Solved Messenger Contacts Layout

Verecoth

Hi, not sure if there's another thread with this question but I didn't see one so here it is. I just downloaded and installed the latest version of Window Live Messenger and the contact list has me frustrated. I've gotten used to the layout being a certain way over the last several years and it's messing me up severely with how it is now.

The problem is this; before now, my contacts have always been displayed in a list pressed against the left side of the page. Now, they are arranged in a grid pattern which makes it more difficult for me to find a contact at a glance. Admittedly, it's only a second or two to find the contact I'm looking for, but it still annoys me.

Is there any way to change it to the list format again? I haven't been able to find that control anywhere.

By the way, the version of messenger I'm talking about is 15.4.3555.308

My Computer

Hi and welcome to Vista Forums.

click on Tools -> Options -> Contacts and set the organize contacts by "online status" attached are pictures of what i'm talking about. you may also un-select the options in more settings if you do not like them.

HTH :)

Attachments

• msn1.jpg
    msn1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 27
  • msn2.png
    msn2.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 24

My Computer

No, that's not what I want. I want my contacts arranged solely by status in a single list against the left side of the window, but they are instead in a grid pattern that reads left to right in a grid pattern. How do I change it to the list?

My Computer

No, that's not what I want. I want my contacts arranged solely by status in a single list against the left side of the window, but they are instead in a grid pattern that reads left to right in a grid pattern. How do I change it to the list?

see that small icon there? click on switch to compact view

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    31.1 KB · Views: 21

My Computer

I already did that, but my contacts are still listed in a grid pattern, running from right to left. I want a single list down the left hand side as it used to be in the previous version of messenger. One list, on the left.

I don't want this:

X X X X
X X X X

I want this:

X
X
X
X

My Computer

I already did that, but my contacts are still listed in a grid pattern, running from right to left. I want a single list down the left hand side as it used to be in the previous version of messenger. One list, on the left.

I don't want this:

X X X X
X X X X

I want this:

X
X
X
X

like this?
Ps. a screenshot of how your msn looks would be helpful. You may rub off the email ids like i've done.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 19

My Computer

you have to un-select all the options in under "more settings" and set organize contacts by: online status

btw, i just noticed, you have your messenger maximized which is why your contacts are appearing

xxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxx

you have to make the messenger box a little squeezed like mine in order to see them that way. otherwise, this version of messenger does not work like the old one :(

anyway, mark the thread solved once youre done :)

take care

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    48.5 KB · Views: 18

My Computer

Back