Windows Vista Forums

Notification Area - System Icons

  1. #91
    Brink's Avatar

    Administrator


    Join Date : Apr 2007
    Texas, USA
    Posts : 31,212
    64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise (RTM)
    Local Time: 12:20 PM
    usa us texas

      Thread Starter

    Notification Area - System Icons

    How to Enable or Disable the Notification Area System Icons in Vista




    Last edited by Brink; 22 Apr 2009 at 05:22 AM.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #90
    MrElectrifyer's Avatar

    Electrical Engineer
    Join Date : Jan 2009
    Canada
    Posts : 37
    Vista x64 Ultimate SP2, Se7en x64 Ultimate (Dual Boot)
    Local Time: 11:20 AM
    nigeria

     

    Re: Notification Area - System Icons

    Hi Brink

    Is it possible to disable individual non-system icons in the notification area?

    I want to disable a program called "Driver Genius", which just takes up space on my task-bar, nothing beneficent. It doesn't appear to have an option to disable it built inside the application itself, so I thought your would know a registry hack.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #91
    derekimo's Avatar

    Senior Member



    Join Date : Jul 2009
    East Bay Area, CA
    Posts : 749
    Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
    Local Time: 10:20 AM
    usa us california

     

    Re: Notification Area - System Icons

    Quote Originally Posted by MrElectrifyer View Post
    Hi Brink

    Is it possible to disable individual non-system icons in the notification area?

    I want to disable a program called "Driver Genius", which just takes up space on my task-bar, nothing beneficent. It doesn't appear to have an option to disable it built inside the application itself, so I thought your would know a registry hack.
    You could try removing it from startup programs,

    Option two of this tutorial,

    Startup Programs - Enable or Disable

    Method two, using msconfig is probably easier and more effective.

    As a side note, I always find getting my drivers from the manufacturers website is more effective and reliable than letting a program tell me what drivers I need.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.   


  6. #92
    MrElectrifyer's Avatar

    Electrical Engineer
    Join Date : Jan 2009
    Canada
    Posts : 37
    Vista x64 Ultimate SP2, Se7en x64 Ultimate (Dual Boot)
    Local Time: 11:20 AM
    nigeria

     

    Re: Notification Area - System Icons

    Quote Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrElectrifyer View Post
    Hi Brink

    Is it possible to disable individual non-system icons in the notification area?

    I want to disable a program called "Driver Genius", which just takes up space on my task-bar, nothing beneficent. It doesn't appear to have an option to disable it built inside the application itself, so I thought your would know a registry hack.
    You could try removing it from startup programs,

    Option two of this tutorial,

    Startup Programs - Enable or Disable

    Method two, using msconfig is probably easier and more effective.

    As a side note, I always find getting my drivers from the manufacturers website is more effective and reliable than letting a program tell me what drivers I need.
    I think you misunderstood me derekimo, the application I'm trying to remove from the notification area is not a startup program.

    Whenever I just run it, it's notification area icon appears aswell. So I was wondering if there's a way to bann it from the notification area due to the fact that it's just useless to me.

    BTW, how did you get an image in your signature?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #93
    Brink's Avatar

    Administrator


    Join Date : Apr 2007
    Texas, USA
    Posts : 31,212
    64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise (RTM)
    Local Time: 12:20 PM
    usa us texas

      Thread Starter

    Re: Notification Area - System Icons

    Quote Originally Posted by MrElectrifyer View Post
    Hi Brink

    Is it possible to disable individual non-system icons in the notification area?

    I want to disable a program called "Driver Genius", which just takes up space on my task-bar, nothing beneficent. It doesn't appear to have an option to disable it built inside the application itself, so I thought your would know a registry hack.
    Hello,

    If it's a notification icon, then you may be able to use the tutorial below to hide it. You might also look at the program's settings to see if there may be an option to not show the tray icon.

    Notification Icons - Customize

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #94
    MrElectrifyer's Avatar

    Electrical Engineer
    Join Date : Jan 2009
    Canada
    Posts : 37
    Vista x64 Ultimate SP2, Se7en x64 Ultimate (Dual Boot)
    Local Time: 11:20 AM
    nigeria

     

    Re: Notification Area - System Icons

    Quote Originally Posted by Brink View Post
    Hello,

    If it's a notification icon, then you may be able to use the tutorial below to hide it. You might also look at the program's settings to see if there may be an option to not show the tray icon.

    Notification Icons - Customize

    Hope this helps,
    Shawn
    Guess there isn't any possible registry hack to bann specific icons from appearing in the system tray (not hiding in it such that when you click the "<" button, it appears) Eitherways, thanks for the attempt.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #95
    Brink's Avatar

    Administrator


    Join Date : Apr 2007
    Texas, USA
    Posts : 31,212
    64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise (RTM)
    Local Time: 12:20 PM
    usa us texas

      Thread Starter

    Re: Notification Area - System Icons

    Unless the program itself has an option to hide/remove the tray icon, then not that I know of.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Notification Area - System Icons
Similar Threads
Tutorial Category
Notification Area System Icons Have Disappeared Vista General
Notification Area System Icons Have Disappeared Vista performance & maintenance
How can I hide one or two system icons from Notification Area? General Discussion
System Icons Missing in Notification Area!!! Vista General
Notification Area - Hide All System Icons Tutorials