How to Restore and Change a Desktop Icon in Vista
This will show you how to restore or change the Computer, User's Files, Network, Recycle Bin, and Control Panel default Vista desktop icons.
- To change the desktop Control Panel icon, see: How to Change the Desktop Control Panel Icon in Vista
- Sometimes refreshing the desktop will remove or show a icon that has been deleted or added to the desktop. To do so, press F5 or right click on the desktop and click Refresh.
- Sometimes the desktop icon may be not aligned correctly and is offscreen and not seen. You can right on a empty space on the desktop and click on Auto Arrange to realign the desktop icons.
Right click on a empty area of the desktop and click on Personalize
. (See screenshot below)
Click on Change desktop icons
in the upper left corner. (See screenshot below)
3. To Add or Remove a Destop Icon
4. To Change the Icon for a Desktop Icon
NOTE: To change the Control Panel icon, see
A) Check the Desktop icons in the top section that you want to add to the desktop. (See left screenshot below step 5)OPTION TWO:
B) Uncheck the Desktop icons in the top section that you want to remove from the desktop.
A) Right click on any file or folder.
B) Click on Send To and Desktop (create shortcut). (See Screenshot below)
: How to Change the Desktop Control Panel Icon in Vista
A) Click on a icon to highlight it in the middle section. (See left screenshot below step 5)5. To Restore the Default Icon for a Desktop Icon
NOTE: If this does not restore the default icon and you already tried manually changing the icon back in step 4, then try rebuilding the icon cache.
B) Click on the Change Icon button.
C) Select the icon you want for the desktop icon and click OK. (See right screenshot below step 5)
NOTE: If you have a icon of your own you want to use instead, then click the Browse button and navigate to the location you saved it to. For the icon to display properly, it needs to be a 256x256 .ico icon file.
A) Click on a icon you want to restore in the middle section to highlight it. (See left screenshot below)
B) Click on the Restore Default
NOTE: For some reason, when you use Restore Default on the Recycle Bin, it will sometimes cause the Recycle Bin to not refresh automatically anymore. This will leave the Recycle Bin to always show as full or empty when it is not. If this happens to you, then see
: How to Fix the Recycle Bin Icon Not Refreshing When Emptied
Click on OK
to apply and close window.