Solved Problems with latest update?

Today I received notice of 90MB of updates for Vista. I dutifully downloaded the lot and let them install. This of course required a reboot, and when the update process finally ended and displayed my Vista screen, it was like nothing I had ever seen before. It looked like a brand new computer... and that's not good in this case. No familiar Desktop with miscellaneous icons, no programs in the tray, it was as though I'd just brought a new computer home an plugged it in.

I was able to find Windows Explorer and, much to my dismay, it showed nothing much of a menu tree. None of my documents, programs, pictures, etc. Again, just like a new computer. "Oh, s - - t," I said to myself. My wife said, "Just restart it." "No, 'dear,' that won't do anything, all my files are gone. I'm sunk... personally and professionally." Of course I'd backed up, but hadn't mirrored the drive, so I figured I was faced with reloading all the programs and pulling in files off the backup drive.

But I restarted anyway, and lo and behold, was back in business... the old familiar Desktop, all my applications, etc. Can anyone explain this?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 530S
    CPU
    Pentium dual-core E5200
    Motherboard
    Yes, it has one
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Part of motherboard
    Sound Card
    Part of motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VS13518
Hello sounds like rebooting it worked, just goes to show we should listen to our wife's a lot more often. I would give her some flowers and tell her how much she is needed.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    a6530f Desktop
    CPU
    HP-PAVILION
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra3)
    Memory
    8 Gigs of Ram/DDR2 PC2-6400 MB/sec
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Sound Card
    Intergrated Realtex ALC888S Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W40 series widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    1 640 GB Sata transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec speed: 7200 RPM
    PSU
    300W
    Case
    Mid-Size ATX
    Keyboard
    HP Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
    Other Info
    Processor: AMD Phenom X3 8450 Operating speed: Up to 2.1 GHz, Number of cores: 3, Socket: AM2+, Bus speed: 3600 MHz HT3 (clocked down to 2000 MHz)

Modem: 56K WinModem/

Supermulti: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X Ram (+/-)R DL Lightscribe SATA Drive

Menory Card Reader: 15-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader

Media Drive
Certainly the best (and only) response to, and fix for, the problem. Since no one else chimed-in with a similar experience, I can only assume, "it must be something I did." Thanks for the suggestion(s); she knows it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 530S
    CPU
    Pentium dual-core E5200
    Motherboard
    Yes, it has one
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Part of motherboard