Renaming Files - any way to include the extension

MarkAgnum

This is probably small to most people and maybe many prefer it now, but when manually renaming a file the extension is not highlighted forcing me to have to perform a second manual operation to highlight the whole filename.

It is the 'rename' function but I use it to copy and paste the entire file name. Like I said it is probably a minor thing to most, but I do this many, many times a day so if there was anyway to have this function behave like it did in all previous Windows versions I would like to know how to do that.

Thank You,
Mark Agnum

My Computer

This is probably small to most people and maybe many prefer it now, but when manually renaming a file the extension is not highlighted forcing me to have to perform a second manual operation to highlight the whole filename.

It is the 'rename' function but I use it to copy and paste the entire file name. Like I said it is probably a minor thing to most, but I do this many, many times a day so if there was anyway to have this function behave like it did in all previous Windows versions I would like to know how to do that.

Thank You,
Mark Agnum

Hi Mark,

Youe need to have the show file extions in the Folder Options checked to see the extensions.

Here's how:
1. open Folder Options (Control Panel or Tools in a Explorer(not IE7) window)
2. click on View tab
3. Uncheck Hide extentions for know file types
4. click OK to apply

Hope this helps,
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
The extension are shown

Thank you for the response.

Thats not the issue - the extensions are shown. If you highlight a file in Windows Explorer (that has an extension) and right-click->rename OR single-click after it is highlighted - the filename is ready to edit but not the extension. Every other Windows version I have ever used the entire filename including the extension was ready to edit (copy, rename, delete or whatever). I would think this would be easy to duplicate, and I was hoping it was a setting somewhere as its a major annoyance for me.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

Youe need to have the show file extions in the Folder Options checked to see the extensions.

Here's how:
1. open Folder Options (Control Panel or Tools in a Explorer(not IE7) window)
2. click on View tab
3. Uncheck Hide extentions for know file types
4. click OK to apply

Hope this helps,
Shawn

My Computer

Ok,

I get the same as you on that, but I hit the right arrow key while the file's name is highlighted and I can then edit/rename the files extension.

Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Thanks for the reply

So the answer is no. Appreciate the reply.

It would be great when they make an "improvement" that they maybe poll users to see if it is actually something people might like. Or at least make it an option to flick on or off.

For people that deal with a lot of files Vista is not the way to go. Hang out with XP for another year or so until they figure this out.

Ok,

I get the same as you on that, but I hit the right arrow key while the file's name is highlighted and I can then edit/rename the files extension.

Shawn

My Computer

So the answer is no. Appreciate the reply.

It would be great when they make an "improvement" that they maybe poll users to see if it is actually something people might like. Or at least make it an option to flick on or off.

For people that deal with a lot of files Vista is not the way to go. Hang out with XP for another year or so until they figure this out.

No would be right. That's the only work around that I know of for now.

Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
It would be great when they make an "improvement" that they maybe poll users to see if it is actually something people might like.
Odd, that improvement alone has been the "wow" moment for a lot of people I've introduced to Vista. In the past, if you turned on extensions for an inexperienced user, more often than not they'd click rename or hit F2 and proceed to remove the extension entirely. More than likely that was the reason they were hidden by default.

For people that deal with a lot of files Vista is not the way to go.
I disagree completely, Windows ties associations to extensions as we all know, therefore you should be either changing your association or converting most of your file types, not simply renaming the extension.

What type of files are you working with that you are forever changing extensions?

Hang out with XP for another year or so until they figure this out.
I wouldn't suggest holding out for this reason, personally. This is the first time I've heard of anybody that didn't love that little tweak.

My Computer

Odd, that improvement alone has been the "wow" moment for a lot of people I've introduced to Vista. In the past, if you turned on extensions for an inexperienced user, more often than not they'd click rename or hit F2 and proceed to remove the extension entirely. More than likely that was the reason they were hidden by default.

I disagree completely, Windows ties associations to extensions as we all know, therefore you should be either changing your association or converting most of your file types, not simply renaming the extension.

What type of files are you working with that you are forever changing extensions?

I wouldn't suggest holding out for this reason, personally. This is the first time I've heard of anybody that didn't love that little tweak.

Again this isn’t an end of the world issue, just a pain in the ass. They should have left it the way it was, then if the extension was hidden and the file was highlighted, good for novices, if it wasn’t hidden just allow the whole thing to be highlighted including the extension, that way the user has the choice, like in previous versions of Windows. If you’re going to dumb down software for the masses at least leave the option in there.

I never said I was renaming the extensions – I need to copy and paste entire file names maybe a hundred times a day and this just added an extra unnecessary step or two for me when highlighting and copying the filename to the clipboard.

This particular issue wasn’t the reason I suggested holding off on Vista - I recommend holding off on Vista if you deal with a lot of files for the simple fact that Vista’s file handling is about half the speed of XP’s. Copy, Paste, Move, and that damn calculating time remaining thing on Deleting. I paid for better software not software that would slow my work down.
I moved from an AMD64 with 2GB and XP64 to a QX6700 quad processor, 4GB, and a 10K Raptor with Vista Ultimate64 - my file functions are about HALF the speed. THIS is why I recommend holding on to XP for now if you deal with a lot of files.

My Computer

Back