Solved installing Irfanview

Messaline

Hi,

I am wondering if this is a Vista problem.

I am trying to install Irfanview to my computer and it won't install. There is a part in th installation process that asks me if I want to use Irfanview folder or User's Application Data folder (preferred for Windows 7 and Vista), it says. I prefer the Irfanview folder but I tried both and neither one will accept. Why single out Windows 7 and Vista, I wonder, unless they are giving problems. Does anyone know?

Then I get a box that says 'Can't create Destination directory. Please check your write permissions and system policies. Try to create the Destination folder manually and restart.'

What does all this mean? How would I check write permissions and system policies? Should I be in Administrator mode perhaps? If not, then what?
How do I create a Destination manually?

So how do I install this? Thanks for any help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv9810us Notebook laptop

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
OK, that worked! I should have been in Administrator mode.

Now, what are these irfanview_plugins_433_setup.exe ? Do I need them?

Thanks for the help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
Also, now that I have Irfanview, what exactly can I do with it? It was my intention to use it somehow in connection with my cell phone in order to manupulate the photos I take with my cell phone and transfer the photos to my computer and use irfanview to play with them.

Is this possible? If so, how do I learn more about it?

Thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
Install the plugins the same way.

"Play" with the photos is pretty vague. If you want to do layers then get something like Gimp, Paint.NET etc..

Search "Irfanview Tutorial" and you'll get some hits. It's my understanding anything you can do with Photoshop you can do using Gimp. I think it can import many of the PS plugins. Only Gimp is free. If you want to size pictures or change formats you can do it with free apps like Irfanview, Photofiltre, XNView etc.. Complicated editing try Gimp or Paint.NET

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT