Reaper414

Hello, my name is Gavin and I am pretty good with computers, I have done a lot trying to remedy this situation and have to no success. My girlfriends computer has not been able to be used in almost two years. She thought a virus was keeping it from booting... I plugged my power supply into the machine and it booted right up. Now, because it has been almost two years since she has used the machine she has long forgotten her password and never made a reset-disk. Sure, I could easily do a full factory restore, but there are files on the machine she would like. And yea I could go buy an adapter and hook her hard drive up to my machine as an external to save the files to my machine, but I want to do this without spending money.

I have booted up into recovery to bring up cmd and used the
net user administrator /active:yes

but still do not have the administrator account show up when i boot up into safe mode so then i tried adding a new account
net user gavin /add
and also tried
net user gavin password /add
and both got an error message saying they were added but not to the local user group.

Then I tried changing her account password but said her account could not be found so say owner is her account then

net user owner password
i get command completed successfully but when i try to login with the new password it does not work....

I have tried a bunch of **** and im at my whits end lol, can someone please give me some help here. I would be so appreciative.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp G60
Welcome
You must understand that members of the Forum must exercise particular care when advising others with password questions. Since you have shown that you do know how to access the information, but at a small cost, I see know harm on suggesting a way that would not cost and not involve accessing using the password. I think that if you install Ubuntu you will be able to acess and back up the important documents.
How To Back Up Data From Computer That Won't Boot
I wish you luck with your attempt.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Thank you for your post. I was really hoping to just reset her password. Well... with ubuntu I should be able to edit files and or delete files and be able to do something... idk I am a little rusty with backdooring so I will look into it. thank you so much for your quick response.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hp G60
If you private message me I will tell you how to remove her password

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
Back