Solved Cannot boot

Rino42

error unmountable_boot_volume
stop 0x00000ED (0x86470650,0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba P200-144
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 2GHz
    Motherboard
    DDR2 RAM 667 MHz
    Memory
    Memory 1,024+1,024MB
Running Memtest 86, 1st pass complete, no errors. How many do I need to do ? Any special settings ?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba P200-144
    CPU
    Motherboard
    DDR2 RAM 667 MHz
    Memory
    Memory 1,024+1,024MB
OK will do tonight. Should I also do the Hard Drive dignostic mentioned ? Toshiba link says "Runs only under DOS from a bootdisk", do not know how to do it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba P200-144
    CPU
    Motherboard
    DDR2 RAM 667 MHz
    Memory
    Memory 1,024+1,024MB
I'm not a great fan of the Toshiba test. It'll be easier (and just as accurate) to run the Seagate Seatools test.
The instructions will have you download an .iso file.
I give a suggestion for a free ISO writer
Use that to write the .iso file to a CD
Then boot to the CD in order to run it (for a Toshiba, you press F12 while the Toshiba splash screen is showing at boot - then select the CD/DVD drive to boot from).

My Computer

Run three passes of memory test, no issue. Then run SeaTools and on C, short test passed but long test failed, after showing many errors (The drive is not responding to commands. Check cable and drive power connection.).

On drive D short and long test passed.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba P200-144
    CPU
    Motherboard
    DDR2 RAM 667 MHz
    Memory
    Memory 1,024+1,024MB
I often get drives that pass the short test and still fail the long test.
This is because the short test only spot-checks the drive. So if it spot checks the good sectors it doesn't show an issue.

Replace the drive (even if it offers to repair it). I find that most repairs of this type only prolong the agony of a dying drive - so it's easier to just replace it and get it over with.

Good luck!

My Computer

My issue is that replacing the drive cost more then buying a new laptop, but more importantly does not solve the issue of how to get my data out of it (have important info that I did not back up, do not ask).

Do you think then the only solution is paying a company to professional recover the data ?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba P200-144
    CPU
    Motherboard
    DDR2 RAM 667 MHz
    Memory
    Memory 1,024+1,024MB
In the US a laptop hard drive costs $60 to $100 - and in most cases they are easy to install.
The Toshiba recovery disks are easy to make - and if you didn't make them you can order a set from Toshiba (at a cost) - Order Recovery Discs (USA)

Being that this is a Vista system, it may be worthwhile upgrading to Win7 (and get a free copy of Win8 when it's released).

IMO there's 3 types of data recovery:

1) copying the data off the hard drive to another hard drive (easy enough to do - depending on what's working/not working). May/may not require additional equipment.
2) Using data recovery software to recover the data and copy it to another hard drive. There is free software available, but IMO it's awfully complicated to use effectively (and do you really want to try and figure out this software while trying to recover your data from a dying hard drive?). I prefer GetDataBack from Runtime.org (about $80 US) - but it'll tell what it can recover before you buy it. May/may not require additional equipment.
3) Professional services that deal with damaged data (very, very expensive)

The most important thing here is to use the hard drive as little as possible - as each use increases the chance of the hard drive dying for good (and that'll require the expensive form of data recovery).
If you have an external hard drive, the first thing to try is a bootable OS disk (such as the Ultimate Boot CD or a live Linux distro). Use that to copy the data from the old hard drive to the external hard drive.

If the copy fails, then you've gotta try the next step - which may/may not work (depending on the condition of the hard drive). And if that doesn't work, you're not really out any money if you ran the GetDataBack program before buying it.

Then you've gotta decide about having a pro do it - I've seen it range from $500 to $2000 (US)

Good luck!

My Computer

Have now taken out both hard drives and inserted a new one (SSD).
Connected an external DVD Player, with the Toshiba Recovery CD that came with the machine (which I can navigate using the same DVD player and another machine).
Set up F2 to launch first the USB connected DVD Player and disabled all others.

It loads Vista files, the opens a window x:\windows\systems32\cmd.exe - startnet.cmd
Inside there is this message:
Waiting for ODD to become available...
ODD drive D: ready.
Check for mediume in drive D: ...

And nothing happens. Help !:mad:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba P200-144
    CPU
    Motherboard
    DDR2 RAM 667 MHz
    Memory
    Memory 1,024+1,024MB
Have now taken out both hard drives and inserted a new one (SSD).
Connected an external DVD Player, with the Toshiba Recovery CD that came with the machine (which I can navigate using the same DVD player and another machine).
Set up F2 to launch first the USB connected DVD Player and disabled all others.

It loads Vista files, the opens a window x:\windows\systems32\cmd.exe - startnet.cmd
Inside there is this message:
Waiting for ODD to become available...
ODD drive D: ready.
Check for mediume in drive D: ...

And nothing happens. Help !:mad:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba P200-144
    CPU
    Motherboard
    DDR2 RAM 667 MHz
    Memory
    Memory 1,024+1,024MB
I don't know if the Toshiba's are compatible with the SSD - and especially doubt that Vista has the necessary drivers to support an SSD on the older controller in your laptop.

To test, try installing Vista onto a regular, platter based hard drive.

My Computer

So sorted. Just to give you feedback, your suggestions of recovering data via GetDataBack was great, recovered all the data. Costed me the 50-100$ cost of the software which is I guess one tenth of the cost and much more convenient then sending the PC back to a pro. Maybe with a free Linux disk I could have done the same, but was worth the money to establish quickly I had not lost the data, and had tried Ubuntu but was not working for some reason anyway.

Re SSD, it works brilliantly now, so Crucial was right about compatibility. The issue was that despite setting the system (via F12) to boot from the USB to which the EXTERNAL DVD rom was connected, I was not able to get the Windows Recovery disk to boot. Resolved by purchasing on ebay for 20$ a new internal DVD ROM. After that no issue re-installing Windows. Which beats Toshiba's idea of taking the laptop away and replace it themselves for a few hundreds and with the incovenience of collection and redelivery (not to speak of having some genius put his hands on my laptop like a guy at Palm that once installed a programme that insists on launching itself in German language setting).

Another happy customer !!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba P200-144
    CPU
    Motherboard
    DDR2 RAM 667 MHz
    Memory
    Memory 1,024+1,024MB
Back