This could be caused by the Windows Installer, follow these instructions by The CAT.
1. Go to a Windows Vista (Any Version) computer that has the Windows
Installer service running correctly and run regedit(Start-Run-Regedit)
2. Go to the location
3. Right click on this key and select "Export" and save the key to a Flash
Drive or other.
4. Run sfc /scannow on the damaged Vista computer - you won't need the
install disk as it goes to backup files on your HD. Do not reboot when
5. Double click saved .reg file from working machine and import registry
settings into damaged Vista computer.
6. Now reboot and try to install/uninstall
Also, please make sure that there are no remnants of a previous install/un-install, i would run a search for any Adobe software and check it.
Just as a precaution, i would run this system file check. System Files - SFC Command
Hope some of this helps, good luck and post your results.