Encarta dictionary background is the wrong color in Vista

WaltR

I installed Encarta 2005 on Vista x86. The program wasn't made for Vista but it works just fine with the exception of one irregularity. The Dictionary background color should be white but in Vista it's gray. It wouldn't be that big of a deal but I use the Dictionary all the time and it looks a lot better white.

Edic XP.jpgEdict Vista.jpg

In Vista's advanced appearance settings I changed "Application background" and "Window" to white.

Personalize 1.jpgPersonalize 2.jpg

I also inserted a new string value in each of the three Encarta dictionary keys that I could find (Window 255 255 255):

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Reference\L05AXLRD\EDICT]
"TextStyle"=dword:00000001
"BalloonNotifySuppressed"=dword:00000001
"Window"="255 255 255"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Reference\L05AXLRD\EDICT]
"NetworkPron"="D:\\"
"PronRelative"="EE\\ENCARTA\\PRON.EIT"
"StayInSystray"=dword:00000000
"ControlData"=hex:fa,9f,a1,27,6c,70,12,41
"ControlData1"=hex:97,b9,20,dd,f6,06,54,26,47,7f,c1,4e,d0,69,79,39,ca,6b,fc,c7,\
e2,71,24,e8
"PluginPath"="E:\\PROGRAM FILES\\Microsoft Encarta\\Encarta Reference Library DVD 2005\\"
"ITSPackPath"="E:\\PROGRAM FILES\\Microsoft Encarta\\Encarta Reference Library DVD 2005\\EDICT\\"
"LocalPron"="E:\\PROGRAM FILES\\Microsoft Encarta\\Encarta Reference Library DVD 2005\\PRON.EIT"
"Window"="255 255 255"

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3261476420-4084103703-670806671-1000\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Reference\L05AXLRD\EDICT]
"TextStyle"=dword:00000001
"BalloonNotifySuppressed"=dword:00000001
"Window"="255 255 255"

None of it worked so I was wondering if someone else might have a trick or two I could try. Thanks.

My Computer

It's been a few years....
I have vague memories that this isn't so much the OS, as the browser.
If I remember right, (and someone will no doubt correct me if not) Encarta was basically written around IE4 - which was about as far from standard-compliant as it could get.
I doubt there's much you can really do about it.
You could try posting a query in the MS support forums at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-winapps - they may be able to help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Thanks Noel.

On my XP machine it displays correctly and it has IE 8. My Vista setup also has IE 8. The only difference between them is the OS so I tend to think it has more to do with that. I'm sure I could tweak it if I just knew the right tweak.

My Computer

My mom's computer has Windows 7 with the same version of Encarta installed. Hers displays all white so I'm sure it's Vista not playing nice with this particular window.

I tried something that gives me a little better insight into what's going on. First I changed this Window setting at Desktop>Personalize>Window Color and Appearance>Open classic appearance properties>Advanced.

Personalize 2.jpg

I changed it from white to purple then opened the dictionary. It opened purple then quickly reverted again to gray and white.

Window setting.jpg

Something's really screwy. There's probably not an easy remedy. I like Encarta, but I'm thinking may just uninstall it and go back to my Merriam-Webster. :D

My Computer

Back