Internet resources -wasted?

Euphoric

Hi, I use Road Runner as my ISP, which is supposed to have ~ 5mb/s down (not sure about up speed). Whenever I begin a download, my download speed usually begins at around 1.5-2.0 mb/s (assuming the server will offer that much bandwidth), but within about 2 seconds it falls to around 500-700 kb/s.

I've had this issue both on windows xp and windows vista (I dual boot). I'm using an on board network adapter (mobo is EVGA 680i). Also, I have a Linksys Wireless G router.

Also, I decided to check my resource monitor in vista and it shows under my Network tab that I'm consuming a constant 5-6 mb/s. I looked at the processes that it shows me downloading from (steam, EA download manager), and the combined total of my download speed is ~750 kb/s.

I'm completely lost and irritated with this problem. Whenever I play Crysis online, my ping is way above everybody else's. Whenever I to play Lost Planet Online (yeah yeah it's a bad port >.>) I constantly get complaints that I'm lagging, and as a result I get kills that I don't deserve.

I don't think that this is a problem with Vista because I have experienced issues on both Vista AND XP. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them, I really don't know what to do. (also if there is any other information that I can give, please let me know ^^)

Last edited:

My Computer

Sure :)

212198846.png

Judging by the outcome...I have a good connection, my download speeds just don't seem to utilize the potential for some reason.

Oh, and IDK if this will help, but I did a second test with a sever that was farther away:

212199588.png

My Computer

Hey thanks for the reply. Neither of these fixed my problem :(

But something that I did learn from it, the second link that no effect what so ever. I brought my limit down to 0% (which should at least increase my speed by 20%), but there was no increase. I'm not sure if this narrows down what could be going wrong, but one again, I appreciate the help :)

...just to add, even though it didn't fix my issue, I did notice that my connection runs fastest with auto tuning disabled, but the speed is steadier when it is set to high.

My Computer

Back