Solved Realtek 8187 Drivers and WPA

I have the Realtek 8187 Wireless adapter on my board, and I am unable to connect to a router with security enabled. I am not as concerned with my home network as I am using MAC address filtering on my router for security, but I want to be able to travel with the laptop and use it on other networks.

I am using an older driver and am sure that an update will fix the issue, but I want to make sure that I can revert back to the old one if I run into problems. Is it simple to revert back to an old driver that I know works (at least on my home router)?

Thanks in advance for any help.....

My Computer

I have the Realtek 8187 Wireless adapter on my board, and I am unable to connect to a router with security enabled. I am not as concerned with my home network as I am using MAC address filtering on my router for security, but I want to be able to travel with the laptop and use it on other networks.

I am using an older driver and am sure that an update will fix the issue, but I want to make sure that I can revert back to the old one if I run into problems. Is it simple to revert back to an old driver that I know works (at least on my home router)?

Thanks in advance for any help.....

If this is a 2 part problem you have here, then lets start off with the Wireless adapter. As it seems, the RTL8187L can support any security method available on modern routers (64-bit, 128-bit WEP, TKIP, and AES along with WPA and WPA2).
So security shouldnt be an issue with this adapter.

You may want to try and see if there are issues with your router's wireless settings (i.e. wireless channel, RTS threshold, Etc.) and same with the onboard wireless in your laptop (find your network device in the network section of the control panel and right-click->properties->configure...-> advanced). See what settings can be changed to be compatible with your router's.

As for ease of driver rollback/uninstall, it is actually easy as long as you still carry the same driver that you previously had. The only things that change when installing a different network driver are configuration settings i told you how to change of your network device, in this case being the Realtek 8178 wireless adapter.

Oh, and welcome to the Vista Forums. :geek:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    JUST ME/Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad Q9550 E0 2.83 Ghz @ 4037.5 Ghz
    Motherboard
    EVGA NFORCE 790I SLI FTW Digital PWM
    Memory
    8 Gig Corsair XMS3 DHX 1600 Mhz DDR3 CAS 9
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x GTX 480's w/ Koolance VID-NX480's
    Sound Card
    Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium (non-Fatal1ty) Edition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer P243W 24" Premium Series
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1 TB HDD 32mb cache
    (3 Platters, 6 Heads model)
    PSU
    Ultra X4 1050W PSU 76A Rated 12V SLI
    Case
    Antec 1200 Full tower ATX case
    Cooling
    x2 Thermaltake Blue LED 120mm 2800rpm fans, Zalman CNPS 9900
    Keyboard
    Logitech LX310 2.4 Ghz Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech LX310 2.4Ghz Wireless Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    32mb Download, 12mb Upload from Comcast
    Other Info
    300$ custom watercooling setup. Antec 1200 big boy Radiator, Dual bay XPSC reservoir with clear bubble window, OCZ hydropulse 800L/H 12v pump, 12 ft tygon 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing, Feser One UV Green 1 L fluid. (and VID-NX480 waterblock)
I have got it working :D !! I went to the Realtek website and pilfered through the drivers they had listed under 8187. There were three; 8187b, 8187L, and 8187SE. My particular 8187 was listed (in my system) as Realtek 8187 USB 2.0 Wireless. After a bit of trial and error, I found that the driver I needed was the Realtek 8187b. I connected to a secure network and am able to browse normally. I hope this post is helpful to others as I know (from my research) this has been a reoccurring issue with Vista and this Wireless unit.

My Computer

I have got it working :D !! I went to the Realtek website and pilfered through the drivers they had listed under 8187. There were three; 8187b, 8187L, and 8187SE. My particular 8187 was listed (in my system) as Realtek 8187 USB 2.0 Wireless. After a bit of trial and error, I found that the driver I needed was the Realtek 8187b. I connected to a secure network and am able to browse normally. I hope this post is helpful to others as I know (from my research) this has been a reoccurring issue with Vista and this Wireless unit.

Well, all it takes is a reinstall of some correct drivers i see. :cool:

As long as you have got it worked out for now, then its good to know you solved your problem.

(if ive helped you in any way on this issue, please click the middle weight balance icon in the upper right corner. your gratitude is appreciated.)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    JUST ME/Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad Q9550 E0 2.83 Ghz @ 4037.5 Ghz
    Motherboard
    EVGA NFORCE 790I SLI FTW Digital PWM
    Memory
    8 Gig Corsair XMS3 DHX 1600 Mhz DDR3 CAS 9
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x GTX 480's w/ Koolance VID-NX480's
    Sound Card
    Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium (non-Fatal1ty) Edition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer P243W 24" Premium Series
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1 TB HDD 32mb cache
    (3 Platters, 6 Heads model)
    PSU
    Ultra X4 1050W PSU 76A Rated 12V SLI
    Case
    Antec 1200 Full tower ATX case
    Cooling
    x2 Thermaltake Blue LED 120mm 2800rpm fans, Zalman CNPS 9900
    Keyboard
    Logitech LX310 2.4 Ghz Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech LX310 2.4Ghz Wireless Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    32mb Download, 12mb Upload from Comcast
    Other Info
    300$ custom watercooling setup. Antec 1200 big boy Radiator, Dual bay XPSC reservoir with clear bubble window, OCZ hydropulse 800L/H 12v pump, 12 ft tygon 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing, Feser One UV Green 1 L fluid. (and VID-NX480 waterblock)
Back