Outpost Pro 2008 x64

Redviper

Banned
Is anyone using it, and if so what do you think of it? I'm currently using the FW component that comes with KIS 7, but would like something more feature rich. I had used the 32bit version for years and noticed that it became increasing difficult to configure and "in your face."

My Computer

I have used both.
I used the Outpost Pro 2008 (x64) when it was released,there were many Bugs with that release,dunno how the current version is.
KIS 7 is much more stable i feel and DOES the job.the FW component though simple ,with the right configuration can match Outpost.It does consume bit more resources then OP though.

If you bought KIS 7 and are thinking of buying Outpost i say stick to KIS 7.
If you wanna try out something free then try "Comodo FW X64".Have been really impressed with it to say the least.Am using it currently and so far ( around 3 weeks i guess) it has been working fine,hardly any issues.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
    XBOX 360 Controller | Vista X64 | Simpledrive 500GB
Thanks for the reply, Asky. As near as I can tell the KIS FW is no where near as configuarable, user friendly or as expansive as OP 2008. After all, both companies have there specialties. I wouldn't buy the OP security suite expecting top-tier virus protection. :D

So far I've been able to find one hard review on OP, and it wasn't very good, but it was also posted before the last patch which I think was 12/5. I'll wait for more reviews, and opinions, before I pull the trigger.

My Computer

Yeah i know when OP works well theres no match for it,but the newer versions have been Disappointing to say the least.With every new version you expect most of the Bugs to be ironed out.Unfortunately with Agnitum its going the other way :( . I really hope they improve and match the quality of say OP 4.0 .

Maybe they'll give us a new year surprise who knows :)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
Personally, I feel that a good hardware firewall/router is a much better solution than messing around with software firewalls. A good hardware firewall is extremely secure, and isn't something that will bog down your computer. Plus, hardware firewalls are usually routers that will allow you to have multiple computers on your broadband connection. Even if you only have one computer, you never know when a friend/relative might drop by, right?

Honestly, there are only three reasons that I can think of to desire a software firewall:
1. You're worried about outbound connections.
2. You're easily amused and like seeing popups every time you get some network traffic.
3. You use dial-up.

If #1 is the case, you're probably installing riské software that contains spywares, malwares, worms, etc etc. Shame on you!
If #2 is the case... well... yeah, that's understandable. Pretty network graphs can keep me amused for hours on end.
If #3 is the case, it sucks to be you!!! Call your telco/cableco and tell them to join the 90's!!

Peace.

My Computer

I decided to give it a try, and after 4-days I must say it's been an easy purchase. The install went without a hitch and OP was even smart enough to sense my KIS install and tailor itself based on active KIS components. It's running in auto-learn now and OP has generated two popups, both related to entertainment mode for games.

I've experienced no performance issues, failures or compatibility problems so far. I tend to prefer a multi-layered approach to security, considering the ever-evolving nature of today's threats and sheer ferocity of the environment.

Edit: I'm also running a Belkin wireless 108G MIMO router for good measure. ;)

Last edited:

My Computer

^Glad to hear its working fine for you.
But do ya have both KIS and OP installed ? That is definately not recommended.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
^Glad to hear its working fine for you.
But do ya have both KIS and OP installed ? That is definately not recommended.

Hey Asky! The KIS firewall was deactivated before I installed OP. This seemed like the reasonable thing. Do you think I still have a problem?

My Computer

hmm if its Deactivated then it shouldnt be a problem and since you arent having any then i guess its fine.
I guess you have kept KIS installed because of the AV ?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
NOD32 is a little Light-weight,thats all but they are pretty much even.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop