Solved Shorted out hard drive?

Slammer

Destroyer of Tyranny
Vista Guru
I have been trying to use an old IDE internal HD as an external one using a borrowed IDE to USB adapter with power supply. I'm not an expert on hardware, and the instructions included were far from thorough. I carefully removed it from the old computer (it kept giving the blue screen of death and it's too old for me to bother trying to fix it) and carefully connected it to the adapter and power supply and got it spinning up. When I plugged the USB end into my computer, it showed that it installed the drivers successfully and was ready to use. But I couldn't find it anywhere in My Computer. I checked the instruction paper and it only had instructions for OSs up to XP. So I unplugged it and reattached it a couple times to see if that would get it working. After a couple times doing this (I can't remember in what order I unplugged things) the HD stopped spinning up when I plugged it in to the power supply. I can still feel it trying to (it gives a little bzz about every second and I can feel it "trying" to move by the way it shakes a little bit; I'm not sure how to explain it except that it feels like it's starting to spin and then stops just as quickly, and repeats consistently every second-ish) Listening closely I can hear it making other noises as well, like the clicking sound on older systems you hear when the HD is really busy.

I know static could be a big problem, but don't know how to diagnose what all this means, and can't find a similar situation online. It wouldn't be a huge problem if it was totally fried or something, but I'd really like to know what to do and try to get it working again. I was going to put it back in the original computer and see if I could get it to work there, but the power cable has gone missing and I don't know when I'll be able to find it/steal one from another computer laying around my house. Any ideas from someone who knows anything about hardware would be appreciated.

Also, if you happen to notice my other threads about the new hard drive I'm getting, this adapter I'm using now isn't mine. I'm just borrowing it to get a feel for this kind of stuff. I still need help in those other threads :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 @ 2.00 GHz
    Motherboard
    DELL - 27d90219 Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (DPMS), 15.3" (34cm x 19cm)
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Portable 320 GB used for separate storage of media, plugged into USB port as needed.
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Touchpad, + Logitech wireless mouse (USB)
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info
    Usually have low HD free space left (<10 GB), often left on overnight. I really push its capabilities.
Nevermind, I hooked it directly up to the power cable in the old computer and that powered it fine, so it's an issue with the power adapter. Unfortunately, the actual IDE to USB adapter doesn't work either. Either the driver for it is faulty, or the cable itself is. It shows that it's installing the drivers, and that it installed successfully, but plugging it into the hard drive does nothing. It doesn't show up as a storage device. And of course it came from china, so no brand or any way of getting support for it. And the net doesn't have any kind of "generic" driver for it, so I've given up on it. I even tried it on an XP machine and got the same (lack of) results.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Portable 320 GB used for separate storage of media, plugged into USB port as needed.
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info
    Usually have low HD free space left (<10 GB), often left on overnight. I really push its capabilities.
Try plugging it in and then reboot top see if it shows after.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
I'll try that idea out when I get some more time to mess with it. For now I'll just assume it's broken and mark it as solved, but I'll post if that helped when i get around to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 1545
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Internal 320 GB
    Cooling
    Single built in fan
    Keyboard
    Built in
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    ~150 kilobytes/sec DL
    Other Info
Back