Solved After SP1 PC wouldn't boot - now kinda solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

david2

Hi,

Thanks to all the folks on this forum for sharing their experiences and ESPECIALLY to the dude who posted the recovery disk ISO.

I had two failed SP1 installs; got to 100% then said "Service Pack did not install. reverting changes" - that was from Windows Update, second attempt was from a manual download of the all languages file (the failure message was slightly different - it was "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes".)

OK so far. Now update says I should have KB938371 (which MS say fixes SP1 install problems). I click ok and it reboots and hey presto - Vista suicide! PC won't boot. The problem was a missing winload.exe with error 0x00000f (IIRC). Luckily I have Linux installed (bless Linus Torvalds), so I download your iso, boot that and try the repair function. Doesn't work - says "Disk corrupt". Also no copy of Vista is found so can't go back to a restore point (probably because one of my Linux partitions is the active one which runs a boot manager). After a few attempts with this and that I try this, and it works. Open a dos command prompt and type:

copy x:\windows\system32\Boot\winload.exe c:\windows\system32\winload.exe

Corrupt disk, eh?

And now my vista works fine, although it still don't have KB938371 (haven't tried it again yet) and SP1 is not installed.

What a mess. M$ one of the richest companies on the planet, should be ashamed of this.

Thanks to all the folks on here.

Regards,
David.

My Computer

Hi, [email protected], and welcome to the forums.

What makes you think this is *Microsoft's* fault?

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro X64 Insider Preview (Skip Ahead) latest build
    Manufacturer/Model
    The Beast Model V (homebrew)
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 EE @ 3.6 GHz
    Motherboard
    eVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770-A1)
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0 (04G-P4-3979-KB)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio (onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 * Lenovo LT2323pwA Widescreeen
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk Ultra SDSSDHII-960G-G25 960 GB SATA III SSD (System)
    Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SATA III SSD (User Tree)
    2 * Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II Mech. HD
    Seagate ST1500DL001-9VT15L Barracuda 7200.12 1.5 TB S
    PSU
    Thermaltake Black Widow TX TR2 850W 80+ Bronze Semi-Mod ATX
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT (Black)
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 (CPU, dual 140 mm fans on radiator) + Air (2 *
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared)
    Internet Speed
    AT&T Lightspeed Gigabit duplex
  • Operating System
    Sabayon Linux (current, weekly updates, 5.1.x kernel)
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Conextant 20671 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    INTEL Cherryvill 520 Series SSDSC2CW180A 180 GB SSD
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master (shared) | Synaptics TouchPad
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
    AT&T LightSpeed Gigabit Duplex
Dear John Gault,

A) Because my system was fine before the upgrade and I haven't touched anything on the system or installed anything, other than clicking on the upgrade.
B) Because thousands of other people are reporting the same or similar problems with SP1.

What makes you think it isn't their fault?

Regards,
David.

My Computer

Because SP1 is causing problems *primarily* with poorly written *drivers* from manufacturers.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    3 * Mushkin 998981 Redline Enhanced triple channel DDR3 4 GB CL7 DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3-12800)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
My system works generally OK without SP1. I have issues with the file explorer crashing sometimes and the "host processes" process dies sometimes, but it seems to work ok. If the drivers are poor (I have a top-end Sony laptop so it's unlikely in my case) but they work without SP1 why should the addition of SP1 make so much of a difference? Why should my system fail to boot afterwards? That's kind of a big problem with the upgrade process.

My Computer

OK, a couple of things to consider.

1. First of all, all the hardware in your high end SONY laptop is not *made* by Sony. Hence, Sony is not going to be responsible for the drivers that it has installed on its machine when you buy it - as the end user, *you* are responsible for maintenance on it, much the same way you are with your car.
  2. The point of SP1 and drivers not playing nicely is exactly that - SP1 changes things that older drivers do not like being changed - hence you need newer drivers. Just because you bought the machine yesterday does not mean it has the latest drivers that have been written to fix things like incompatibilities for SP1 - you don't know how old the machine really is, nor (more importantly) how old the image is that SONY put on that laptop.
  3. I have issues with the file explorer crashing sometimes and the "host processes" process dies sometimes, but it seems to work ok
    - sorry, but that is not working OK. Your machine should not be crashing at all, unless you've installed incompatible software.
  4. SP1 changed several hundred files in the OS, I think it was something like 551 total changes to the Vista OS. Why should it make much of a difference? I don't know - but I know that it *does*.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2 * 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15 (gen 2)
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo ThinkPad E545
    CPU
    AMD A6-5350M APU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Radeon HD (Embedded)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Lenovo 15" Matte
    Screen Resolution
    1680 * 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Lenovo
    Case
    Lenovo
    Cooling
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Internet Speed
Hi peep's this might not be the right place to put this but maybe you can help!!!!!

i brought a laptop about 5 months ago and i run updates once every week i ran updates the other day and it found vista servic pak 1 (B.T.W i have vista home premium) once the updat had finished it did it's normal windows has to restart to complete update i clicked ok and it started to restart and i went to bed.... when i woke up the next day it was still shutting down but i left it because i no sometimes big updates will take time anyway when i came home from work it had shut down.. the next day i came to start the laptop and i got the vista loading screen then a black back ground with a error code on it (i can't remeber wot it was at the moment cause i not near my laptop but will post it when i can) My computer will not go past this stage anymore so i can't use my laptop... i created a backup disc but can't find it (put it in that safe of a place that i lost it lol) is there anyway of getting a back up disk or a way of getting the computer to run without have to re-buy vista and do a complete new install thanks !!!

My Computer

Hi John,

A little late in replying but wanted to follow up here.

1. My point was that when Sony ship a laptop the hardware and drivers supplied should be ok.

2. Fair enough, but it shouldn't render the O/S incabable of booting.

3. I worked out why Explorer was crashing - it was related to ZipGenius (I found this out by clicking on "Debug" on the crash dialog and looking at the stack in Visual Studio). I uninstalled that and the crashes went away. I'm not sure about host processes, that seems to have gone away too (see next point).

4. In the end I opened up a free support ticket with MS, and they tried lots of stuff. Eventually they advised me to reinstall Vista over the top of my existing install and then install SP1. This did the trick. I'm the proud owner of a SP1 Vista.

Thanks,
David.

OK, a couple of things to consider.

1. First of all, all the hardware in your high end SONY laptop is not *made* by Sony. Hence, Sony is not going to be responsible for the drivers that it has installed on its machine when you buy it - as the end user, *you* are responsible for maintenance on it, much the same way you are with your car.
  2. The point of SP1 and drivers not playing nicely is exactly that - SP1 changes things that older drivers do not like being changed - hence you need newer drivers. Just because you bought the machine yesterday does not mean it has the latest drivers that have been written to fix things like incompatibilities for SP1 - you don't know how old the machine really is, nor (more importantly) how old the image is that SONY put on that laptop.
  3. I have issues with the file explorer crashing sometimes and the "host processes" process dies sometimes, but it seems to work ok
    - sorry, but that is not working OK. Your machine should not be crashing at all, unless you've installed incompatible software.
  4. SP1 changed several hundred files in the OS, I think it was something like 551 total changes to the Vista OS. Why should it make much of a difference? I don't know - but I know that it *does*.

My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back