Repair Vista ?

Bytesback

Hi,

I succesfully managed to break Vista :) I installed a firewall it didn't like, ignored all the dire warnings and killed it.

I could get into safe mode and uninstall it but that didn't stop the reboot cycle it had got itself into. Not to worry I thought ! I'll do a repair of windows like we did with XP. Erm............... Well I would have, except Either Microsoft left it out or I'm thick :confused:

I Booted with the Vista DVD, I then had a choice of install or repair. Well the repair option is just the XP repair with a graphical front end. Looked at the tools on option and didn't see one to help. So I went forward to the install to see if a repair option would appear, but no.

So, did I miss it or did they leave it out ?

My Computer

Did you manage to sort it? as I broke my the Vista on my office PC today, havent tried to fix it yet as my install disk was at home :rolleyes:

I am gonna be gutted if there is no XP style repair as thats what my PC needs.

Note to self:- Shut down PC before pulling the power :(

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 11 Workstation
    Manufacturer/Model
    doofenshmirtz evil incorporated
    CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
    Motherboard
    Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 64GB (4x16GB) 3600MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB ROG Strix LC OC
    Sound Card
    Creative
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3 x27" Dell U2724D & 1 x 34" Dell U3415W
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-e 4.0 x4 NVMe Solid State
    Drive
    PSU
    1500W ThermalTake Toughpower
    Case
    ThermalTake Level 10 GT
    Cooling
    Enermax Liqtech 240
    Keyboard
    Surface Ergonomic.
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    350 Mb/s
    Other Info
    WinTV NovaTD
    HP CP1515n Color Laser
    Sony BD-5300S-0B Blu-ray Writer
    Microsoft LifeCam Cinema
    APC 750i Smart UPS
  • Operating System
    windows 10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    1.9GHz Intel Core i5-4300U (dual-core, 3MB cache, up to 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost)
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 4400
    Monitor(s) Displays
    12" Multi Touch
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 144
    Hard Drives
    128GB
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Keyboard
    yes
    Internet Speed
    350 Mb/s
No :confused:

However, I did find if you go forward to the install section, choose the partition Vista is already on ( at this point the xp setup would ask you if you want to repair ) you are given the option to install windows in a new directory.

The old windows directory is renamed windows.old and the program files folder and users folders are put inside it. You are assured that you will be able to delete this later.

Ok I though I'll try that then, windows installed and the old folder was there, but you cant delete it. Access denied all the time, even as admin you cant. You can take ownership but it still wont let you. You cant even delete it from XP on a dual boot machine.

So I then booted a live linux, still cant delete it !!

AAAAARGGGGGGGHHHHHHH :eek:

Oh sod it, wipe, reinstall :mad:

My Computer

This may help ( but probably not :mad::D )

Windows Vista Repair Options

Windows Vista does not contain a Recovery Console, therefore doing a repair install like that we are familiar with in Windows XP is not possible. Instead, if you need to replace the operating system, you either have to re-install Vista from scratch, or else re-image the drive from a backup source created using the Windows Vista Backup Status and Configuration application. this then effectively replaces the current copy of Windows Vista with a shadow copy you backed up previously.
This backup option is the only one provided by Windows Vista. of course there are other ways of imaging your hard drive, but these require the user to purchase a third party application.
Of course, re-imaging is one option. If, however, you are simply experiencing startup problems or perhaps you cannot readily access your system and need to do a system restore, then you need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.
How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.
Windows Installation Disk

NOTE

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option
1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS
2/ Start the PC
3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive
4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'
5/ Press Any key to start the booting process
6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'
7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible
8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen
9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear
10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button
11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option
12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation
13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button
14/ You are now presented with the following set of recovery options
  • Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
  • System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
  • Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
  • Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
  • Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window
15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts
Pre-Installed Options

NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.
1/ Start your PC
2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again
3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key
4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear
5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter
6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button
7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK
8/ The recovery options should now appear

My Computer

Back