Solved Help Please! Cannot download updates

My goodness Richard, I am glad you are okay. I have my bookmarks etc backed up and ready when you are, I am so glad you are willing to walk me through all of this. Again my many thanks.

My Computer

Hello again!

Remove all CD, DVDs, or backup media from the computer. If I remember correctly, Acer Factory Restore is password protected. If you really can't remember your password, I will help you "reset" it, a subject I know a little too much about, though of course, I only ever practice on my own computers, and would never do anything illegal. :) Seriously, I would never break the law, or hack.

METHOD ONE:

If this fails, move straight onto Method 2.

1. Click “Start” menu.
  2. Click “Programs.”
  3. Click “Acer Recovery Management.”
  4. Click the “Restore” button on the bottom of the dialogue box that opens.
  5. Click “Restore System to Factory Default.”
  6. Click “Yes” in the warning dialogue box which asks if you wish to continue the recovery process.
  7. Click “Start” to restore the computer to the default factory settings.

METHOD TWO:

Press the Alt Key + F10 keys just after pressing the power (on/off) button. You should get to a screen where you can choose a Factory Restore.

If you have any problems, just ask!

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
Thank You, Thank You, Richard,

I have followed instructions, and computer is working great. Now I have installed AVG virus protection, Google Chrome, Firefox, Java (21), can you please tell me what else I should install and how often to use them to keep my comp running smoothly. Again thanks so much for your help.

My Computer

Thank You, Thank You, Richard,

I have followed instructions, and computer is working great. Now I have installed AVG virus protection, Google Chrome, Firefox, Java (21), can you please tell me what else I should install and how often to use them to keep my comp running smoothly. Again thanks so much for your help.

Will do. Sorry, I am so busy (again!) and cannot answer now, but I will in the next few days, Saturday at the very latest.

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Thats fine Richard, thanks, whenever you can.

Thanks for your understanding :) Fortunately, my school seem to have remembered that we are only 14, and that we are not even in our GCSE/O Level year. They like to boast that they are top of the league table (even though that is only because the two schools normally above them have pulled out of the table in disgust) They like to boast their 99.7% A*-A GCSE grades, and that all 42 application to Oxbridge got in. Personally, I could very easily do without the homeworks that work us into the dead of night, every night. That is why I am busy! Anyway, no homework tonight (or at least I did the only one I got at lunch break) SO (ask if you need any better instructions):

Your PC did not "turn itself inside out" by accident. I still believe that the cause may be a dying hard disk drive. If this is the case, all you can really do is make sure that all "mission critical" data is backed up, and that you don't rely on the hard disk. They will usually work fine for a little bit, but once they start dying, then all you can do is buy a new one. Symptons of a dying hard disk:

• Hard disk tests fail, and sectors go bad within a short time. Described below.
  • Odd noises, in particular, loud whirring, scraping, and ultimately, clunking. You need to listen for differences from when the PC was new.
  • PC goes very slow.
  • My Computer reports hard disk less filled (30gb loss, 100gb loss) every couple of days, but you cannot find any missing data.
  • Data goes missing. Registry data, file corruption, etc. etc. You may have failure in the last stage, looking at your initial post.
  • These last three need a hard disk replaced.
Run Seatools for Windows | Seagate

Run a SMART scan (probably not available) both short scans, and a long scan. Report to me success or failure. Failure of even on is bad!

Unfortunately, we have lost the chkdsk report in the Factory Restore. This is good in the end though, any errors reported now are most likely new from the last run, not very long ago. Run chkdsk /f /r from the Command Prompt.

How to access the chkdsk log: (credit: usasma)

CHKDSK LogFile:
Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Expand the Windows logs heading, then select the Application log file entry.
Double click on the Source column header.
Scroll down the list until you find the Chkdsk entry (wininit for Win7) (winlogon for XP).
Copy/paste the results into your next post.

Right, how to look after your PC!

Download and run Auslogics Disk Defragment every couple of months: Download Auslogics Disk Defrag for free

If you ever have a problem, you should check the system files for corruption. SFC will do this, but it is not very good at fixing them. Use sfc /scannow to scan, the yellow box at the top of the below tutorial to read the log, and any file that are not fixed by SFC, come back to this forum, and will locate a known good copy of it for you. This is preferable to trying to download a new file from a dll download website. The only exception is when a dll file is completely missing, then it is OK to download yourself.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html

Keeping your computer super secure. I would not necessarily expect you to follow all of these, as there are a lot, and so I have marked the very important one, though the other will help a bit.

Keep your antivirus updated, and enabled at all times. AVG is fine.

Make sure Java and Adobe products are always kept updated. Old versions contain vulnerabilities that may give hackers complete access to your PC, and you don't want that, especially if you use it to online bank and shop. To begin with, the hackers will just watch, so you won't always see the mouse move by itself! They are much more deadly than that! Often, all that happens is information stealing code is run, and you see nothing. Follow these precautions, and you will be fine. These exploit vulnerabilities in these programs, and Windows. Keep things updated!

Keep Windows Updated.

Download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The free edition is all you need. There is no need to actively keep it updated, as it only scans on demand. Just remember to update it before a scan. Ideally run it once a week. Quick scan is all you need. Malwarebytes

If you suspect a malware infection, you can do these simple things:

Download and run TFC to clean out all of the temp folders. http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe

It will kill all programs, and require a restart, so save and close your work beforehand!

Perform a MBAM quick scan.

If nothing turns up in the MBAM log, then you are probably clean. You will hear rumours about malware that cannot be detected. These are called rootkits, are quite rare, and almost always something will show up in the MBAM log. Nothing in MBAM log = not likely to have a rootkit.

If you are at all worried, please do ask someone. We are here to help. If you still think you have a malware problem (and the above steps will only remove about 70% of malware) then please do post your logs, and we will sort you out. Either post here, or if you want a professional malware removal website, then suggestion below. They will be hard and mechanical - lots of logs to see, big training centre, long wait times. Or you can see us here. We can sort you out! Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide - Geeks to Go Forums

If you still feel worried, follow the rest, though there is less need, and these are less important. Follow the above, and you will be fine.

Preventing Malware and Safe Computing - Geeks to Go Forums

MVPS Hosts file: Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File

McAfee Site Advisor: McAfee SiteAdvisor Software

Again, these are less important, and far too many. Keep everything updated, and you will be fine.

Any questions, more detail, problems, etc. Just come back to this thread!

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
For all those who are still having problems with this error, I found a solution to it. I noticed that ainav4 and I have used revo uninstaller recently.

On another forum, there is another user that is having the exact same problem and nobody will respond to theirs or mine for technical advise in this area. The only thing we have done in common is use the free version of revo uninstaller recently.

So I thought that maybe if I undo every action I did with revo uninstaller, I would be able to solve the problem. I used the backup manager from the revo uninstaller and found that I could restore my registry items, since in the options I checked the box saying to backup my registry items. Since that were the only things I could restore, I decided to restore all the registry items from all the programs that I uninstalled last time I used revo uninstaller. After this, I reboot/restart my pc and when it started again, I could hear the sound of the pc turning on. There was sound again! I was like OH YES! Everything was back. There was sound, I could do system restore and windows update and there no more "connection status: unknown, class not registered" on the network and sharing center. I don't think this problem is caused only by revo uninstaller, but by many programs that delete your registry items. Check for programs that delete them and try to undo the actions. Next time, I will not delete my registry items. I hope I helped anybody who reads this post, even though the last post was 232 days ago.

My Computer

Back