Vista 64 BSOD 2GB RAM

SmokyMcPot

Hi,
Ive recently installed Vista Ultimate 64 on my 18 month old gaming rig. 1st off the specs:
AMD X2 4200+
2GB Corsair RAM (2x1GB DIMMS)
ABIT AN8 32X Mobo
1x40GB Sata HDD (Vista install)
1x320GB Sata HDD (Old XP install)
Nvidia 8800GT
SB X-Fi Extreme Music

OK - my XP system has been stable for quite some time, however recently it has been taking a long time to boot, and sometimes giving random BSOD's on startup - Gaming and use once booted though has been pretty much rock solid. I decided to install Vista 64 on a new hard drive, thinking that a fresh OS install would be a fix. I did have some initial troubles with the X-Fi, creatives latest drivers have fixed that one. The Nvidia 169.25 drivers seem good. Basically I've been getting BSOD's that indicate faulty memory. IRQL LESS THAN OR EQUAL, MEMORY MANAGEMENT. After much testing I have ruled out - the X-FI, 8800GT, either the SiI SATA ports or Nvidia SATA ports. I have replaced the RAM with a brand new pair (all 4 sticks pass memtest86). Finally, the system runs stable with only 1GB of RAM. The ABIT AN8 has 2 sets of dual channel slots - the 1st and 2nd slots BSOD at Vista startup on crcdisk.sys. The 3rd and 4th slots occasionally boot into Vista, but BSOD within 10 minutes of operation.
Finally, this leads me to the conclusion that my mobo is faulty. Can anyone suggest something I may have missed, or a fault in my logic? I am loathe to RMA my motherboard, because it is a socket 939, and I hear that getting the board replaced probably means getting AM2 gear. Thanks for reading my novel :P
Matt

My Computer

Back