Windows Vista Forums

My laptop wont install updates

  1. #1



    Newbie
    Join Date : Jun 2010
    Posts : 4
    x64
    Local Time: 04:55 PM

    My laptop wont install updates

    For about 2 weeks now my laptop shows that I have updates to install when i click start, there is an install icon on my shut down button. normally I just click shut down and it will start to download and once its finished the computer will automatically restart on its own. This time when I click shut down it will shut down, show Updates Installing 1 of 3. after about 30 seconds the computer totally shuts down. Once I power the computer back up and sign back in, the icon appears again on my shut down button. I feel this is preventing me from downloading songs from Itunes also. Ever since this has occured my itunes will not download anything I purchase. Please someone help me out with this situation. By the way Im using Windows Vista. I have an HP laptop

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.   


  3. #2
    tom982's Avatar

    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶




    Join Date : Mar 2010
    England
    Posts : 3,642
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Local Time: 10:55 PM
    uk uk england

     

    Re: My laptop wont install updates

    How do I reset Windows Update components?

    Follow those instructions, and let me know if it works. Do it with the tool, not in command prompt.

    If it doesn't then you should try a SFC Scan:

    1. Open the start menu
    2. In the search box, type cmd
    3. Right click on command prompt and select run as administrator
    4. In command prompt, type:

    sfc /scannow

    Let it run, it should take about 15 minutes, and let me know if it finds any problems.

    Tom

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #3



    Newbie
    Join Date : Jun 2010
    Posts : 4
    x64
    Local Time: 04:55 PM


      Thread Starter

    Re: My laptop wont install updates

    no problem will do and I will let you know if this works. thank you

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #4



    Newbie
    Join Date : Jun 2010
    Posts : 4
    x64
    Local Time: 04:55 PM


      Thread Starter

    Re: My laptop wont install updates

    that process did not work. I tried to have the program fix it for me but my internet connection wouldnt allow it. i also ran cmd but it also didnt work. i check my windows update. it says that i have an important windows update to download but it wont allow me. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Windows Vist and Windows Server 2008 (KB979906). i tried manually installing it but it still wont allow me.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #5
    ilikefree's Avatar

    Senior Member



    Join Date : Jan 2010
    New Zealand
    Posts : 2,561
    Vista Home Premium 32bit.SP2
    Local Time: 11:55 AM
    newzealand

     

    Re: My laptop wont install updates

    Have you scanned for malware?
    Malwarebytes

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #6
    Ashvin Busviah's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date : Sep 2009
    New Zealand
    Posts : 844
    windows 7/ windows vista/ windows xp pro/ windows server 2003
    Local Time: 10:55 AM
    newzealand

     

    Re: My laptop wont install updates

    All about windows update issue

    I suggest that you go thru each of the step below and see if one or more will isolate the issue.

    Clean Boot
    ---------------------------
    1. Click the Start button.
    2. Type MSCONFIG in the Start Search box then press the Enter key.
    3. When the System Configuration window appear, click the Services tab.
    4. Put a tick on the "Hide all Microsoft services" option.
    5. Click the "Disable All" button.
    6. Click the Apply button and then the Ok button next.
    7. If you get a prompt to Restart the computer, please do so. Click the Restart button for changes to take effect.
    8. After restarting, a dialog box should come up. Click the tick box where it shows the “Don’t show this message again” then click the Ok button.
    9. After restarting, observe if your laptop would freeze after 20 minutes.

    Disable AntiVirus
    ---------------------------

    -Disable your AntiVirus program temporarily. Security settings applied by such protection programs can hold installation of Windows Update that sometimes change settings on your computer.

    Run the Windows Update Reset Component tool in default option.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Please visit the link below:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

    2. Click on the Microsoft Fix it Microsoft Fix it 50202 and when you get to the option to choose Default and Agressive, choose the Default option and follow the next instructions.

    3. Restart the computer afterwards.

    Enable important Windows Services
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Click the Start button.
    2. Type SERVICES in the Start Search box then press the Enter key.
    3. From the Services window that will come up, scroll to the bottom portion of the list. Locate the following services:

    -Windows Installer
    -Windows Modules Installer

    4. Double-click on each service above to bring up the Properties window.
    5. Make sure that the “Startup type” value is set to Automatic. If not, simply click the box and select “Automatic.”
    6. Click the Start button under “Service Status” if available.
    7. Click Apply followed by the Ok button.

    Unregister Windows Installer and then reregister Windows Installer
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run:.
    2. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.
    3. On the "Start" menu, click "Run".
    4. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

    Add DNS
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Click Start > Control Panel (Classic View) > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Right Click and click on Properties.
    2. Double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 > Mark the Use the following DNS Server Addresses.
    3. Set the IP Addresses for "Preferred DNS Server" as 4.2.2.1 and for "Alternate DNS Server" as 4.2.2.2 and click OK twice.

    Remove Proxy Server Entry
    ------------------------------------

    1. Open Internet Explorer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    3. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
    4. In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box, click to select the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK.
    5. Quit Internet Explorer.
    6. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    7. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
    a. proxycfg -d
    b. net stop wuauserv
    c. net start wuauserv
    d. exit

    Use the System File Checker (SFC)
    --------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Click Start, type "cmd" (without the quote) in the Start Search bar, right-click cmd.exe and click run as administrator.
    2. Input the following commands and press Enter after each line.

    sfc /purgecache
    sfc /scannow

    Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", "/Purgecache". This command will take several minutes to complete. Please insert the Windows Vista installation DVD if you are prompted to do so.

    3. Restart the computer upon completion

    Install the System Update Readiness Tools
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Please visit the link below and download the standalone installer for KB947821.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=b4d90b06-c27d-4483-bc1f-04d43fa7b293&displaylang=en

    2. Save the file to your desktop.
    3. Double click on the standalone installer to execute the installation.
    4. Restart the computer upon completion.

    Correct the permissions on your user profile:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    -Please open the SubinACL – Vista.doc that I attached on this message to see the instructions (with screenshots) for this process. You will be using the subinacl.zip that I also attached on this message when you carry on with the steps.

    Elevate your User Profile’s priveleges
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Run Command Prompt in elevated mode. (Click Start > type CMD in the Start Search box > Right-click CMD.exe and choose Run as administrator)
    2. In the black screen, type the following command lines followed by pressing the Enter key after each line.

    - net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD
    - net localgroup administrators LocalService /ADD
    - fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

    3. After you receive the operation sucessful message after each command line, restart the computer.

    Download and Install Vista Service Pack Manually
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Please visit below link and download the correct standalone installer for KB936330.

    Vista Service Pack 1:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

    2. Save it to your desktop.
    5. Restart the computer when you finished downloading the file.
    6. As the computer restarts, keep tapping on the F8 key until you see Windows Advanced Menu.
    7. Select Safe Mode and Enter.
    8. Right click to select Run as administrator/double click on the standalone installer to execute the installation.
    9. Restart the computer upon completion.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #7



    Newbie
    Join Date : Jun 2010
    Posts : 4
    x64
    Local Time: 04:55 PM


      Thread Starter

    Re: My laptop wont install updates

    thanks for all the information. i will give it a shot and see what happens. can anyone explain what would cause this to happen. My laptop was working properly but I use wifi when Im at home and a few times in the Airport. After than it hasnt been working right since. I opened windows update and checked the box for it not to automatically download new installations. Once I did this the Install icon disappeared from the shut down button but I still cannot manually install anything on my computer right now.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #8
    tom982's Avatar

    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶




    Join Date : Mar 2010
    England
    Posts : 3,642
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Local Time: 10:55 PM
    uk uk england

     

    Re: My laptop wont install updates

    Quote Originally Posted by ashvin View Post
    All about windows update issue

    I suggest that you go thru each of the step below and see if one or more will isolate the issue.

    Clean Boot
    ---------------------------
    1. Click the Start button.
    2. Type MSCONFIG in the Start Search box then press the Enter key.
    3. When the System Configuration window appear, click the Services tab.
    4. Put a tick on the "Hide all Microsoft services" option.
    5. Click the "Disable All" button.
    6. Click the Apply button and then the Ok button next.
    7. If you get a prompt to Restart the computer, please do so. Click the Restart button for changes to take effect.
    8. After restarting, a dialog box should come up. Click the tick box where it shows the “Don’t show this message again” then click the Ok button.
    9. After restarting, observe if your laptop would freeze after 20 minutes.

    Disable AntiVirus
    ---------------------------

    -Disable your AntiVirus program temporarily. Security settings applied by such protection programs can hold installation of Windows Update that sometimes change settings on your computer.

    Run the Windows Update Reset Component tool in default option.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Please visit the link below:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

    2. Click on the Microsoft Fix it Microsoft Fix it 50202 and when you get to the option to choose Default and Agressive, choose the Default option and follow the next instructions.

    3. Restart the computer afterwards.

    Enable important Windows Services
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Click the Start button.
    2. Type SERVICES in the Start Search box then press the Enter key.
    3. From the Services window that will come up, scroll to the bottom portion of the list. Locate the following services:

    -Windows Installer
    -Windows Modules Installer

    4. Double-click on each service above to bring up the Properties window.
    5. Make sure that the “Startup type” value is set to Automatic. If not, simply click the box and select “Automatic.”
    6. Click the Start button under “Service Status” if available.
    7. Click Apply followed by the Ok button.

    Unregister Windows Installer and then reregister Windows Installer
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run:.
    2. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.
    3. On the "Start" menu, click "Run".
    4. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

    Add DNS
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Click Start > Control Panel (Classic View) > Network and Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Right Click and click on Properties.
    2. Double-click Internet Protocol Version 4 > Mark the Use the following DNS Server Addresses.
    3. Set the IP Addresses for "Preferred DNS Server" as 4.2.2.1 and for "Alternate DNS Server" as 4.2.2.2 and click OK twice.

    Remove Proxy Server Entry
    ------------------------------------

    1. Open Internet Explorer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    3. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings.
    4. In the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box, click to select the Automatically detect settings check box, and then click OK.
    5. Quit Internet Explorer.
    6. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
    7. Type the following commands. Press ENTER after each command.
    a. proxycfg -d
    b. net stop wuauserv
    c. net start wuauserv
    d. exit

    Use the System File Checker (SFC)
    --------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Click Start, type "cmd" (without the quote) in the Start Search bar, right-click cmd.exe and click run as administrator.
    2. Input the following commands and press Enter after each line.

    sfc /purgecache
    sfc /scannow

    Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", "/Purgecache". This command will take several minutes to complete. Please insert the Windows Vista installation DVD if you are prompted to do so.

    3. Restart the computer upon completion

    Install the System Update Readiness Tools
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Please visit the link below and download the standalone installer for KB947821.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=b4d90b06-c27d-4483-bc1f-04d43fa7b293&displaylang=en

    2. Save the file to your desktop.
    3. Double click on the standalone installer to execute the installation.
    4. Restart the computer upon completion.

    Correct the permissions on your user profile:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    -Please open the SubinACL – Vista.doc that I attached on this message to see the instructions (with screenshots) for this process. You will be using the subinacl.zip that I also attached on this message when you carry on with the steps.

    Elevate your User Profile’s priveleges
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Run Command Prompt in elevated mode. (Click Start > type CMD in the Start Search box > Right-click CMD.exe and choose Run as administrator)
    2. In the black screen, type the following command lines followed by pressing the Enter key after each line.

    - net localgroup administrators NetworkService /ADD
    - net localgroup administrators LocalService /ADD
    - fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

    3. After you receive the operation sucessful message after each command line, restart the computer.

    Download and Install Vista Service Pack Manually
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    1. Please visit below link and download the correct standalone installer for KB936330.

    Vista Service Pack 1:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

    2. Save it to your desktop.
    5. Restart the computer when you finished downloading the file.
    6. As the computer restarts, keep tapping on the F8 key until you see Windows Advanced Menu.
    7. Select Safe Mode and Enter.
    8. Right click to select Run as administrator/double click on the standalone installer to execute the installation.
    9. Restart the computer upon completion.
    Did you write all of this yourself? I think that has got to be the longest, and most informative answer that I have ever read on VF

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #9
    Ashvin Busviah's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date : Sep 2009
    New Zealand
    Posts : 844
    windows 7/ windows vista/ windows xp pro/ windows server 2003
    Local Time: 10:55 AM
    newzealand

     

    Re: My laptop wont install updates

    ohh yes.. did all the research about windows update issue and tried to gather all together.. what I would say there.. there are many fixes here and one of them might be your solution.. so pick and chose or if you dont know i might go through all of them they are harmless as I tried it on my girlfriend.. if she can do it.. anyone can do it.. lol.. thanks god she is not on this forum./. else i'll sleep outside tonight..

    cheers

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  11. #10
    tom982's Avatar

    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶




    Join Date : Mar 2010
    England
    Posts : 3,642
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Local Time: 10:55 PM
    uk uk england

     

    Re: My laptop wont install updates

    Quote Originally Posted by ashvin View Post
    ohh yes.. did all the research about windows update issue and tried to gather all together.. what I would say there.. there are many fixes here and one of them might be your solution.. so pick and chose or if you dont know i might go through all of them they are harmless as I tried it on my girlfriend.. if she can do it.. anyone can do it.. lol..
    cheers
    Well I've learnt a lot from it, so thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by ashvin
    thanks god she is not on this forum./. else i'll sleep outside tonight..
    I know what you mean

    Tom

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My laptop wont install updates
Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Vista updates,downloaded, but wont install Vista account administration
Updates wont install since SP3 Vista General
Updates wont install Vista General
Updates wont install Vista General
New laptop, vista wont install Battlefield 2 Vista Games