Solved A call of Duty Related Problem That Has Become Far More Difficult

spencer01

This is an issue I raised with Activision about Call of Duty Black Ops and the response I got from them, I have no idea if he is right in his conclusions and whether or not what I am sure is my 64 bit version of vista home premium should produce a 32 and 64 bit dxdiag report? I've put the technical query below, (It starts at the bottom with my initial query), and attached my 32 and 64 dxdiag report. Any help would be very much appreciated because as I said I really don't know if what he is saying is true or just rubbish :sarc: Thanks!

Discussion Thread
Response (Flaviano Arroyo) 11/12/2010 08:07 AM Hello,

Your system doesn't show that it is Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) which is not a x64-bit system, but you are running Direct X 11. This could cause conflict issues like the one you are experiencing now. A x64-bit system would also not have two different DXdiags that could run.

So in short, you have conflicting programs in your system that are both trying to run the game.

Customer
(Spencer Dunn)
11/12/2010 07:50 AM I have attached my dxdiag and dxdiag 64 bit results. The game is obviously still running I can hear all the sounds and am able to fire weapons etc but other than being able to see the compass, ammo counter, and objectives the rest of the screen is completely black and it remains that way how ever long I wait or no matter what I do? and this only happen when becoming driver of the boat whilst on foot before everything is fine. Response

(Flaviano Arroyo)
11/12/2010 04:17 AM Hello,
Unfortunately once a patch has become available through Steam there is no way to remove it. You can try completely uninstalling the game and then install again. Select to play in offline mode to see if the update does not get a forced download. Unfortunately, the moment you connect online the patch will be applied again.

To start troubleshooting this incident, since you are asking a question about a PC title, it may be a good idea to attach a text version of the DirectX file that is on your PC to your question. This file reports all drivers for your sound and video card, as well as other vital information about your system that will help us in resolving your problem.

So please send us DirectX Diagnostic report. That will give us more detailed information about what could be causing the problem.

Once we have that information, we will be able to suggest possible solutions.
Auto-Response 11/12/2010 03:39 AM

Customer
(Spencer Dunn)
11/12/2010 03:39 AM I have the PC version of call of duty black ops which yesterday was running fine since steam automatically applied the new patch this morning I loaded up the mission I was playing which was the PBR boat vehicle mission which the night before had worked fine now when my character enters the drivers position of the boat at the start of the mission the screen goes black and stays black, the game is still playing and the HUD is still on screen (compass, ammo count etc) but it just stays black. How can I remove the patch? My copy worked fine graphically with no errors or crashes although sometimes it would run sluggishly and I hoped the patch would fix this problem but instead the patch has only made the game worse.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    20.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DxDiag64.txt
    32.7 KB · Views: 60

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q-PRO
    Memory
    Corsair 1066 Dominator DDR2 4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4870
    Sound Card
    Motherboard Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster T220
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 500Gb ATA
    PSU
    Corsair 800W
    Case
    Thermaltake xaser III
    Keyboard
    Logitech Basic
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
Hello, and welcome to the Vista Forums!

As you have guessed, this is all completely incorrect:

Your system doesn't show that it is Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) which is not a x64-bit system, but you are running Direct X 11. This could cause conflict issues like the one you are experiencing now. A x64-bit system would also not have two different DXdiags that could run.

So in short, you have conflicting programs in your system that are both trying to run the game.
  • It does not always display x64, depending on where you got the information from.

• Vista SP2 always has DirectX11 installed, in addition to DirectX10.1, and whatever other versions you have installed manually, such as 9.0c. It is on every system, and will not cause conflicts.

• A x64-bit system would also not have two different DXdiags that could run.
    Yeah it so would.

• So in short, you have conflicting programs in your system that are both trying to run the game.
    Permission to disagree?
However, he is probably right about not being able to uninstall a patch.

Can I also ask you a question about what I think is happening? Sometimes, when a program crashes, it crashes to a black screen, crashes to a Stopped Working message etc.

However, what can happen is that it can stop responding without fully crashing. The current audio file will loop round and round. Whatever is stored on screen until told to update (ie not updated every frame) can stay. Therefore, the static HUD could stay, the music could loop, but the program could be dead.

Please go and do the same thing to make it crash, and press and hold the Ctrl key. While still holding it, add the Shift key just above it to the hold. Now press the Esc key, and release all three. Task Manager should appear. See if Black Ops shows as Not Responding.

Either way, come back here.

Thanks!

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
Thanks for the reply, I was half way convinced that what he was saying was wrong but I could not be sure. I was pretty sure before hand that he would say the patch was not removable so no loss there, as for the game it's self ctrl alt delete brings up the task manager and the game is reported as working fine and as I brought up in the tech support query the game runs fine I can hear it working. Pressing the left mouse button I can hear the main weapon firing in game so I know the game is still running also the on screen compass rotates with the movement of the mouse the HUD reacts to my key presses but the screen is black.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q-PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4870
    Sound Card
    Motherboard Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster T220
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 500Gb ATA
    PSU
    Corsair 800W
    Case
    Thermaltake xaser III
    Keyboard
    Logitech Basic
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
Hello again!

Sorry about the late reply - been busy. I don't think there is much I can do. You can go back onto Steam Support, re-install, or wait for the next patch to be released. It sounds like a game bug, and not anything I can deal with. I could offer a bit of general advice, but I think it will get us no-where. What do you want to do?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Thanks for all your help, as far as trouble shooting cod don't worry about it that job is for activision to do and I am still having an on going issue with them about it. You have answered what I wanted to know which is that the tech support guy at activision is talking nonsense, the game like so many released now comes with a whole raft of problems (makes you wonder if they do any testing before release at all?). Thanks for your help what you have told me will help a lot when dealing with tech support!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q-PRO
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4870
    Sound Card
    Motherboard Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster T220
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 500Gb ATA
    PSU
    Corsair 800W
    Case
    Thermaltake xaser III
    Keyboard
    Logitech Basic
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
No problems! I shall mark it as solved, but this does not close the thread, so you may come back and ask more questions on this topic in this very thread at any time. Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Back