Vista - Clean install w OEM disc - Think I messed up BIG TIME

jsmith7192

PLEASE HELP!!!

A friend of mine upgraded my machine (that came with Vista pre installed) with a crappy version of Windows 7. My machine has been pretty much useless for a year bc the admin/system password was changed somehow. I called Dell and they gave me a new password and it got me in so I could get all of my pictures, music etc off of the hard drive. I thought that was all I had to "back up". Boy was I wrong it seems. :cry:

I thought I could use the OEM disc and do a reinstall and start over with a clean slate. So I did and it worked fine, until I realized that I didn't back up things like MICROSOFT OFFICE!!! I called Dell and they said I would have to repurchase it. I already purchased it once though, why again? I checked the product key and noticed that is has changed since the clean install.

Now I have no idea how I can get it back on my Dell laptop. I only have the OEM discs (one for the OS and one for the drivers and utilities) since my version of Windows came pre-installed. Now it's back to asking for not only the admin/system password but now a WINDOWS password as well! I asked Dell about this as well and they said there was a way to disable this but it would cost me $130+ to get it! I think I am seriously getting the run around and I'm beyond sick about it. :sick:

So my questions are:
1. Is there anyway to go back now that I have clean installed and save anything?
2. Am I screwed and will never have my Microsoft office again?
3. Why did my product key change?
4. Is there anyway to fix this?

Please help if possible!!! Thanks so much in advance!!!!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
How to Find Your Windows or Office Product Key | PCWorld

Edit: lso read the comments at the bottom. There may be some useful information.

There are many free programs that will make a backup image of the entire drive, such as Macrium Reflect Free. USB Docks are only $20 these days. You can plug in a bare internal drive instead of paying a premium for an external.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT