I'm having trouble accessing windows defender

kreed614

When I click on the windows defender icon I am prompted with this pop up (see attachment). It says to contact the administrator, but I am the administrator. I am having similar problems when deleting programs. Hopefully what ever the solution to this problem is will fix my other problems.

Attachments

• windows defender screen shot.jpg
    windows defender screen shot.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 19

My Computer

Hi kreed614,
Let us try to uninstall a program in safe mode with networking and check if it wokrs. Please refer following link to get into safe mode with networking: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/123496-safe-mode.html

In order to uninstall a program in Safe mode, we need to install SafeMSI. Use the following link to download and install SafeMSI: JSI Tip 9233. SafeMSI.exe freeware starts Windows Installer in Safe Mode.
Now, try to uninstall any program now.

Also, we can run a scan on the computer to check for virus or spyware. Restart the computer to normal mode. Refer the link to download Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.
Microsoft Security Essentials: |MG| Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 4.1.0522.0 Download
Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer
Download and install the programs, Run a complete scan using both the software’s.

Refer following link for more information: this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in affect on - Microsoft Community

Kindly let me know the results.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 5450
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps
I put my computer in safe mode but when I tried to uninstall some programs nothing happened when I right clicked. I ran the anitvirus that you suggested and it found some things that it had to repair. I still cannot get into windows defender though. I have messed with the security settings but I haven't been able to find the setting that allows me to access windows defender.

My Computer

Welcome
Defender may be a separate issue from the others. If you are using Micorosoft Security Essentials, you are not suppose to use Defender.
If the above is not your situation, try an SFC to see if we can locate the problem.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html
If the problem has just started a system restore will most certainly solve your problem.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/76905-system-restore-how.html
If possible go back a week before the problem.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam