I have MS Office 2003 & Vista Home Premium. A few weeks ago, Word suddenly became extremely sluggish: it would take more than 10 full seconds to open or close (very aggravating!)
I hunted online for a solution & found several suggestions, ranging from checking for viruses to editing the Registry: I tried them all, with no improvement.
I recall having seen other questions about the same problem, so I thought I’d share what finally worked for me.
I renamed global template: from normal.dot to OldNormal.dot
C > Users > user’s name > App Data > Roaming > Microsoft > Templates
The global template had somehow gotten corrupted. By renaming it, Word had to automatically create a new (clean) global template the next time the program opened. The fix was instantaneous: Word opened properly as soon as I made the change.
The old (corrupt) global template was relatively large: over 2,900kb.
The new (clean) global template is only 35kb.
Once Word had created new (clean) global template & I saw that it worked well, I deleted the old (corrupt) one I had renamed.
Hope this can help someone!!