Solved SP1 and GRE

Randelung

Hi,

I'm new around, but I figured that I found so many solutions to problems in this forum, if anyone can help me he's probably here. So hi@all :).

I've wanted to set up a VPN for some time now, but it never worked. Then a few days ago I figured my HD is full anyway, might as well do a fresh and clean install of vista. Before that I could find out, that the problem with VPN (PPTP) lies in GRE not being accessible for some reason. I have the two pptp tools from XP (pptpsrv and pptpclnt) with which I was able to confirm that at least pining worked after the fresh install. I got myself a copy of a standalone SP1 from MS and installed it first thing - and it didn't work anymore.
Then I thought I might as well try all other updates first and see if that helps. So I installed every update I found and tested after every 20th update, and it kept working until the only update left was SP1. Which by now was only about 60MB. Right before the install (before I clicked Install) I tried one last time and the tools passed the test without a problem. Right after SP1 it's back to where I started a few days ago, GRE is blocked, the tools throw WSASocket() failed: 10013.

So I'm pretty sure it's SP1 that causes the problem, my question is, does someone know a way to fix the error or a way around SP1? Not installing it is not an option, Office 2010 won't install without it, WLE 2011 are not available etc. I've searched at least three internets for a solution, but I got nothin'.

Any help at all is appreciated :).

My Computer

Yeah, this always happens to me. I post in a forum, and two minutes later I find something.

Someone said to run the tool as admin. Worked instantly. Now at least that's working.

Thanks to anyone who saw this in the short time it was online :P

My Computer

Ok, managed to get VPN halfway working. IP connectivity says not connected and Details are blank, but that's not so bad, XP tells me that Vista has an IP and XP does too. I can ping the XP (after I turned off the firewall which blocked ICMP), however I can't ping the Vista PC for some reason. Turned off the firewall on that connection too, but it still won't respond to any pings. How do I tell the firewall to leave the connection alone completely? I went to firewall - advanced and unticked the connection, but it doesn't seem to be enough. No idea what to do in advanced firewall :P

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Only with firewall completely turned off does it respond.

Edit 2: You know what, who cares about pings. Be it as it may, I can telnet to the remote desktop service from the laptop, I don't need pings :P

Last edited:

My Computer

Back