How to prevent a regular / limited user from installing USB driver?

Stuckfree

How to prevent a regular / limited user from installing USB driver?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    2 G
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    2 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD
    Sound Card
    REALTEK
    Monitor(s) Displays

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 5450
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps
Hi Madhur B ,

Thanks for the link,
The link information is good however is related on how to enable a limited users to install USB or any othere devices drivers, but what i want is to prevent a regular / limited user from installing USB driver?

I am not sure about a limited / regular user account cannot install external devices driver by default, however each time when i installed a USB driver from an administrator account and then log off and log on to a limited / regular user account i can access to USB devices. My point is prevent a limited / regular from accessing an external devices such as: USB, ect..

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    2 G
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    2 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD
    Sound Card
    REALTEK
    Monitor(s) Displays

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 5450
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps
Hi Madhur B ,
That mean i need to format all my USB drive with NTFS format otherwise won't work. Is there any other method without the need to format all USB format to NTFS format?

Oh, by the way the link was a good solution.
Thanks

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    2 G
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    2 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD
    Sound Card
    REALTEK
    Monitor(s) Displays
Try this: start menu > control panel > administrative tools > Local security policy. On that window under local policies select security options. Find and double click on User account control: behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users. In the drop down change to automatically deny elevation requests.

I am not sure how much that will help because many drivers for USB devices don't require user interaction for installation. There are 3rd party tools that prevent users from making permanent system changes except for someone who knows how to log into the system bypassing the software. See this: Windows SteadyState - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This wiki is about tools that microsoft no longer has available however there are alternatives listed such as deep freeze. You can probably still find a download for windows steady state through file sharing sites just keep in mind that such files can be contaminated with viruses. Keep in mind that if you go this route documents stored on such protected drives won't be saved so you might want to have an alternative hard drive or partition that is unprotected by the software for storing documents. I recommend that you perform a new install when you set it up and that you if possible test the software on a system that you aren't using. The college that I went to used deep freeze on publicly available systems and any changes that we made where wiped out upon reboot.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Hi townsbg,

Because many drivers for USB devices don't require user interaction for installation.
That's why even though i didn't install any USB driver in an administrator account and still be able to install USB driver in a regular / limited user account after plugged in USB.

So there's no solution that you know to prevent regular / limited from installing driver?

Couldn't find User account control in start menu > control panel > administrative tools > Local security policy>local policies >security options

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    2 G
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    2 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD
    Sound Card
    REALTEK
    Monitor(s) Displays
You didn't install the drivers rather they where installed when windows was installed. All that windows does is select the most appropriate driver for the device and as far as I know there is no way to stop it. Depending upon your device you might have the option of disabling USB ports on the BIOS settings (see your manual).

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
Hi townsbg ,

You didn't install the drivers rather they where installed when windows was installed.
But each time when i log on to a regular / limited user account and plug in the USB to pop-up in taskbar a message: A new device is installing or something like thing, can't remember what exact message it is.

Depending upon your device you might have the option of disabling USB ports on the BIOS settings (see your manual).

However, is this solution prevent no just a regular / limited user account also among all others users including an administrator account right?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    2 G
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    2 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD
    Sound Card
    REALTEK
    Monitor(s) Displays
Hi townsbg ,

But each when i plug in the USB into my computer to pop-up a message in the taskbar saying is installing a driver.

you might have the option of disabling USB ports on the BIOS settings (see your manual).

This solution, may affect all users account too including the administrator right?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    2 G
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    2 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD
    Sound Card
    REALTEK
    Monitor(s) Displays
Disabling the ports would affect everyone however you would be able to enable it when needed. When windows says that it is installing a driver it is selecting the best driver among those already on your computer and matching it to your device so essentially all it is doing is setting up windows to use the device. Think about this: if the driver isn't already on your computer then you would either need to allow windows to connect to the internet to download it or install it from an executable that you either downloaded from the internet or what comes on a cd. Now user account control should prompt for a password when installing from an executable or a cd however I don't know of a way to stop windows from setting up a driver that is already there.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
Back