Vista Contact lists

Calabashman

I've just upgraded from XP and am new to Vista and this forum. My wife & I have seperate log-in accounts on vista ultimate in hopes that it would alow us to also have seperate email and contact lists. As of now we have sererate email accounts also but share a contact list between us and want to have our own, except that vista doesn't seem to allow us to do so. Is this something we'll have to live with or is there a fix somewhere? [email protected] Thank for the help. Calabashman

My Computer

Hello Calabashman,

Welcome to the forums.

As of now we have sererate email accounts also but share a contact list between us and want to have our own, except that vista doesn't seem to allow us to do so.
You can create folders inside the contacts folder for each of you if you want. Once you create the folders, right click on an empty space in the contacts folder, select 'customize this folder'. On the customize tab click on the dropdown for folder template and select contacts. Then tick apply to subfolders, OK or apply. That should do it.

Hope this works for you.

Gary

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Crucial Ballistix 4x2GB PC2 6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207 + HPvs15
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1024x768
    Hard Drives
    2-WD5000AAKS-500 GB
    WD 5000AAV-500 GB external
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve
    Mouse
    MX Revolution
    Other Info
    Wacom Intuos 2 Graphics Tablet
    Experience Index=5.5
Gary, thanks very much for offering a solution to my problem. Unfortunately, it did not work. Here's my process.
I went into my email account and created a new empty folder - I opened it - clicked inside it on the white space - right clicked customize -clicked on the dropdown menu for folder template - and selected contacts - clicked on apply to subfolders - clicked apply. Seeing the folder I then copied 3 email addresses to it, saw that they were there - transfered over to my wifes email account and saw that it had created an identicle folder in my wifes account and it contained the same 3 email addresses in it. Did I do something wrong? Still trying!! Calabashman

My Computer

Hello Calabashman,

Sorry for the confusion. Sounds like you created a new folder in your email prog. Try following the steps from inside the contacts folder. If you are in your email(Windows Mail), you can hit Ctrl+Shift+C to open 'Contacts'. Then right click inside that folder to create new folder and so on and so forth.

Please keep me posted.

Gary

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207 + HPvs15
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1024x768
    Hard Drives
    2-WD5000AAKS-500 GB
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve
    Mouse
    MX Revolution
    Other Info
    Experience Index=5.5
Thanks for sticking with me on this. Sorry I wasn't more clear with my message. I had my email account open and went into my Contacts folder - clicked on File in the menu created a new folder in there when I took all of those steps. Calabashman

My Computer

I had my email account open and went into my Contacts folder - clicked on File in the menu created a new folder in there when I took all of those steps. Calabashman

Hi Calabashman,

I believe that no matter which account you have open in WM you are opening the same contacts folder and will get the same list when you click the To: button in a new email. I know of no way to seperate them. This was just a method to organize things seperately. However when I am sending an email I simply type the name or even part of the name (john; john h) or just a last name. If there is only one john h, then when you press send it should do spell check (if turned on) and then go to the outbox. If there is more than one john h, then it should pop up a list of possibilities for you to choose from. I've had some tell me that's not how it works, but works for me. I'd be interested to know if it works for you. Only time I open contacts for email is to add a new one.

Hope this helps.
Gary

btw: It will not auto complete if you have not sent an email to this person before. Auto complete remembers the last 29 addresses.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207 + HPvs15
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 + 1024x768
    Hard Drives
    2-WD5000AAKS-500 GB
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve
    Mouse
    MX Revolution
    Other Info
    Experience Index=5.5
Thanks Gary, I'll find a way to make it work and remain married!! My auto complete feature works just like you explained it. Appreciate your help. Calabashman

BTW My wife & I lived on Mousam Lake, Shapleigh ME 8 years ago. We loved it!!

My Computer

Been a long hard winter, but I love it here.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Creative SB X-Fi