Giving applications Admin Rights

Mcingo

Hello, I have a small question maybe someone can help me with.

Im running Vista Home Prem. 64, Im trying to get two applications of mine to open with Admin rights when going through a shortcut. I'm going to the actual file within Program Files/Application/exe. and right clicking it to bring up the Properties.

Now within the Properties / Compatibiliy... I see the option checkbox for "Run this Program as an Administrator", but it appears greyed out. How do I get this option to become active, so I do not have to right click and select "Run as Admin" everytime I want to open the application?

I am the admin for the computer, it is just my home computer, built and installed by myself. Your help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing a solution.

Thanks for your time

Mike

My Computer

A couple questions:

Have you disabled UAC? If so, then it shouldn't matter, so I could see Vista greying it out.

Have you looked at other applications to see if it's an option?

Do you have multiple accounts and you're on one of your non-administrative accounts?

My Computer

Are these applications you developed? For some reason, I seem to recall flipping through some instructions for developers on how to make administrative applications. You might want to check Microsoft's site for developers.

My Computer

Hello, I have a small question maybe someone can help me with.

Im running Vista Home Prem. 64, Im trying to get two applications of mine to open with Admin rights when going through a shortcut. I'm going to the actual file within Program Files/Application/exe. and right clicking it to bring up the Properties.

Now within the Properties / Compatibiliy... I see the option checkbox for "Run this Program as an Administrator", but it appears greyed out. How do I get this option to become active, so I do not have to right click and select "Run as Admin" everytime I want to open the application?

I am the admin for the computer, it is just my home computer, built and installed by myself. Your help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing a solution.

Thanks for your time

Mike

Hi Mike,

You can manually enter this program into the Compatibility Mode list in the registry. It will then act like you clicked Run as administrator. See step 5 in this tutorial for how.

How to See and Change the List of Programs in Compatibility Mode in Vista

Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS