The "Wow" really does start now!

SuperFuzz

The Patriot
Power User
As in Wow! I really spent money on this buggy pile of steaming code?!!!

BSOD's, random restarts and program crashes...oh my! Oh and screen savers not turning on, wall papers not responding to directives to tile, stretch or native size, power saving settings not activating, system devices not being recognized, programs not working, passwords not saving,video not playing, CD burn engines not working oh and more BSOD's and random restarts when trying to do about anything.

Want to know what using Vista is like? Think back to using WinME and you'll have a close idea. Too young to remember WinME? Change your background color to blue and imagine white DOS text on the screen and your computer not doing anything, and you'll have a good idea.

Like clicking on video clips in websites and having your system restart instead of playing the clip? Upgrade to Vista. Like launching Outlook for the 50th time since you installed Vista and out of the blue getting a BSOD and hard reboot? Upgrade to Vista. Like leaving and coming back 14 hours later to find your background burned into the screen of your new high definition monitor because your screen saver never turned on? Upgrade to Vista!

Oh and before I get flamed for being inept and improperly installing, I've been building and using windows based computers since Win 3.1 and have been through every iteration of Windows since. I also checked all system hardware for Vista compatibility, did a clean install of Vista x64 on a brand new out of the box hard drive, updated all drivers to the most recent x64 versions, downloaded all Vista updates and obtained all program updates available for Vista compatibility and installed programs and tested them one at a time and checked for program stability before moving on to the next one.

The video issue has occurred with IE and Firefox and happens at random. Video works fine part of the time, then all the sudden a news clip you have viewed 2 times before sends the system into a spontaneous reboot when you click on play.

It's not all bad. The Aero interface is snazy and the windows sidebar is cool. Some of the new menu options are much easier to navigate and the new google style search engine is a drastic improvement. DX10 gaming will rock when the games finally start coming out as well. When MS irons out the bugs, as they likely will, I can see Vista being the go to OS. For right now though, my advice to everyone is to wait for the early adopters like me (or should I say sorry saps like me) to help MS sort out the bugs first and pick yourself up an SP1 release when they become available this winter or early next year!

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe (BIOS rev 16)
AMD x64 x2 FX-60
2GB Kingston DDR400
Foxconn GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs
Seagate 300GB 7200rpm 16mb cache
Windows Vista Home Premium

Last edited:

My Computer

Well, how old is your system? Might check to see if your having a overheating issue or Power Supply is faulty.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
So far I can only disagree with that post.
My Vista seems to run pretty flawlessly and the only issue I'm currently having is that Logitech haven't got Vista drivers for my mouse so I can't customize buttons; so I'll likely just shell out a few buck for a new mouse. Want to know how Vista feels? Much more smooth and whole then any of the previous OS'es I've tried from Microsoft, and much less troublesome so far.

BSOD's and random restarts does indeed sound like an overheating issue, PSU problems as mentioned by the poster above, or possible faulty memory.

My Computer

I resolved it with a software update but it most definitely would not have been an overheating issue. I have a Cooler Master Praetorian case with 2 120mm intake fans, 2 80mm rear and 1 120mm side exhaust fan, a Zalman 9500 CPU cooler and Zalman GPU cooler. GPU temps are running mid 40c, CPU is running 31c and northbridge is at 28c. Also not a power supply issue as I have a 6 month old Antec Smart Power 550w.

I actually got the majority of the issues resolved by digging and finding a vista update on the windows update site that did not auto download. I downloaded it and installed it and all of the stability issues stopped. The 2 remaining issues that it didn't resolve however, are my screen saver periodically not turning on and Vista refuses to do anything other than stretch every image to fit the desktop. It will not tile, or native size any pictures you set as a wallpaper.

Oh and now that I've had a couple of weeks to work with Vista, have ya'all seen that Mac add where the secret service guy keeps asking PC to deny or allow everything before he can talk to Mac? Well I'm in no way shape or form a mac guy but man is that add spot on! Wow Vista is a nagging wench!

My Computer

Back