Solved problem updating possibly due to wireless broadband

nirvana1x

having troubles trying to update vista home premium 32 bit.
using wireless broadband, which occasionally drops out when downloading files.
had just reinstalled vista, when updating, the download hangs due to connection problems (wireless is not reliable).
this keeps the update hanging,
At this point need to stop the update and restart it, same problem happens, it hangs and does not continue further into the update.
does the updater allow for broken connections, or do the files which have not been fully downloaded stay in the system, causing problems when it installs.
decided to download the large vista SP2 file , which when using wireless broadband is best done using a download utility e.g.
" free download manager" ,
it managed to download the file, with 3 broken connections, when running the file there were errors and could not install, so my guess is that downloading from Microsoft using these utilities is not allowed.
does anyone know if windows update can correctly download and install the updates, if the connection drops, or do the corrupt files stay in the downloaded folder tricking the updater into thinking it has been downloaded, causing the install to fail ?

also is it possible to download the large SP2 files from the site, using a download manager, that can continue downloads after a broken connection ?

My Computer

Hello if there is no connection or it drops as you say then the download will stop and you will have error's.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    a6530f Desktop
    CPU
    HP-PAVILION
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra3)
    Memory
    8 Gigs of Ram/DDR2 PC2-6400 MB/sec
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Sound Card
    Intergrated Realtex ALC888S Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W40 series widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    1 640 GB Sata transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec speed: 7200 RPM
    PSU
    300W
    Case
    Mid-Size ATX
    Keyboard
    HP Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
    Other Info
    Processor: AMD Phenom X3 8450 Operating speed: Up to 2.1 GHz, Number of cores: 3, Socket: AM2+, Bus speed: 3600 MHz HT3 (clocked down to 2000 MHz)

Modem: 56K WinModem/

Supermulti: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X Ram (+/-)R DL Lightscribe SATA Drive

Menory Card Reader: 15-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader

Media Drive
Hi,
Americancritic is correct if connection drops, errors will/could occur.
If your'e worried about any errors on updates Go to your Windows Update box >> Click on 'View Update History", you can then see which updates failed including if SP2 was successful.
Below are a few links that should be of interest, including using computer wireless.
Hope it is of some help.

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack
My broadband connection keeps dropping | Help | BT.com Help
How to Increase Wireless Receiver Signal Strength | eHow.com

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800 + 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
    HP G56 Laptop Win 7 64bit. 4Gb Ram DDR2's. Hitachi 450Gb Hard Drive. Pentium(R) Duel-Core CPU.
Thanks for the information, thought the files were corrupted,
using a dongle usb type of 3g mobile broadband, not a wireless system in which a base is connected to adsl e.t.c.
funny thing is had to reinstall vista due to having many problems trying to update kaspersky, assumed a clean install of vista would resolve any clash kaspersky may have with other programs.
in the end, finally found that updated files were being corrupted, which made the download start over, and keep looping up to the same file,
not %100 certain if this is true,
but as i was able to see the files being downloaded in the detailed reports list, a corrupt file gets flagged, download restarts and just keeps looping to the same file.
only when manually deleting that file manually did the update continue on when restarting the update.
this is why i assumed vista update may have a similar issue if connections were interrupted.

shame the updater's are not programed to overwrite corrupted files.

never had this problem using norton.
sorted out the problem with kaspersky, which was to purchase norton, i know it was a waste of money, but the 3 days of time wasted, wasn't worth it.

now on the 4th day and need to sort out Vista.

strange the program developers don,t sort out the issue, so updates can continue when updating if there was a connection problem , wireless market is increasing.

there are over 30 failed installs in the vista update list, downloaded a few manually,

do all the update files need to be installed for vista to be recognized as SP2, or does vista SP2 download still need to be installed ?

when will there be a millennium, when computers are actually user friendly ???

Thanks.

My Computer

Hello I have Kaspersky my self for 3 years now, Kaspersky does not go well with any other security system. So you can only have Kaspersky because it clashs with all other internet security, malwarebytes is fine with Kaspersky. If you have to keep one of course I would go with Kaspersky.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    a6530f Desktop
    CPU
    HP-PAVILION
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra3)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W40 series widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W
    Case
    Mid-Size ATX
    Keyboard
    HP Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Other Info
    Processor: AMD Phenom X3 8450 Operating speed: Up to 2.1 GHz, Number of cores: 3, Socket: AM2+, Bus speed: 3600 MHz HT3 (clocked down to 2000 MHz)

Media Drive
Sounds as though you have been busy with files & updates plus kaspersky!
Unfortunately some of the security system softwares sometimes don't like downloads or visa versa.
I would slowly persevere with the downloads, plus SP2, sent you info right?
Set your windows updates to inform you when new ones available, so YOU choose if or not to update.
Usually of course you choose yes, but it does let you see what is going in.
It might be an idea at intervals to make yourself a few restore points for such occasions.

The wireless market is increasing and will continue to do so. Developers will I'm sure continue to increase our 'user friendly' approach to computing.
Which millennium?
Any further queries please contact us.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
    HP G56 Laptop Win 7 64bit. 4Gb Ram DDR2's. Hitachi 450Gb Hard Drive. Pentium(R) Duel-Core CPU.
Hi There,
With your recent history of Windows Updates & downloads, I thought I should pass on a little news I heard.
The new updates, scheduled for TUESDAY APRIL 12th. are seventeen (17) ! nine (9) critical, eight (8) important.
So I would make sure that your update page is set where it has :_ Important updates >> Click & change to >>
' Check for updates but let me choose whether ti download and install them' >>CLICK ..OK .
Just thought it might save trouble later >> like Tuesday night>>LoL!
Cheers.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
Now have a problem where i can't turn the windows update on.
get a message that states the service is not running.
turned on the service in the services window and restarted.
still can not turn on update on,
do not intend to reinstall vista, spent many hours installing and setting up other programs.
assumed there would be a repair option when booting with the dvd.
the only repair option is problems with starting up windows, no option similar to the one in XP.

gave the start repair a go, even this would not work, due to some message stating a device like a camera e.t.c. is connected.
have no such device connected. only keyboard and mouse.

have been in touch with microsoft help,
recommended to download the large SP2 file,
the problem is, when running the SP2 update it stops, with an error message.

tried to run the update ready tool, this came up with an error message and would not run.

these files must also have been corrupted when downloading.
have downloaded some files previously using a download manager that allows broken connections, without problems, cant understand why some work and others don't.

with the price of wireless broadband data, trying to repeat the download many times gets pricey.
Is it possible to buy a SP2 update disc ?

by the way, had found other users had a similar problem when using the wireless dongle type of broadband with kaspersky.
found this post.
http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/ind...hp/t185653.html

kaspersky stops when trying to download the rescdmgr.ppl file, the update restarts and keeps looping.

even when trying to download the rescdmgr.ppl file directly from the website it can not be downloaded.
http://dnl-06.geo.kaspersky.com/AutoPatche...v11/11.0.1.400/ , then try to download the rescdmgr.ppl in the list.

the service i am using is on the three network in Australia.
have not had any responses from kaspersky or forums so far.

My Computer

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
Hello

Yes Kaspersky can sometimes be a pain, and what I did was right click the kaspersky icon in the bottom right hand corner and turn off or pause it until I was finished do certain downlonds then restarted and had no problems after that.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    a6530f Desktop
    CPU
    HP-PAVILION
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra3)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W40 series widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W
    Case
    Mid-Size ATX
    Keyboard
    HP Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Other Info

Media Drive
re- installed vista, finally had success when updating.
for some reason there must have been a problem the last time i reinstalled vista.
the updater only allowed, check for updates once, after this it grayed out and would not allow a recheck after installing x amount of updates.
must have been corrupted due to dust e.t.c. on the disc.
the second install the updater didn't even allow an update.
now its o.k., what a nightmare.

managed to update vista, but the computer properties tab still states its SP1, is this normal, or does SP2 still need to be installed ?
the VISTA SP2 ready tool, plus the vista SP2.exe file are corrupted, too large for a reliable download using wireless broadband.

believe it or not Kaspersky finally updated, the folders that were created while downloading, in which contained the file causing the problem, now don't even exist,
these were situated in the C:\ProgramData\Kaspersky Lab\AVP11\Data\Updater\Temporary Files\temporaryFolder\AutoPatches\kav11- folder in which now only exists folders named
"11.0.2.556" and "ForDiff"
previously there were 2 other folders 11/11.0.1.400 and the other name forgotten, these must have been older versions of kaspersky, as it's similar to be the build number.
these other folders were also being updated, and the previous database was much larger.

Just checked if it was possible to download the rescdmgr.ppl file from the website, at the previous address posted earlier, now the website is not found, hopefully kasperky sorted it out, as a message was posted to support.
hopefully this is why the updater now finally worked.

problem sorted after 6 days, a very long update.

:D

My Computer

Hello and we hope your as happy as the little smily face on your last post..

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    a6530f Desktop
    CPU
    HP-PAVILION
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra3)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W40 series widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W
    Case
    Mid-Size ATX
    Keyboard
    HP Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Other Info

Media Drive
Finally!! Well done for getting the job done.
If you find a buddy with good connections, it would still be worth downloading SP2 from microsoft onto cd & then loading onto yours. Without hassle of possible 'dropout'.
You can just hang onto it also, just in case. As we don't know what surprises are in store for us down the line?
Happy Computing.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
Will try to get hold of the SP2 update.

Not happy that this mess was caused by using kaspersky, have not received a reply from support, if the cause was that it tried to update obsolete databases, for older versions.
can not understand ,that when purchasing a boxed product, that it would include older versions of the database.

this would be like Vista trying to update XP files.

My Computer

In situations like this it is difficult. I'm sure kaspersky didn't send this out knowingly? Mistakes are made when mass production of software is concerned.
However, that does not excuse them for not returning your inquiry, and is bad practice.
Things like this invariably down to human error? Or a company does not like to admit that maybe a mistake had been made!
When this runs out, you can always download Microsoft Security Essentials for Free & have a first class system.
I got rid of norton on all my machines & installed, among others MSE.
Good luck, keep us informed on any progress or otherwise.
Don't forget new updates (17) midnight >>?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
Hello

When you install Kaspersky it will update right then and there to give the best security you can get from them. Kaspersky does not work with other secuirty, it does work with malwarebytes, Kaspersky is like putting 2 bit bulls in the same area they just don't go together.

If you want to download software from the internet I always pause Kaspersky if it is a problem but I only had to do that once.

I use it everyday many times a day to delete things from the internet etc, when you get use to it everything will be fine, plus you can upgrade there software anytime you want for free sinse you are a member, if they come out with 2013 you would be able to get that update for free as long as you have there software...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    a6530f Desktop
    CPU
    HP-PAVILION
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra3)
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W40 series widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    300W
    Case
    Mid-Size ATX
    Keyboard
    HP Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Other Info

Media Drive
Managed to update to SP2 through the updater.

ran the updater previously, which found no new updates, normal as all was updated, but it was still SP1.
Ran it later in which the SP2 update was found, strange it wasn't found earlier !
updated it, the update stalled, stopped the updater and retried the update, this was performed over 10 times for the update to finally download. (the updater must allow for resumed connections, I hope!!)
It started to install, a new window popped up on the desktop (similar to what happens when executing the large SP2 down-loadable file), clicked install, nothing happened, the window disappeared, waited 10 mins.
shutdown in-case it installed during shutdown.
Well surprise surprise, it started to update, there were no messages stating the PC needed to be shut down for the sp2 to be installed.
it now shows up as SP2 in the properties page.

Checked the updater history, SP2 update came up as failed, unsure now if it was successful as it comes up as SP2 in properties and have no problems using the PC so far, hopefully this doesn't mean that some of the components of the SP2 were corrupt, if this was true wouldn't the install stop and revert back to the previous setup ?
used the microsoft fixit tool to clear the update list, ran the search for new updates, only found net framework files and IE9.
( whats the problem with the frame network files, isn't the updater supposed to be automatic, when trying to download and install in SP1, some of these files do not download, individually selected these and no movement when downloading, needed to manually download from microsoft site.
The same problem happened trying to update the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Windows Vista SP2, and Windows Server 2008 SP2 x86 (KB2416470), downloaded this from the site- no problems)

americancritic
This is why Vista was re-installed, no other software was installed, only used the net to update Vista.
The Vista firewall and defender, user account was turned off.
tried numerous ideas from the kaspersky forums, even ran the get system info tool, for other members of the forum to check if there was a clash.
The only suggestion was to update vista to SP2, could not perform this as the files were corrupted during download.
decided to use Norton again, and installed-updated and setup the PC with all other programs needed.
un-installed kaspersky using the tool supplied on the kaspersky site.

Installed KIS2011 (which is the latest build) for 1 final attempt (before purchasing Norton), updated the database which finally worked.
Why it finally worked is unknown, as every thing that was tried previously failed and in the end made no difference.
The only reason i believe it finally worked, is due to sending a message to kaspersky support,
As in the previous post, the update folder database arrangement has changed, as well as the updater now not accessing the site which contained the problem file-s, the site no longer exists, and this is the only explanation of the cause, that the data was registered for an older build version 11.0.1.400, not the new version 11.0.2.556.

the reason for downloading the files manually from the site was not to place them into the update folder, it was as a test if the file could be downloaded using wireless broadband, if it didn't download manually from the site, it could not be a problem with the kaspersky installation or clashing e.t.c
if knowing this earlier, a new vista install, and all the problems that followed would not have occurred.
the file download was tested with the firewall e.t.c. turned off.

My Computer

Back