TROJAN:WIN32/Peals.F!plock

No, he has not run the fix. He is going to go buy a flash drive tomorrow and put the files he wants to keep on it.

His concern is that if he puts the files he wants to keep on a flash drive, and then when he puts the files back on his computer after a "Restore to Factory Condition", will the files possibly have something in them that will reinfect his computer.

Actually I remember that TV series (I'm 68) and yes, you picked right up on it. That is the reason I chose my username.
I am always trying to learn. :)

g

My Computer

No, he has not run the fix. He is going to go buy a flash drive tomorrow and put the files he wants to keep on it.

His concern is that if he puts the files he wants to keep on a flash drive, and then when he puts the files back on his computer after a "Restore to Factory Condition", will the files possibly have something in them that will reinfect his computer.
Ask him to not transfer the files till we clean the system. It will be safe to transfer once we run a final scan to ensure the infection has been removed and get the usb vaccinated to prevent infection in the future. Also, he will need to take into consideration the amount of files as opposed to the size of USB to buy.

Go ahead and have him run the fix as soon as possible. :) We'll take care of those files as soon as I deem the computer clean.

Actually I remember that TV series (I'm 68) and yes, you picked right up on it. That is the reason I chose my username.
I am always trying to learn. :)

g
Wow! Those were the days, we're they? I was a tweenager when that show ran in the early to mid 70's. They don't make shows like that anymore.

My Computer

They don't make shows like that anymore.
I was about the same age, and remember it well - but I still reckon it's probably just as well they don't make 'em like that any more! :) I can remember stories of a few nasty injuries caused by other kids my age attempting to emulate the stunts! (I never had the stones, personally!)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Nor did I.

Me and my buddy, Dave, are going to meet up tomorrow in Costa Mesa to play a round of golf. We do this every couple of months.

So I'm putting everything on hold until Tuesday morning. Maybe Wed. even.

g

My Computer

Hi, Donna.

Okay, we've been busy.
Dave reformatted his disk to factory condition.
His factory version of IE is ver8.
When we go to download ver9 (or later versions), we get an error message that says internet explorer cannot display that page (or perform that function, I believe) and asks him to download ver 9.

But that's exactly what he's trying to do!

Okay, so we try to download Chrome. Same thing. "Cannot download this program" "Please update to Internet Explorer 9"

So a link appear for updating to ver 9, but when you click it, it says "Cannot download this program"

So essentially, we cannot download anything. We can surf and find webpages okay. But cannot download.

Can you help?

g

My Computer

Hi grasshopper,

After Dave reformatted his disk to factory condition, the first thing he should have done was to go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Updates > Check for updates. Did he do that?

Have him go to Start and Right click on Computer in the right side panel of the Start Menu then click on Properties in the list. Tell him to look under the Windows Edition area to see if it displays anything about a Service Pack (SP). What SP is installed, if any?

He should wait to uninstall bloatware and replace whatever trial version of anti virus (AV) that came with the system till he gets Windows back up to date. He will probably also need to use a special uninstall tool to remove residuals from the pre-installed trial version of whatever AV

My Computer

What AV was pre-installed on the factory install? was it properly uninstalled, and cleanup run, PRIOR to installing a new AV?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
I sincerely apologize for the long delay.
I have been terribly busy for the last week. Did not even have time to call my friend.
Spoke to him just now for the first time in 5 or 6 days.

But the good news is that he has been busy too . . . working on his computer problem.

OEM anti-virus software was Semantec Norton Anti-Virus.
At very first start up after factory restore it asked if he wanted to activate. He said NO.

Then uninstalled in control panel. Very first thing he did. Not sure what cleanup needed to run.
He downloaded Avast and it automatically downloaded Chrome for him. So now he is back pretty much to running okay.

Automatic updates are set on, and he manually clicks update every day or two.

What do you think?

g

My Computer

Hi grasshoppr,

I think he should download and run the Norton Removal Tool now to ensure that all Norton files have been removed. Many times a driver or process is left behind and can cause issues with performance. He can remove the Norton Removal Tool once that has been done. All he has to do is right click on the desktop icon and choose delete. Easy, peasy!

Tell him to make sure that he keeps checking for Windows Updates till no more are found. He will need to make sure that Service Pack 1 and 2 are installed through Windows Updates or we can provide links to the standalone versions if he would like though I prefer for Windows to download and install them before trying that route. Also, the latest version of Internet Explorer for Vista is IE9. Even if he doesn't use IE he should make sure the software is up to date.

I am quite sure that Adobe Reader, Flash and Java are way out of date so he will need to update those 2 programs as well. Both, like most outdated software, if left outdated are an invitation for malware.

He could also download PC Decrapifier to remove any software that installed by the manufacturer. Most is installed for advertising purposes and if he does not plan on using any of the software that PC Decrapifier finds then he can just get rid of it.

If he has any questions or concerns, we are more than happy to assist.

Donna :)

My Computer

He needs to run the Norton Removal Tool -
Download the Norton Removal Tool from here https://www-secure.symantec.com/nor...10133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home

Close all other programs, then run the tool. When it's complete, reboot the machine whether it asks for it or not.

After the reboot, open an Elevated Command Prompt, and run the following command

NETSH WINSOCK RESET

You'll be advised to reboot - do so.
then post another MGADiag report.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    a6530f Desktop
    CPU
    HP-PAVILION
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra3)
    Memory
    8 Gigs of Ram/DDR2 PC2-6400 MB/sec
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Sound Card
    Intergrated Realtex ALC888S Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG W40 series widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 X 900
    Hard Drives
    1 640 GB Sata transfer rating: 3.0 Gb/sec speed: 7200 RPM
    PSU
    300W
    Case
    Mid-Size ATX
    Keyboard
    HP Multimedia Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mouse 5000
    Other Info
    Processor: AMD Phenom X3 8450 Operating speed: Up to 2.1 GHz, Number of cores: 3, Socket: AM2+, Bus speed: 3600 MHz HT3 (clocked down to 2000 MHz)

Modem: 56K WinModem/

Supermulti: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X Ram (+/-)R DL Lightscribe SATA Drive

Menory Card Reader: 15-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader

Media Drive
Back