Solved Cant sign in as Administrator in MS Office2007

AyeSail

I'm attempting to rid an error after I close any Office 2007 program, using Vista.

Every time I close an Office 2007 program, I get "Microsoft Office Live Add-in Sign-in has stoppe working." I've learned that I must go into each Office Programs and do the following:

Click the Microsoft Office Button in each Office Program. Then click Add-ins. I do find the add-in I wish to disable.

When I click on the check box, to remove the "check" to disable it, I get the message, "This add-in is installed for all users on this computer and can only be connected or disconnected by an administrator."

I've even right clicked on an Office Program, Clicked on "Properties/Security," and given control to "Everyone."

I'm the only user on this computer, and I'm shown as the admistrator, as indicated in the "Control Panel/User Accounts and Family Safety/Add or remove user accounts" areas.

When I right click any of the Office 2007 programs, there is no option to "run as administrator."

When I go in to Notepad, and right click within is as someone else suggested, it too does not have an option to run as administrator.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Captain

My Computer

Welcome Capt
This entire tutorial may be of interest but
Try option three
and
four in particular.
Run as Administrator - Windows 7 Forums
(for both vista and seven)

Option five will give you a run as administrator shortcut. Hopefully one of these will be right for you.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Many do not realize that Seven is Vista under the hood. The particular situation that you describle should work with either Seven or Vista.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Thanks for the follow-up, Rich. Well I'm one who would have to admit that I didn't know Seven was Vista under the hood. Thanks for that nugget.

In any event, I tried the three ways to getting these programs up and running as adminstrator so that I can fix that error, but to no avail. I don't quite understand why "run as administrator" is not an option when I right click any of the programs, yet, when I try to disable the add-in, I get the message that I need to run the program as administrator ... go figure!

Thanks anyway,

Captain

My Computer

Exactly what happened when you tried those three methods. I noticed that I do not have run as administrator as an option either. But when I type word, in search and when it pops up I right click and then properties and I show the tab compatiblity and then I can tick run as administrator. What happens when you try that option?

When you get to that point, click on change for all users, at the bottom, and then check run as administrator.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Exactly what happened when you tried those three methods. I noticed that I do not have run as administrator as an option either. But when I type word, in search and when it pops up I right click and then properties and I show the tab compatiblity and then I can tick run as administrator. What happens when you try that option?

When you get to that point, click on change for all users, at the bottom, and then check run as administrator.
Thanks Rich. Well, when I type word, in search and when it pops up I right click adn then click on properties. While, I get four tabs (General, Shortcut, Security, and Details), none of which is "compatibility." I think that is in Windows 7. I think perhaps the "Security" tab in Vista serves the same function. In any event, I see six "Permission entries:
Administrators (TG-Mainsystem/Administrators) - has full control
System - Full Control
Everyone - Full Control <not inherited>
Users (TG-Mainsystem/Users) -Full Control <not inherited>
Users (TG-Mainsystem/Users) -Read & execute
Everyone - Read & execute

I'm not sure what to make of all this. However, I'm still unable to run Office 2007 as administrator, and delete the Live add-in to prevent the error when closing out all Office programs. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Captain

My Computer

I have already posted, some other suggetions, let me know the results.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I have already posted, some other suggetions, let me know the results.
Thanks Rich, yes, you mentioned the possibility of a corrupt user account. There are some programs I can right click on and there's the selection to "run as administrator," such as Adobe, HP Solution Center, System Restore, and many others. It's just seems the Office Programs don't offer this option. So, to your point, perhaps I have a corruption that just affects these.

In any event, I'm still searching my computer and other places to figure out how to create a new administrator account, first off, then I'll boot up in safe mode to see if I can access "run as administrator" from the Office programs.

Thanks, again,

Captain

My Computer

Hi AyeSail,

Are you right clicking on the program file or on the Shortcut for that program? Shortcuts don't all have that option (the Office shortcuts in the Startup menu do not have the option) - Office 2007 desktop shortcuts should (since I just created one and it had the run as administrator option and I too have Office 2007). But I'm also running as the Administrator who installed the program for all users. And whoever told you how to do it with Notepad was incorrect - it cannot be done that way - but you can right click on the Notepad icon and then click run as administrator.

BTW, inside Word I tried to uncheck the box and got the same error message. There's no way from there to "run as administrator". Yet, I do not have your problem when I logout of Office programs even with the Add-on enabled. Nevertheless, I did what I suggested you do next (using the program file itself and clicking run as administrator) and went back to the add-on and I was able to uncheck the box!! So I'm hopeful this will work.

Go to Start / Computer / C: / Program Files / Microsoft Office / Office 12 / and scroll to the executable file for the program (like winword.exe or whatever) The shortcut icon properties will tell you the filename in the target box if you need a hint. Right click on that and click on run as administrator (it will certainly appear there - if not, then there is a more serious problem to be resolved). Now see if you can make the changes you want to make. If it works, hopefully fixing one will fix them all; however, I can't guarantee that and you may need to do so for each of the Office programs as you did above for winword.exe or whichever you chose first.

I hope this helps. If not, here's how to create a new user account (Administrator or Standard - you just check the appropriate button) in Vista: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/93009-user-account-create.html. Richard provided information on how to activate the built-in Administrator account which should be even more likely to succeed at this task (and/or can also create the new Administrator account at the same time) once enabled and once you login to it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Hi AyeSail,

Are you right clicking on the program file or on the Shortcut for that program? Shortcuts don't all have that option (the Office shortcuts in the Startup menu do not have the option) - Office 2007 desktop shortcuts should (since I just created one and it had the run as administrator option and I too have Office 2007). But I'm also running as the Administrator who installed the program for all users. And whoever told you how to do it with Notepad was incorrect - it cannot be done that way - but you can right click on the Notepad icon and then click run as administrator.

BTW, inside Word I tried to uncheck the box and got the same error message. There's no way from there to "run as administrator". Yet, I do not have your problem when I logout of Office programs even with the Add-on enabled. Nevertheless, I did what I suggested you do next (using the program file itself and clicking run as administrator) and went back to the add-on and I was able to uncheck the box!! So I'm hopeful this will work.

Go to Start / Computer / C: / Program Files / Microsoft Office / Office 12 / and scroll to the executable file for the program (like winword.exe or whatever) The shortcut icon properties will tell you the filename in the target box if you need a hint. Right click on that and click on run as administrator (it will certainly appear there - if not, then there is a more serious problem to be resolved). Now see if you can make the changes you want to make. If it works, hopefully fixing one will fix them all; however, I can't guarantee that and you may need to do so for each of the Office programs as you did above for winword.exe or whichever you chose first.

I hope this helps. If not, here's how to create a new user account (Administrator or Standard - you just check the appropriate button) in Vista: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/93009-user-account-create.html. Richard provided information on how to activate the built-in Administrator account which should be even more likely to succeed at this task (and/or can also create the new Administrator account at the same time) once enabled and once you login to it.

Good luck!
Lorien,

Well, what can I say but, You Nailed it!

Your instructions worked like a charm, to say the least. They were concise, yet complete, and very easy to follow. I thank you kiindly.

Captain

My Computer

Hi Captain,

That's excellent news. It was our pleasure to assist you - glad we could help.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words and the rep - they are appreciated.

I will request that this thread be marked as solved.

And welcome to Vista Forums! Now that you know where we are, bookmark the site and post anytime you have further questions or problems or if you just want to browse and learn (especially the Tutorial section offers some excellent advice on a wide variety of topics) or even if you want to try to help answer a question if you happen to see one where you know the answer and it hasn't already been posted. While it most likely won't be us the next time (though it might), there are many very skilled, experienced, knowledgeable, and friendly people here who, like us, volunteer their time to help others and one or maybe even several will respond to your post to assist you. While there are other forums on the web that do this sort of thing, you've now found what I think is the best (and I've posted in and/or checked out quite a few) so don't lose this link - you never know when it might come in handy again.

Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Lorien,

Will do!

And, you are most welcome. Too many good folks on forums like this are too much under appreciated. You and Rich have been most helpful and I do appreciate the both of you. Solved, it is.

Captain

My Computer

What I find as so very amazing is the fact that a person can go to a pay service and will get just one person, who may or may not help at the fourm you have the combined skills of so many. Thanks for letting us help you and the best of luck to you. Come back often, if just to learn and have fun.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
What I find as so very amazing is the fact that a person can go to a pay service and will get just one person, who may or may not help at the fourm you have the combined skills of so many. Thanks for letting us help you and the best of luck to you. Come back often, if just to learn and have fun.
Rich,

Your point is well-taken. Had you two not responded the way you did, I would have went about my way, as I was not about to pay for something I didn't knowingly caused myself. The problem I was experiencing was more a nuisance than anything else, and I would have just "lived with it," as opposed to giving up bucks to some mostly ineffective "pay service." Subsequently, folks like you provide a valuable service to us novices. So, again, much gratitude ...

My Computer

Back