Trouble with Network Internet

nonybd

Hi,
I am running on vista 32, and am having trouble connecting to the internet via the home network (ad hoc, my dad's laptop, xp home, is the host). On XP, you can go to the window to connect to an available network, click the 'advanced properties' link, click the 'advanced' button, and you have a dialogue for changing the type of network you can hook up to. How can I get to this dialogue in Vista? And if I can't, how do I change this setting? I think it is the problem, as I can hook up to a router network, and have internet, but not an pier to pier network for internet. Help much appreciated.

My Computer

You may have already solve your problems by now but if not here are some suggestions:
1. Vista requires that all computers on your private network have the same workgroup name. Vista uses a different naming convention that XP and therefore you must manually assure they all match.

2. In Vista you must enable "network discovery" within the Network and Sharing Center area. This enables Vista to discover other computers within the same network workgroup.

Hope this is of help to you.

Hi,
I am running on vista 32, and am having trouble connecting to the internet via the home network (ad hoc, my dad's laptop, xp home, is the host). On XP, you can go to the window to connect to an available network, click the 'advanced properties' link, click the 'advanced' button, and you have a dialogue for changing the type of network you can hook up to. How can I get to this dialogue in Vista? And if I can't, how do I change this setting? I think it is the problem, as I can hook up to a router network, and have internet, but not an pier to pier network for internet. Help much appreciated.

My Computer

Thanks for replying. It is ironic that I fixed that problem just yesterday :D There was a setting wrong on the XP comp. I descovered that not only do you have to set your internet connection to shared, but you also have to click the "settings" button, to check off all features of internet that will be available over the network.

Thanks again!

My Computer

Glad you resolved your problem. I'll keep your resolution in mind for future reference.

Thanks for replying. It is ironic that I fixed that problem just yesterday :D There was a setting wrong on the XP comp. I descovered that not only do you have to set your internet connection to shared, but you also have to click the "settings" button, to check off all features of internet that will be available over the network.

Thanks again!

My Computer

Back