Solved SP2 download causing oxc0190036 error & freezing O.S. during installation on restart.

MacAttack

I installed the Vista Home Premium 64-bit service pack 2 without running the 'System Update Readiness Tool' because I was not prompted to do so. I also did not deactivate my anti-virus protection before attempting the upgrade because I did not know this was required and didn't see any warning that it was. As a result upon restarting my O.S. the installation of Vista service pack 2 starts automatically. That is until I receive the message as follows at the top of a black screen:
!! 0xc0190036 !! 4159/75360 (webengine.dll)
This occurs every time I attempt to start my pc. The anti-virus software is probably preventing the service pack 2 from installing files in the registry causing it to freeze during startup. It does not allow me access to Vista to rectify this fault or an option to retrace or deactivate the automatic install process.
I have an ASUS M3A78 Pro motherboard with BIOS version 0902. I am also running the ASUS Express Gate O.S. which boots up prior to the Vista O.S. without problems. This has limited functionality and I cannot run any software that may resolve this problem such as RegCure, I can download it onto a USB stick but cannot install it without access to Vista.
Any solution to prevent me from disposing of my Samsung 1TB hard drive and regaining access to Vista would be appreciated.

My Computer

Re: SP2 download causing oxc0190036 error & freezing O.S. during installation on rest

Express gate is entirely independent of the OS and as you have discovered, useless for your needs.

Essentially the error code means that the file that is trying to be patched by SP2 is corrupted. In this case webengine.dll

If you can get to a cmd prompt either through safe mode or the Vista installation/repair disc, you can try running sfc /scannow to attempt to repair the file

or

use the cmd prompt to delete/rename the file that will be replaced by SP2.

webengine.dll can be found at:
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727

Here are a couple of threads with similar issues/workarounds:

Black screen on reboot during install, !! 0xc0190036 !! 4068/72408 (cdosys.dll.mui) flashing onscreen

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-installation-setup/142270-sp1-fails-message-0xc0190036.html

Hope one of them works for you:)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    i7 3770K HT ON 4.7GHz
    Motherboard
    P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    X-FI Forte + ATH-AD900
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x2 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200 / 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200W
    Case
    Lian Li PC-V1020A
    Cooling
    NH-D14: 3x140mm Gelid Wing 14: Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine Cherry MX Black
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs:
    Clevo Sager P170HM //
    17.3 Matte 1920x1200 //
    i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz //
    Dedicated GTX 485M //
    240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray //

Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0
Re: SP2 download causing oxc0190036 error & freezing O.S. during installation on rest

Thank you for your help smarteyball :)
The solution I decided upon was to press the F8 key during the boot process with my Vista intallation disk in the drive. I then selected to re-install the O.S. which copied over the previous intallation. No data was lost because it is saved automatically into a file named 'Windows.old' on the c: drive and I now have a fully functional pc/hardrive once again.
A possible cause of this problem is that I did'nt use Windows Update as soon as I installed the O.S. the first time round and instead downloaded various game & program files that altered the original registry. This prevented sevice pack 2 installing causing my pc to freeze on startup. If you have a copy of your O.S. on disk then this is by far the easiest option.

My Computer

Glad to hear you got it working again :)

You should be able to safely remove the windows.old now to reclaim the space.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    i7 3770K HT ON 4.7GHz
    Motherboard
    P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    X-FI Forte + ATH-AD900
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x2 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200 / 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200W
    Case
    Lian Li PC-V1020A
    Cooling
    NH-D14: 3x140mm Gelid Wing 14: Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine Cherry MX Black
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs:
    Clevo Sager P170HM //
    17.3 Matte 1920x1200 //
    i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz //
    Dedicated GTX 485M //
    240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray //

Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0

i have a simular issue. im getting 0xc0190036 805/44315 (ntmarta.dll) i tried to use my anytime update disk to do a automatic repair no change opened cmd tried to run chkdsk /r no change then ttried to run sfc /scannow no change so i took out the hd and put it in a external then connected to another vista32 pc and ran chkdsk /r fixed some files then ran sfc /scannow fix some more files deleted some libaries and repaired ntmarta.dll. poped hd back into pc still hangs. last option i wanna use is format reinstall. any other suggestions ?

My Computer

Same problem with me, stops on 2665/57654 wmpband.dll, have tried all of the above inc. standalone install. cmd change to above dll. repair after install, scannow and forced deletion of dll files. All make no difference. It is like the sp2 has a corrupt file in it.

tried MS support with no avail too, useless in fact, despite the fact that wmp is windows media player, and the os is theirs and the sp2 is theirs. I am now left with no option but to reinstall the whole lot or pay £46 to get some help that may or may not work. Especially given this takes on average 80 minutes to check if the latest idea has worked.

Unless you lovely people have a better idea.

My Computer

I saw where you can at the command prompt type in the link for downloading however when I tried to perform these steps on my sister's Compaq computer. The hardware test and all other tests passed. Each time I click on Safe Mode or Command Prompt it shows loading Windows files then freezes.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    aspire one
Back