Solved Mysterious problem in updating to SP2

IceLogic

Hello!

I run a Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP1 system, and due to a recent game purchase's requirements, I've been trying to upgrade to SP2. I downloaded the standalone Vista x64 installer and tried to install from it, but it is unsuccessful. It successfully creates a restore point, and then begins "downloading windows6.0-kb948465-X64.cab". It gets approximately 60% through the progress bar for this, before informing me that "installation was not successful", providing me with no further error code.

I ran the update readiness tool, but it appeared to be stuck at 0%, so I left it on overnight to be greeted by an "installation successful" screen in the morning. I took this to mean that the tool had done its job, but the same thing happened.

I've tried to install multiple times in the normal Vista environment and once in Safe Mode with networking enabled, but each time it has failed at the precise same stage. Does anybody have any ideas what could be the matter?

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I do quite a few posts trying to help others and I think that the update problem is the most common. I would take my time, try each suggestion, reboot and then try to install. One should work. Make a system restore point, first. In the event of a problem you can use system restore to return to good times.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
My problem's been solved in an odd way! Although both purport to be standalone installers for Vista x64 SP2 and both share the same filename, there appear to be two different SP2 installer files available which go by the same description - the only difference being one is ~700MB and one is ~500MB. I was trying to use the 700MB version, and it appears that using the 500MB version has resolved my problems. I'm adding to your rep (if I can) anyway, richc46, for providing those useful resources. Sorry for wasting your time with something that turned out to be my own mistake!

My Computer

No problem. Just dont forget about Vista Forums if you have another problems.

Ty for the kind words and rep.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays