Solved Shouldn't BIOS updates improve things, not worsen them?

Cytherian

Vista Guru
Yesterday I updated my BIOS, because I noticed that the one loaded was considerably behind the latest releases, the 2nd to last stating some added compatibility with Vista SP2. Since I have SP2 installed, I figured it would be a good idea to update to the latest. Usually firmware fixes scroll forward, so the latest one would have all of the improvements and optimizations.

Well, my boot up time increased significantly, at least 25% and perhaps up to 50%. I took the absolute latest BIOS for my machine (and yes, I verified that it is for Vista x64). So, I figured perhaps I should roll back to the 2nd to last updated BIOS--same thing. Now I'm thinking that maybe this wasn't such a good idea and that I should go back to the BIOS I had originally.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has run into this kind of symptom with a BIOS update. Also... even though a BIOS update has various fixes and improvements, is it always best to wait until there's an obvious reason to upgrade, such as support required for an added device?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5t
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo 2.53GHz
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 9600M GT 512Mb
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800 32bit
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Momentus XT 500Gb
    Hitachi Travelstar HTS543225L9A300 250Gb
    Mouse
    Microsoft 4000
isnt bios flashed rather than installed as an updated download.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    acer aspire/5515
    CPU
    amd
    Motherboard
    nile
    Memory
    3gb upgradable to 4gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ati x1200
    Sound Card
    realtech hd audio using software 2.72 with built in eq.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    generic
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    hitachi 160gb: actual 149gb.
    Cooling
    heat pipe
    Keyboard
    built in
    Mouse
    wireless logitech m705 marathon.
    Internet Speed
    att uverse internet
As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :p Okay, there are some exceptions!

I've seen BIOS updates not play nicely with overclocking, but I haven't heard of it making the boot time longer before, especially to that extent! Had you configured your BIOS in any way to improve your boot times? These settings will be gone now if you have. I know it's a long shot, but I really don't know what else to suggest.

http://www.sevenforums.com/overclocking-case-mods/251850-post-your-overclock-2-a-3.html#post2043861

Okay, there are better examples out there...

I'm about to update my BIOS for the first time since overclocking, fingers crossed!

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
It sounds almost like the BIOS update set the HD to some slow "compatibility mode" or something. But I would ask here:

HP Business Support Center

Everyone on that forum has HP hardware.

Even though it says "business" it's not a paid support. It's user volunteered support like here.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
A BIOS update may upset certain drivers - the IRST drivers immediately spring to mind, and may need to be reinstalled.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Thanks for the advice on this, guys.

I rolled back to my earlier BIOS and the "impression" I got was that it was only a little bit faster. I read up further and I think Tom is right, in that the BIOS should not increase boot time once you're into the first part of Vista system start. I think this may have to do with other "tweaks" that were done earlier and not immediately verified. I sometimes go for a couple of weeks without a reboot (just go into sleep mode).

Anyway, the mantra of "if it's not broken, don't fix it" certainly applies with computer software, especially where firmware is concerned. It seems that it's best to wait until you're forced to upgrade it, rather than chance something going wrong or having compatibility issues with other drivers.

Tom, I've never bothered to try overclocking my CPU. I see that you've done it to yours. What are the reasons why and have you experienced a notable improvement?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5t
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo 2.53GHz
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800 32bit
    Hard Drives
    Seagate Momentus XT 500Gb
    Hitachi Travelstar HTS543225L9A300 250Gb
    Mouse
    Microsoft 4000
Thanks for the advice on this, guys.

I rolled back to my earlier BIOS and the "impression" I got was that it was only a little bit faster. I read up further and I think Tom is right, in that the BIOS should not increase boot time once you're into the first part of Vista system start. I think this may have to do with other "tweaks" that were done earlier and not immediately verified. I sometimes go for a couple of weeks without a reboot (just go into sleep mode).

Anyway, the mantra of "if it's not broken, don't fix it" certainly applies with computer software, especially where firmware is concerned. It seems that it's best to wait until you're forced to upgrade it, rather than chance something going wrong or having compatibility issues with other drivers.

Following this thread, I thought I should try updating my BIOS for the first time and seeing how I get on. I think I've got lucky - so far so good! :)

Tom, I've never bothered to try overclocking my CPU. I see that you've done it to yours. What are the reasons why and have you experienced a notable improvement?

The speed listed in my system specs was the stock clock speed, I've updated it now to show my overclock. There's just the one reason for overclocking: performance. Well, that and keeping the BSOD team busy with the ridiculous number of times that my desktop blue screened during my overclocking experiments :p I think the final number was about 15! But I'm stable now, 4.4GHz @1.26V. My desktop is noticeably faster now and will run Photoshop, Virtualbox, Outlook and plenty of Firefox tabs without things starting to crash.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
OK, so in this case it's more about squeezing more performance out of an already taxed system. I've not dared to think of overclocking my HP dv5 laptop, because it gets hot enough running as it is. But it'll be fun to experiment on my old desktop one of these days when I get around to it. Computer project number 19. ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv5t
    CPU
    Intel Core Duo 2.53GHz
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800 32bit