Help required....Won't boot

sweetypie747

Hi,

I am not sure what has happened but the following message appears when turning on my comp:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1) Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer
2) Choose your language settings and then click Next
3) Click 'Repair your Computer'.

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\windload.exe

Info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

----------------------

I have the disk but how do i boot from it? I am very worried i've broken my comp for good.

Thanks in advance and i really hope someone can help me!!

Sweetypie747

My Computer

Well, usually your BIOS would be set to boot from the CD-rom by default, try inserting the CD\DVD into the CD\DVD-rom and start the computer.

I should now display "press any key to boot from cd\dvd" after finishing counting the memory.
Then press "any" key to boot from the CD\DVD and select the option "repair".

If however this does not happen you have to enter BIOS (pressing DEL\F1\F10 depending on your computer) and go to boot options, and specify that booting from the CD\DVD-rom has a higher priority than the HDD\Harddisk-drive.
Then save the BIOS settings and reboot the computer and follow the "boot from cd\dvd"-procedure :-)

My Computer

Aww thank you! I have now managed to get that far. But when i repair it says it cannot find any back up or restore points but i know i had them. Any ideas?

My Computer

I am not familiar with restorepoints though (never seen the use of them) But if it says there are no restorepoints avaliable I would guess you have to reinstall from scratch :/

My Computer

So in other words it's asking you to install windows XP and then upgrade to vista I would guess.

How did you install vista the first time ? :-)

My Computer

That's the bad thing about the upgrade packs :(

You could probably borrow a XP copy or something because you have to enter the Vista CD-key anyway, so it will be licenced on that key :-)

My Computer

Well... actually there is a beautiful loophole in the upgrade disk but you will have to do a clean install.

1) boot from the Vista install disk and select "custom" install (should be your only choice since "upgrade" wont be available). This will perform a clean install. Those using this option should be prepared to reload all your apps and back up all data, etc. first.

2) DO NOT enter your product code... proceed with install

3) After install is complete you will be running Vista on a 30-day trial version. Now reinsert the Vista install disk (with Vista already running, not "boot up" like above) and when the install menu pops up select UPGRADE. Enter your product code. Go read a book or watch while the upgrade proceeds.

4) Enjoy your fully activated Vista :D

My Computer

Back