Solved NET framework

Powell

Hello Good People With All The Answers:

I have a couple of questions regarding installed apps. Do I require Visual C++ redistributable or NET framework for Vista to function properly or are these simply for developers? If I don't require them I will quit installing all the updates and service packs for them.
Thanks in advance for your replies which I know will answer my questions.

Regards
Powell Lucas

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Hello Powell!

As far as I am aware (I may be wrong, but I am pretty certain that I am correct :p), the C++ redistributables are required for Windows to function, and the .net framework is required for a few odd and slightly sideline parts of Windows to work. This is why you can never quite uninstall them. If you try, the majority of it is removed, but a few core parts are left over for Windows to function. There is no way to uninstall these final parts. Not one way (apart from deleting the files over a reboot, after removing Windows Resource Protection from them, and anyone who does that deserves whatever they get...)

However, here is some information which I do know:

If you are being offered updates through Windows Update for these products, it means that you do have them installed. To remain secure, you MUST install these updates. Failure to do so will leave an old and insecure version of these products on your machine, which only leads to one of very many possible bad things (viruses, trojans, keyloggers, identity theft, elevation of privilege, even a remote backdoor, etc. etc.) These things exist. To protect yourself, you MUST install all non-optional updates from Microsoft through Windows Update. They are being sent to protect you, please don't hide or ignore them!

redistributables are packages for clients for you to have installed, and are not the developer packages. Programs which required them (most programs require one or the other) install them. So, if you have these products installed, and you didn't manually install them, it means that some program has, ergo uninstalling them will break that program!

So, my advice would be to leave well alone, and keep on installing the updates (and just some random snippets of information, although the updates for those pacakges are usually about 11.5MB, the developer package security updates often reach multiple hundreds of MB, and .net 4.5 looks to contain full .zip support - finally!, although you will struggle to find online documentation for that at the moment)

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
Hi fellow Vista users!..After 12 frustrating days of trying to install Security update for M'soft .NET framework 4, I've managed to 'fix' this prob. I have Vista business[that part is not important] 32 bit w.
IE as my browser. Now, I am NOT tech savvy by any means; quite the

opposite. What it is, is that update is being offered to users who may NOT need it..as in my case. I already had .NET f'work 3.5 SP1 on my computer & naturally thought I needed .NET 4. Not so at all! I made the mistake of downloading .NET 4 user profile & .NET 4 extender.

Thinking that I would now be able to install that Windows update.

Wrong! After un-installing those 2 d'loads & anything related to .NET 4, I no longer am asked to d'load that Security update. I hope I can help at least one person with this vexed prob. 'Bye, & kind regards from Aussie..to all.....

My Computer

Back