Not a request for help just a statement of how I got around my windows update problem.
My Windows Updates were failing. It got to the point where it was taking half an hour to install then uninstall them on re-boot.
The error was 80070005 which is associated with permissions.
I read several postings suggesting running scripts to change registry permissions to Admin. I decided not to do this as some who had done so said that where there are several logins on the PC the non-admin ones stop working after running such scripts.
In the end I spotted a suggestion to install my 6 months of updates one at a time as the patches can interact and make it impossible to install them together.
So I installed 1 then 2 then 3 or 4 at a time of my 27 updates. These all installed successfully.
Having installed the last ones Service Pack 1 appeared on the list and I installed that successfully.
It takes a bit of time installing them a few (or 1 ) at a time but I have an up to date Vista now. Hopefully Iíll see some improvements too!
Hope this helps someone.