How can I transfer a program from one computer to another please?

PAB

Good evening,

I have a program that I use quite a lot on an old laptop that I would some how like to transfer to my new laptop.
It is the full version but I don't have the original disc or serial key for the software any more. I don't want anything else from the old laptop because it is going to laptop heaven, I just want this one program along with its settings.
Can anyone suggest a way of doing this please.
I did think maybe of some way of backing up that particular program or something. I have searched the Net but I can't seem to get a definative answer.
It is from Vista to Vista by the way.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

My Computer

If the programs is still supported/published contact the developers. Usually they will help out if they have a record of your registration. If not, search. Sometimes when a program is abandoned they will publish a universal key.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
Transferring an application from one computer to another is not a simple thing and is rarely even attempted. This being a commercial application with a key complicates things. There is a commercial application that claims to be able to do this but I have no experience with it. If at all possible this is best avoided.

My Computer

Most software installed on windows cannot be transferred to another computer by copying the files. Most programs create numerous registry entries and configuration files. More thank likely it will have to be reinstalled. Also keep in mind that you probably only have a license for one computer and therefore can legally only have it on one computer at a time.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Most software installed on windows cannot be transferred to another computer by copying the files. Most programs create numerous registry entries and configuration files. More thank likely it will have to be reinstalled. Also keep in mind that you probably only have a license for one computer and therefore can legally only have it on one computer at a time.

I think at one time there was a utility that attempted migrating applications with registry changes, to another drive letter. It went away I'm sure due to complications in such a task. And that was before xml settings and Roaming AppData and all the mix of old and new style settings we have now. I don't remember the name of it. A good trivia question. :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT