• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Slowboot due (possibly) checkdisk after crash

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, hence my first post.

I'm having this weird problem which I just can't resolve and it's driving me crazy.
I'm running Vista 64-bit Sp1 .
Specs(in short):
Q6600 2.4hgz
2 x 1 gig Corsair
GFX 8800GTX MSI 768mb

Recently I had a crash while I was playing a game, so I rebooted manually because I had too.

From that time, when Vista boots, my harddisk makes a weird loud noice everytime before entering loginscreen and my boottime is extended with +-20sec.

I've figured out myself that since the crash ,I watched a startup log and saw that Vista does a quick chkdisk, which would explain the extra noise my HD does just before booting.

I've tried everything , from checking for a dirty-bit , disabling autochkddk to even formating my system.

But every time my system crashes, the next time it boots , my HD makes a weird noise.

Is there any solution to this problem or am I just unlucky it's only me that is having this problem?

Kind regards

sidney1st

Vista Guru
Perform a checkup with a HDD diagnostic tool, preferably a tool which refers to the manufacturer of your disk.
Problem could be due to the fact that when you rebooted manually, the HDD was active and working.

EDIT:
Check the integrity of your HDD/partitions with fsutil:

Run CMD as administrator
fsutil dirty query c:

Last edited:
I've tried the command above , and it's says it's clean.

I'll try to download a diagnostic tool for my HD this weekend.

Tnx for the idea.

edit:
I've downloaded the tool , and I ran a quick test.
I passed it.
Altough I think it's a software issue due Vista I'll do an extensive test when I have time and I will post the result here.

Last edited:
I am having exactly the same problem, except mine started after in installed SP1. Dunno if that helps or hinders your diagnosis!

Well , I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue.
It seems to be a common issue, with some people it can be resolved with solutions that already have been posted in other threads here.

But I tried them all with no result.

Anyways, I've done an extended test, and I passed it , just like I tought.

[img=http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/952/hdtestec4.th.jpg]

Now I'm pretty sure it's software issue due servicepack 1, like Adamgoon stated before.

Anyways I'm running out of idea's.

If someone perhaps had a similair issue , and found a solution, I would really appreciate it if they would share it:o

Anways , tnx for the replies so far and thumbs up for this forum.

Kind regards

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, hence my first post.

I'm having this weird problem which I just can't resolve and it's driving me crazy.
I'm running Vista 64-bit Sp1 .
Specs(in short):
Q6600 2.4hgz
2 x 1 gig Corsair
GFX 8800GTX MSI 768mb

Recently I had a crash while I was playing a game, so I rebooted manually because I had too.

From that time, when Vista boots, my harddisk makes a weird loud noice everytime before entering loginscreen and my boottime is extended with +-20sec.

I've figured out myself that since the crash ,I watched a startup log and saw that Vista does a quick chkdisk, which would explain the extra noise my HD does just before booting.

I've tried everything , from checking for a dirty-bit , disabling autochkddk to even formating my system.

But every time my system crashes, the next time it boots , my HD makes a weird noise.

Is there any solution to this problem or am I just unlucky it's only me that is having this problem?

Kind regards
I am having exactly the same problem, except mine started after in installed SP1. Dunno if that helps or hinders your diagnosis!
Well , I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue.
It seems to be a common issue, with some people it can be resolved with solutions that already have been posted in other threads here.

But I tried them all with no result.

Anyways, I've done an extended test, and I passed it , just like I tought.

[img=http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/952/hdtestec4.th.jpg]

Now I'm pretty sure it's software issue due servicepack 1, like Adamgoon stated before.

Anyways I'm running out of idea's.

If someone perhaps had a similair issue , and found a solution, I would really appreciate it if they would share it:o

Anways , tnx for the replies so far and thumbs up for this forum.

Kind regards
Hello to both,
May I suggest a Sfc /scannow first, then run a chkdsk /f again. If you are not sure how to do those, let us know.
If you can do those 2 functions, and problem still persists, perhaps you would want to contact MS Help & Support. They offer e-mail suppoert, chat support and phone support. Click the link below : - ( The link is for SP1 issues ) The link's wording may sound strange, trust me, it's the right link.

Please Verify your Location

Inform me if your problem resolved. Thank you.
PS. You might just have a hardware problem i.e. your harddisk.

Last edited: