Solved How resume download works in internet explorer?

Stuckfree

Sometime I can resume download from the same website after next day or 2 days later but longer than that and sometime just after pause the download can't resume in internet explorer.

Regard,
Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    2 G
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    2 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD
    Sound Card
    REALTEK
    Monitor(s) Displays
The server you are downloading from has to support the Resume feature. The time limit is likely to do with how long that server holds onto files showing the state of the download. Likely it varies depending on how much the server want to reuse the disk space.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
The server you are downloading from has to support the Resume feature. The time limit is likely to do with how long that server holds onto files showing the state of the download. Likely it varies depending on how much the server want to reuse the disk space.

Hi MilesAhead,
Ah It has to do with the server configuration, and what program does a server use to configure this setting do you know?

Likely it varies depending on how much the server want to reuse the disk space
I thought the file already stored in the server what having to do with resuming download use hard disk space?

Regard,
Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    2 G
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    2 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD
    Sound Card
    REALTEK
    Monitor(s) Displays
Hi MilesAhead,
Ah It has to do with the server configuration, and what program does a server use to configure this setting do you know?

I have no idea. Unless you are the SysAdmin in the server how would you access it anyway?

Likely it varies depending on how much the server want to reuse the disk space
I thought the file already stored in the server what having to do with resuming download use hard disk space?

The file you are downloading is stored. But there must be some file or database with the state of each download. Anything stored uses space. If you quit a download in the middle and go away for 10 years I wouldn't expect the server to remember the state of your download when you come back to resume it.

edit: the only possibility I can think of where you could access the info is if it was kept in a cookie on your machine.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
I believe that data related to the state of a download is kept by the download manager. It could be stored wherever and however the developer chooses. But not all servers support resuming downloads. It all depends on the server software and how it is configured. But all that is academic as you have no control over the server.

My Computer

I believe that data related to the state of a download is kept by the download manager. It could be stored wherever and however the developer chooses. But not all servers support resuming downloads. It all depends on the server software and how it is configured. But all that is academic as you have no control over the server.

That's more likely. It probably sends a request to seek into the file to resume at the next bite or whatnot.
In any case, it's moot.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G

Hi LMiller7,
I believe that data related to the state of a download is kept by the download manager
I thought download manager it was use for client machine whoever want to resume download files.

LMiller7,Do you know what program does a server use to configure this setting beside download manager?

Regard,
Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    2 G
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    2 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD
    Sound Card
    REALTEK
    Monitor(s) Displays
Hi LMiller7,
I believe that data related to the state of a download is kept by the download manager
I thought download manager it was use for client machine whoever want to resume download files.

LMiller7,Do you know what program does a server use to configure this setting beside download manager?

Regard,
Thanks.

Actually, come to think of it, all the download manage needs to manage is the location of the download. If the download is less than the size of the file on the server, it's not complete. The download manager then just requests the download start at the next byte of the file. Also you have to remember not everything is Windows. Many web sites run Apache.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G

The download manage is in your computer. It is usually a part of your browser but there are alternatives.

Most servers will be running a server version of Windows or some form of Linux of which there are many, plus a few others. There is a wide variety of applications the server may be using to provide downloadable files, Apache being a common one. But all of this is academic. You have zero control and zero influence over this.

My Computer

The download manage is in your computer. It is usually a part of your browser but there are alternatives.

Most servers will be running a server version of Windows or some form of Linux of which there are many, plus a few others. There is a wide variety of applications the server may be using to provide downloadable files, Apache being a common one. But all of this is academic. You have zero control and zero influence over this.

Hi LMiller7,
The download manage is in your computer. It is usually a part of your browser
I use internet explorer only,so that means internet explorer is one of the download manager?And if I have firefox installed in my computer is another download manager?And also Apache is another of download manager?

Is download manager is any apps that let your computer to download files from the internet is consider download manager?

Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    2 G
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    2 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD
    Sound Card
    REALTEK
    Monitor(s) Displays
Actually, come to think of it, all the download manage needs to manage is the location of the download. If the download is less than the size of the file on the server, it's not complete. The download manager then just requests the download start at the next byte of the file. Also you have to remember not everything is Windows. Many web sites run Apache.

Hi MilesAhead,
Are you explanaining that download manager check if a files is not complete downloaded it will resume to the next byte of the file if a client computer ask the server for the same file?

Regard.
Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    2 G
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    2 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD
    Sound Card
    REALTEK
    Monitor(s) Displays
Hi MilesAhead,
Are you explanaining that download manager check if a files is not complete downloaded it will resume to the next byte of the file if a client computer ask the server for the same file?

Regard.
Thanks.

If you use the same download manager to download the same file from the same server usually it will ask you to resume or not with a dialog box.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT