crcdisk.sys driver crashes laptop

So I've been working on this problem for a few days now and am at the end of my rope.

I was having problems with a driver on my Acer Aspire 5100 laptop. It's a well-used seven-year-old so for a while I figured it was overheating or the graphics card was dying on me. I did a full disassembly, cleaning, thermal pasting, and bought a cooling pad. As long as I didn't do anything intensive it worked fine. Soon, however, the driver kept "failing and recovering." Since it was the display driver I figured I should do a manual update. First, I went into Windows Update and checked the optional updates that I was missing then manually updated the display driver. I ran a virus scan afterwards because it didn't actually fix the problem.

When I woke up my screen was black but the computer was on and running. I shut it down and tried to turn it on. Now it won't boot.

I can't get into any of the Safe Mode's. The "load last working boot" won't load. I can't restore factory settings in BIOS.

The computer will load up until crcdisk.sys driver.
Then a blue screen comes up that says:

Windows shut down your computer to prevent damage blah blah run a virus scan, etc.

Stop: 0x0000007B (0x80599BB0, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I went into the comp and checked the RAM. Both are working fine. I pulled out the harddrive and USB'd it to another laptop and ran cmd with chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r. chdsk /r found some errors and fixed them. I then went into Windows\system32\ and deleted

drivers\1394bus.sys
drivers\ohci1394.sys
drivers\pcmcia.sys

driverstore\filerepository\pcmcia.infblahblah
driverstore\filerepository\1394.infblahblah
driverstore\filerepository\sdbus.infblahblah

and it still won't load past crcdisk.sys

Every other solution I've seen suggests to pull out the Vista OS disk and either run "repair my system" a "system restore" or reinstall Vista. I am unable to do any of those because my laptop came with Vista preinstalled and did not come with an OS disk. I will continue looking for a solution but I hope someone can help me in the actual forums.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5100

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
At a quick glance this may be what I need! I do have the product key (faded but still visible) on the bottom of the laptop. I don't think my backup laptop has an ISO mount so I'll download one and see if this works for the HDD. I'm hoping I can restore factory default and get the laptop working again as my other laptops are not as powerful as the broken one :/

Thanks, I hope it works ^^

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5100
If the problem is not due to harware, it should work. I do wish you luck.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
D: Worst case scenario is hardware. I'm trying to run through all available options before I attempt hardware checks. RAM is easy, but everything else will be a nightmare especially with a really old laptop.

So thanks for the luck; I'll need all of it :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5100
UPDATE:

It took forever but it worked! I wish I could give you a million reputations but I suppose letting people know about that amazing tutorial and download links is a small compensation. So thank you thank you thank you!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 5100
If I were you, I'd use the HD manufacturer's test utility to check out the hard drive - it could be the root of your problem.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Back