255.250

    Spyware?

    Move the map at the bottom of the page to the right... There's Africa.
    Someone might be hiding under that proxy - which is in Africa
    He/she is probably using the "Proxy Server" setup common in most broswers...

    ie: In Opera 10.5 latest beta go to settings -> advanced settings -> network -> Proxy Server.
    In their you can type in some ip and its port number(must be and actual one) - and you will connect to the internet through there.
    Its useful if you're doing some illegal stuff(lol), but it really hurts browsing speed - it REALLY hurts it !
    http://www.whatsmyip.org/iplocation/ <-- Look up your IP's their/stuff's

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6
    MilesAhead's Avatar

    Eclectician



    Join Date : Jan 2008
    Posts : 2,310
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP1
    Local Time: 07:01 AM
    usa

     

    Re: What is IP 239.255.255.250

    How would it work if it shows no dns address?
    nslookup gives "cannot find yadda yadda.. non-existent domain"

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7
    l)ark_Scorpion's Avatar

    Real SN AT99Scorpion
    Join Date : Mar 2010
    The Great Lakes
    Posts : 211
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Local Time: 07:01 AM
    usa us michigan

      Thread Starter

    Re: What is IP 239.255.255.250

    My firewall says its an Out bound connection.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8



    Junior Member
    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Philly, PA suburbs
    Posts : 15
    Vista Home Premium 32bit
    Local Time: 08:01 AM
    usa us pennsylvania

     

    Re: What is IP 239.255.255.250

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow(ConFed) View Post
    My firewall says it's a blocked connection that it does not allow, what is this IP?
    That address range is a special use multi-cast address.

    Wikipedia has this: Multicast address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    "Administratively scoped addresses

    The 239.0.0.0/8 range is assigned by RFC 2365 as a locally administered address space with local or organizational scope."

    More here in the RFC: RFC 2365 - Administratively Scoped IP Multicast

    Al

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9
    l)ark_Scorpion's Avatar

    Real SN AT99Scorpion
    Join Date : Mar 2010
    The Great Lakes
    Posts : 211
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Local Time: 07:01 AM
    usa us michigan

      Thread Starter

    Re: What is IP 239.255.255.250

    Quote Originally Posted by gemhunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow(ConFed) View Post
    My firewall says it's a blocked connection that it does not allow, what is this IP?
    That address range is a special use multi-cast address.

    Wikipedia has this: Multicast address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    "Administratively scoped addresses

    The 239.0.0.0/8 range is assigned by RFC 2365 as a locally administered address space with local or organizational scope."

    More here in the RFC: RFC 2365 - Administratively Scoped IP Multicast

    Al
    What is multicast?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10



    Junior Member
    Join Date : Apr 2009
    Philly, PA suburbs
    Posts : 15
    Vista Home Premium 32bit
    Local Time: 08:01 AM
    usa us pennsylvania

     

    Re: What is IP 239.255.255.250

    Quote Originally Posted by Snow(ConFed) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gemhunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow(ConFed) View Post
    My firewall says it's a blocked connection that it does not allow, what is this IP?
    That address range is a special use multi-cast address.

    Wikipedia has this: Multicast address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    "Administratively scoped addresses

    The 239.0.0.0/8 range is assigned by RFC 2365 as a locally administered address space with local or organizational scope."

    More here in the RFC: RFC 2365 - Administratively Scoped IP Multicast

    Al
    What is multicast?
    Multicasting is a way for one sender to send data to a group of recipients. Streaming video and music can use this. Once again, Wikipedia has more to say:

    IP multicast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    It may be that one of the media players installed on you PC is acting as streaming video or music host, and is multicasting that into your local network.

    Al

      My System SpecsSystem Spec


What is IP 239.255.255.250